Home U.S. Coin Forum

Zoid commissioned some Numismatic Artwork . . . .

ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

. . . . I commissioned two pieces actually, and in the process, ended up "destroying" two of Daniel Carr's creations . . . .

I asked my favorite Hobo Nickel Artist, SteveOrino to take on a little project.

His task was to transform Daniel Carr's 2013 Buffalo Nickel commemoratives into works of art reflecting his best personal style and traditional hobo nickel art. I gave him guidance on what types of images I would like to see on the obverses and reverses, but left the details to the Master.

He transformed two of these . . . .

. . . . into these . . . . . .

Here is a little chart for translating the symbols on th Hobo King piece . . .

Enjoy.

Z

@dcarr @coinsarefun @Bullsitter @Twobitcollector @Zoins ****

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

Comments

• ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like those a lot!!

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2021 5:39PM

Awesome 👏 @ZoidMeister !

Next step is to do a 20 Dollar denomination one ;)

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool!

• TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice job. I would say they were the perfect medium for those creations.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome pieces, the engraver did a great job. The large planchet made a nice canvas for him.

Lol at Cat = Kind lady lives here..... B)

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice ones

• MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool idea!!!

I have an idea for doing one more with a different theme, but I need to find another of those Daniel Carr Indian/Buffalo Nickel commemorative pieces as a host coin.

PM me if you know someone who knows someone . . . .

Glad y'all like them. SteveOrino has a style that really captures the styles of the original creators of this art, IMHO . . . .

BTW, he is also a long time member of the OHNS, so he carries that credential and association with him as well.

Z

@Zoins said:
    Awesome 👏 @ZoidMeister !

Next step is to do a 20 Dollar denomination one ;)

Do you know of one that can be obtained reasonably? I for one, have never seen an example outside of Moonlight Mint's website reference to them. Would it be a sacrilege to sacrifice one for a project like this?

Z

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would it be a sacrilege to sacrifice one for a project like this?

No, creating a unique work of art would justify it, in my opinion.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool translation on the symbols. Has piqued my interest about this.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice work by SteveOrino....Unique creations. Thank you for showing us - you should also have them displayed at a major coin show like FUN. Cheers, RickO

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭✭✭

Steve is a very talented artist.

I have several of his creations.

GrandAm :)

@ricko said:
    Very nice work by SteveOrino....Unique creations. Thank you for showing us - you should also have them displayed at a major coin show like FUN. Cheers, RickO

Now that's a thought that would have never entered my pea-brain . . . . . .

I may need to look into going to one. Never been to a coins show.

Z

@ThreeCentSilverFL said:
    Cool translation on the symbols. Has piqued my interest about this.

Holy Crap, a very nice member of an alternate website posted this link.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/a25174860/hobo-code/

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The village I grew up in was located on a major North South railroad route. It had passenger service as well. At that time, hobo's were not uncommon in the area. I was way too young to have observed any 'signs', or even understand much about them - except for overheard adult conversation. They did have a hobo camp not far from where we lived at one time. A lot has changed since then, and though the trains still run, there is no longer passenger service or station, other than light freight. Cheers, RickO

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting items! A member of my coin club was an actual train riding hobo during the great depression. He apparently traveled to every state except Georgia and Florida. Those states were to be avoided as they would arrest hobos and put them on chain gangs. He later served in the Army in the Southwest Pacific theater and lived to be 95.

I have been told that one of my grandmothers, who lived very close to the Illinois Central railroad tracks in Chicago (my grandfather worked for that railroad) often made sandwiches for hobos who came by.

All glory is fleeting.
  • pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file