Options

1923-S Lincoln Cent

USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Error or PMD?

Comments

• Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 14, 2021 7:50PM

I don't think that's an error, but I am not an error expert. Nevertheless it has a nice strike for a 1923-S.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not see how you could have what appear to me as raised lines running under the letters from PMD. However I' am not an error coin expert and am equally unsure how that would happen during the striking process.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMD

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is interesting. My first instinct is to say PMD. The letters do not appear to be spaced consistently. But I am not sure how that was made. I look forward to seeing what the experts have to say.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a weird one....I look forward to seeing what @FredWeinberg has to say about this. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first instinct is that it was struck through a multistruck fragment. The mechanism would be similar to a dropped letter, where something filled the die then fell out and was struck into the surface of a subsequent coin, but on a larger scale.

Very interested to hear what other error guys think of it.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

I vote error. I see no way the corner of the E would be intact if it was PMD. I think struck through something like @seanq says. Something impacting the coin hard enough to cause that would leave a visible mark on the obverse which we don't see here.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would it be possible that a piece of the die with UNUM on it broke off and was double struck? Can't imagine how this could be done at the mint otherwise. Also, have no idea how PMD could have done it. Weird.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2021 7:51AM

You will all find out after the "BIG GUN" comments.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's also a double image under the UNUM. Strange.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 15, 2021 10:26AM

it could be what jesbroken mentioned im almost sure stranger things have happened

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BuffaloIronTail said:

There's also a double image under the UNUM. Strange.

Pete

Yes, I propose that the larger(lower) impression is the impression from the original strike of the fragment and was squished by the first through-striking(the previous coin off this press). The normal sized looking impression was added to the fragment from the through-striking of the previous coin, then was struck-through on this coin leaving what we see here.
    How this fragment would have stayed in the same general location for 3 strikes is beyond me.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

ya, i'm on-board with the other assessments about struck-through frag. pretty nifty one at that.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's struck thru a detached lamination piece -

As SeanQ said, the effect is like a Dropped Letter, but
    I don't see it as a fragment - more like a thin piece
    of detached metal.

Odd that it's from the exact area where it ended up -
    and it looks like it was struck once before it was
    struck (inverted) onto this coin.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first thought was some sort of PMD, but I can't think of any way the UNUM would be inverted and intact, and it wouldn't account for the horizontal scratches under UNUM. The more I look at it, the more likely it seems to be some sort of error as Sean or jesbroken referred to. I've really never seen anything like it. Thanks for sharing!

I'm sure the expert will be along momentarily... I'd love to get @FredWeinberg take on this piece...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options

I actually cherrypicked it from a coin club auction lot of random coins. The seller thought it was damaged...................wrong!

I submitted it to ANACS. I guess the ANACS attribution grader could also be wrong.

Thanks for playing!! ;)

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

Huh, first time ANACS and I have agreed on something in quite a while. Nice pick.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

cool looking cent!

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good pick. I like it.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file