Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Carson City 1879 CC Guess the Grade ?

rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭

Photos from a cheap cell phone. Hoenst opinions only. I found this in my dad's mason jar of old coins.

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers

Comments

• Options

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • Options

• Options

• Options

is it a Capped type?

• Options

Extra cap over CC mint mark - for discussion, how rare is THAT >>!

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe the capped CC is the more common variety.
    The coin looks like it may have had an old cleaning, and I’d estimate the grade as ~VF25/30.
    Any ‘79CC is a nice find.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

F15-VF20 Cleaned

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a VF30 to me...Nice find in a coin jar...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Capped CC F Details Cleaned.

• Options

Yeah I was thinking it was a VF-25 but looking at it enlarged, I can see some cleaning marks. Still its kind of interesting. This coin was one of my father's coin collection. Probably not worth getting it graded. What do you think. Genuine? I have some GSA Carson City coins stashed away in the Blue Boxes purchased by him back in the Nixon era too. They probably cleaned them with gasoline or something back when he found it. It wasn't purchased so it might have been kicking around for a long time in circulation? My dad was a Forest Service lookout in Idaho in the 1930's and he mentioned that back in the daythey had slot machines somewhere (maybe Deadwood South Dakota) that took real silver dollars.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file