Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Unique Morgan Quarter Eagle sells for $384,000!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 24, 2021 4:49PM in U.S. Coin Forum

George T. Morgan's unique Quarter Eagle in gold just sold.

It's a wonderful piece and has a great provenance. I wonder who is going to add his or her name to this distinguished list!

Heritage Provenance:

Ex: Waldo Newcomer; "Colonel" E.H.R. Green; sold to F.C.C. Boyd on 6/23/1943, via B.G. Johnson; King Farouk; Palace Collections of Egypt (Sotheby's, 2/1954), lot 329; Abe Kosoff; Dr. J. Hewitt Judd; Illustrated History of U.S. Coins (Kosoff, 1961), lot 529; Dr. John E. Wilkison in 1962; Paramount International Coin Corporation in September 1973; A-Mark; Auction '90 (Superior, 8/1990), lot 1454; Orlando Sale (Superior, 8/1992), lot 494; January-February Auction (Superior, 1/1993), lot 1192; southern collection; Bob R. Simpson Collection.

Comments

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! What a beautiful piece of gold and the provenance aren’t that bad either.
    I have to stop looking at patterns. I have bought any yet but feel a strong desire to shift gears, sell
    and start into patterns. But need to win the lotto first ;):D

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is truly a beautiful and unique coin. More than I would spend though....at least on coins... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

thats a nice coin :)

• Options
    zas107zas107 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

What a neat pattern!

• Options
    earlyAurumearlyAurum Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭

Patterns are a new discovery for me. I followed some coins in the recent auction including this one. I also bought a couple. What I have a hard time figuring out is pricing on these interesting and really rare coins. Is there a good reference book on patterns that would serve me to better understand the coins and the market for them?

• Options
    GoBustGoBust Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really fantastic pattern, lovely, ridiculously rare and stunning and beautiful. Some coins are born with the right stuff!

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful!

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

They should have removed the PVC before it was slabbed.

thefinn
  • Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

cool coin but I just think about what type of No stars 1796 2 1/2 eagle I could get with 385k

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 26, 2021 1:51PM

@MrEureka said:

@Zoins said:
    George T. Morgan's unique Quarter Eagle in gold just sold.

It's a wonderful piece and has a great provenance. I wonder who is going to add his or her name to this distinguished list!

Heritage Provenance:

Ex: Waldo Newcomer; "Colonel" E.H.R. Green; sold to F.C.C. Boyd on 6/23/1943, via B.G. Johnson; King Farouk; Palace Collections of Egypt (Sotheby's, 2/1954), lot 329; Abe Kosoff; Dr. J. Hewitt Judd; Illustrated History of U.S. Coins (Kosoff, 1961), lot 529; Dr. John E. Wilkison in 1962; Paramount International Coin Corporation in September 1973; A-Mark; Auction '90 (Superior, 8/1990), lot 1454; Orlando Sale (Superior, 8/1992), lot 494; January-February Auction (Superior, 1/1993), lot 1192; southern collection; Bob R. Simpson Collection.

You can add my name to the provenance! Not because I just bought it, unfortunately, but because I owned it in 1989-90. Fantastic coin!

I remember this as a total OMG stunner. IIRC didn't you trade this and two other coins for a very nice house in a really
    nice neighborhood?

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭✭

@earlyAurum said:
    Patterns are a new discovery for me. I followed some coins in the recent auction including this one. I also bought a couple. What I have a hard time figuring out is pricing on these interesting and really rare coins. Is there a good reference book on patterns that would serve me to better understand the coins and the market for them?

2 must haves as far as Books on Patterns are "UNITED STATES PATTERNS AND RELATED ISSUES" by Andrew Pollock III and "UNITED STATES PATTERN COINS" by J. Hewitt Judd 10th addition. The latter is a Witman publication. As far as web sites bookmark USPATTERNS.com. https://uspatterns.stores.yahoo.net/
    The major auction houses will quote stats from this site in many of the descriptions on patterns.

Not sure about market information ... but Mr. Eureka is an expert and rep clients in purchases.

PCGS and NCG host auction archives so you can always research pricing trends on specific pieces.

Have fun

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 26, 2021 2:44PM

@thefinn said:
    They should have removed the PVC before it was slabbed.

I would be the first to agree that filmy proof gold might have some PVC in the film. If it were there it would, for some, scream originality. You'll see a lot of Liberty proof gold with this film. I don't know at what point manila envelopes went out of style. I don't know how Dr. Wilkinson stored his coins, so I can't speak to this specific piece even after having it in-hand. Until the late mid-80's Christie's had some auctions that consisted of 4-5 double-row boxes of raw. Stacks many more. Christie's over that period had a lot of proof gold and loads of other material still in the consigner's original manila envelopes with a lot number on it. Over an extended period of time the dust exfoliating from the envelopes would leave a thin encrustation over other films. I can't imagine, why, after its original slabbing ,this piece would have been exposed to the elements except while going through the grading process, so quien sabe? .

Please note I'm giving lots of reasons why it might not be PVC. Doesn't mean what @thefinn is suggesting doesn't have some virtue. Luckily, at the very least, PVC doesn't cause ED on gold.

I remember the coin as 66DNS. Does Not Suck is WOW. There were no CAM or DCAM designations in the 80's, but I easily recall it as very dramatic. This piece is a touch cloudier than I remember, especially on the rev. Hopefully @MrEureka can uncloud my memory. I think while he owned his trifecta he slept with them under his pillow.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crypto said:
    cool coin but I just think about what type of No stars 1796 2 1/2 eagle I could get with 385k

Yes, you could pick through dozens of 1796's and land a great one for 385K. Couldn't do that with the pattern, for sure. ;)

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:

@Crypto said:

Yes, you could pick through dozens of 1796's and land a great one for 385K. Couldn't do that with the pattern, for sure. ;)

But Andy, isn’t it the worst one known?
    😈

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

This piece is a touch cloudier than I remember, especially on the rev. Hopefully @MrEureka can uncloud my memory.

I can't say I remember it being that cloudy. Then again, I also can't remember it not being cloudy.

FWIW, it doesn't look cloudy in the Akers book on gold patterns. But looking at the coin in hand last week, the film struck me as completely likeable and safe, whatever the cause may have been. At something reasonably close to the price realized, I'd have gladly bought it.

Andy Lustig

• Options
    edited April 26, 2021 4:18PM

@earlyAurum said:

CoinFacts is very useful for auction records, but auction records can sometimes be misleading. Same as with other coins of comparable rarity. My best advice is to think hard about why each coin was made, how desirable it is, and - with no thought of past price records- what it should be worth. In other words, rarity, quality and price history is just the beginning.

One more thing. This is a really good intro to patterns, if I do say so myself! (I wrote most of it.)

https://www.ha.com/s/d/misc/simpson-patterns/

Andy Lustig

• Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:

One more thing. This is a really good intro to patterns, if I do say so myself! (I wrote most of it.)

https://www.ha.com/s/d/misc/simpson-patterns/

Nice job on the Pattern Introduction, it was well done ... I feel good that I was able to pick up a couple of the pieces that you used in the folder ... gee - I might just send those back to PCGS and have them relabel them to note they were a "Plate" coin in the publication :)

• Options
    CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

Wow. Just wow. there is no other way to describe it otherways. It' just gorgeous.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2022 4:07PM

wuderbar

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file