Home U.S. Coin Forum

Hawaii Coins at Honolulu's Bishop Museum

1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there still a mint In Honolulu? I have a humuhumupumupumuapuaha ...whatever fish coin.

That large cent above is tough.

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always enjoyed the Hawaiian issues. I've had many of the 10, 25, 50 and dollar issues. Never really high grade stuff, AU at best. They're neat though.......I can't remember having a cent. If I did, it would have been a vg or something.....

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a significant collector base for Hawaiian coins. Strangely enough, at antique or flea markets I have frequently heard the question "Do you have any Hawaiian coins?".... I find it strange since at those shows there were never any coin tables... but I heard the question often enough to take specific notice. By the way, the answer was always no... at least when I heard the question. Cheers, RickO

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    There is a significant collector base for Hawaiian coins. Strangely enough, at antique or flea markets I have frequently heard the question "Do you have any Hawaiian coins?".... I find it strange since at those shows there were never any coin tables... but I heard the question often enough to take specific notice. By the way, the answer was always no... at least when I heard the question. Cheers, RickO

Now this is interesting.

• DrDarrylDrDarryl Posts: 585 ✭✭✭✭✭

My home state and one of my hobbies. https://thehawaiiananumismatist.com/

My 2019 visit to the Bishop Museum on the island of Oahu

Visit to 'Iolani Palace

Visit to Hawaii Sugar Plantation Village in Waipahu

Me Sea Kayaking

• 1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 15, 2021 11:40PM

@DrDarryl

Those photos are great. The Bango Tag exhibits are impressive in preserving a piece of history that would have likely been lost and in any event unrecognized today.

As a footnote - enjoyed your linked site as well.

Those Territorial Slugs were impressive and the historical references to Hawaii as the 49th State were of special interest. Of course if Alaska had not beat Hawaii to claim the distinction of being the 49th State, then we would never have had "Hawaii 5-0" - somehow "Hawaii 4-9" just would not have cut it. :)

• ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool stuff, I have the Hawaiian money book 2nd edition too! I've been lucky to have visited the Hawaiian islands several times. The next visit will be a trip to the Bishop Museum.

• 1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ElmerFusterpuck said:
    Cool stuff, I have the Hawaiian money book 2nd edition too! I've been lucky to have visited the Hawaiian islands several times. The next visit will be a trip to the Bishop Museum.

Perhaps with COVID they are offering virtual tours? I know that seems to be a trending thing.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file