Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

need help identifying Mantle photo

This looks similar to a Jay Publishing or team issue photo. However, unlike those, it is glossy. Also, PSA apparently hasn't graded one similar. It is not a 1959 Jay All Stars because this one shows some of the "NY" letters on his jersey, while the 1959 Jay doesn't. PSA has graded one like this that is a Type 1, but the label states only that it is a c 1950s photo. Any ideas of what it is?

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

Comments

• Options
    RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a 1951 wheaties mantle test issue maybe?

• Options
    judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

I don't know, but thanks for the comment. It is the same photo used on the 1958-61 Jay Publishing photo, except that photo cuts off at the neck and does not show the uniform all the way down through the "NY" letters. And, like I said earlier, it is not 1959 Jay All Stars as that photo also cuts off before showing any lettering. The fact that it is glossy has me stumped as well. Any other thoughts?

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• Options
    RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

If anyone would know, it would be @1951WheatiesPremium ; he’s a wealth of knowledge when it comes to photos!

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@judgebuck

I think that is a team issued glossy - the photo was used by Jay Photo as the portrait pose for Mantle in their photo pack from 1958-61.

As near as I can figure, they seemed to provide items to be sold in the stadium and then sold slightly tweaked versions via mailers from their flagship Connecticut location.

This would likely have been part a photo pack that kids could buy to seek autographs or pin up at home to commemorate their trip to the Stadium.

Most parks still have similar (color) offerings in their gift shops today.

More theory than fact, though.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@Rofles said:
    If anyone would know, it would be @1951WheatiesPremium ; he’s a wealth of knowledge when it comes to photos!

Thank you, sincerely. Very kind of you to say.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

The referenced Jay Photo and a similar photo from the a Fan Club started by Jeff Randall in 1961; this photo came out in 1962 and was issued to the around 500 members.

Also, Jeff was a little kid from Queens and ran a National fan club from his bedroom! Even got a mention in Sport magazine!

• Options

Tim,

Thanks for your thoughts. I may have asked you about this photo in the past.

It's just strange to me that I have never seen this particular photo (except with the facsimile autograph you showed above) other than similar variations on the 1958-61 Jay photo and the 1959 Jay All Stars, neither of which show the "NY" lettering.

Actually, mine looks exactly like the PSA-graded Mantle photo listed on eBay by manontherock.

David

• Options

@judgebuck

trademarksportscards on eBay has some stellar and similar inventory; he’s a guy you could ask as I’ve seen similar items in his store.

• Options

@judgebuck

Just thought you might get a kick out of seeing this...

• Options

Hi Tim.

Had I joined the Mantle fan club for 25 cents I could have had an autographed picture!

And, had I joined the Mike de la Hoz fan club for only 20 cents, I would still be a lifetime member of his fan club!!

Thanks for the article.

David

• Options

@judgebuck said:
    Hi Tim.

Had I joined the Mantle fan club for 25 cents I could have had an autographed picture!

And, had I joined the Mike de la Hoz fan club for only 20 cents, I would still be a lifetime member of his fan club!!

Thanks for the article.

David

David,

I didn’t join but...

Best,

Tim

• Options

That's another cool Mantle collectable, Tim. Love all the pictures of oddball Mantle items you post here.

That photo is exactly like mine except yours has the facsimile autograph.