Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Do grades always matter?

ajaanajaan Posts: 17,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are images of a 1908 Maundy Set. The 1d is 'environment damage'. The other coins are graded. Can anyone tell the differences in grades? Or do you think all are the same grade? Opinions?

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is ridiculous to ED that piece

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

I don’t know - what’s on his head? Looks like he got shot....

Otherwise I have trouble grading these. Doesn’t look like any of them are proof like. Certainly look like they all could be 65 or 66s.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2021 4:15AM

Look at the big encrustation at 9:00 on the obverse rim.

@Boosibri said:

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some reasonable questions have been raised- grades matter less than what the coin actually looks like. In most instances coins really do not change but the perception of the coin may change over time.

As for the specifics of your Maundy set, they look to be in the 64-66 range with what looks to be that color/tone maundy coinage can acquire through the passage of time. I like the set. The 1d is the one I would suspect was labelled ED... and from the image, this is a tough call. The build up at 9:00 could possibly be removed by a tooth pick. I cannot tell if that effort was undertaken prior to submission. The spot on Edward's head would require a deeper look to see if the design/hair was impacted.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

The mark on the 1d looks like a spot that wasn't toned. Maybe something was removed. The spot at 9:00 is so small I'm amazed NGC took it into consideration. Very harsh IMO.

The grades on the other coins are:
    2p NGC MS65
    3p NGC MS66
    4p NGC MS67

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭

The details grade on the 1d is ridiculous. Way too harsh on NGC's part. I love that set!

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.