Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A 1783 Quint for a Quint: Where Can I find One?

Off_Cent_erOff_Cent_er Posts: 164 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 13, 2021 11:19PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I have been collecting coins since I was 7 years old, mainly with the introduction of the State Quarter program in 1999. My first Red Book came as the 2002 edition where I first read about the Nova Constellatio patterns. I was fortunate enough to see them in person at the 2017 Denver World's Fair.

I am wondering if there is a reproduction plain 1783 500 unit or "Quint" example that I can purchase, preferably, without the word "copy" on it.

I can't afford a unique million dollar example, but a reproduction would make for a nice desk piece.

You see, I was very surprised to see my family's name in a coin book and used for such rare and valuable pieces. Then after reading that the plain obverse Quint may as well be the first US coin ever struck, I have been looking for a nice reproduction. My last name is Quint. I have been collecting coins for about 22 years. Since there is a coin that shares my last name, I feel I should own atleast a more modern, well made example of it.

Comments

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are reproductions available. You could alter them to remove the word COPY if it bothers you.
    Often you can pick which side has COPY, so that would be a simpler option.
    It is not legal to make and sell a reproduction without COPY.
    https://coinsofourpast.com/product/nova-constellatio-silver-1000/
    https://coinreplicas.com/product/nova-constellatio-pattern-coin-1783/

https://www.coinworld.com/news/precious-metals/researcher-concludes-1783-quint-first-us-coin.html

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can understand the attraction, and it would be a nice display and discussion piece. The second link (by @yosclimber above) appears to have an offering without 'copy' on it. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought this a few years ago from J. Kraljevich - for the cost of the real deal, I'd rather buy a nice painting. :+1:

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:
    Bought this a few years ago from J. Kraljevich - for the cost of the real deal, I'd rather buy a nice painting. :+1:

What’s the “10 C” for?

And while we are at it, whatever happened to the cent sign?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm guessing that's what the electrotype sold for at the time as a souvenir.

I suspect the adjacent gash is to reveal the underlying metal. Likely produced long before the hobby protection act.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file