Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Another oddball error for my collection - an MS-65 RD quarter!

ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always found the off-metal errors fascinating. Here's one that I think looks really cool, a 1970-D quarter struck on a cent, The strange looking date adds to the character.

Comments

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dig it, too.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, that is very cool and I would imagine pretty scarce, too.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a neat error coin. I really like it. Thanks for sharing.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Rare as hen's teeth" as the saying goes. You could have the only one for that year.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice.

Quiz time! Assuming the post-strike lives of two errors were exactly the same, which would be redder, a 1970 quarter struck on a cent planchet, or a 1970 quarter struck on a clad planchet from which both cladding layers had fallen off prior to the strike?

Why?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very, Very Nice!!!

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good question. I'm gonna go with the cent planchet as the copper content is higher. My swag for the day. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Real nice major error!!

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would expect the clad core to show more "red" under normal conditions. The cent is 95% copper while the clad core is 100% copper

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway ... That sounds like a trick question... there were no clad cents...they were copper plated, so there were no 'layers' to 'fall off'. So, if the copper plating was 'removed', then the zinc would remain and not be red. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice. Very nice

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really neat!

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Oldhoopster said:
    I would expect the clad core to show more "red" under normal conditions. The cent is 95% copper while the clad core is 100% copper

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 14, 2021 11:00AM

@ricko said:
    @CaptHenway ... That sounds like a trick question... there were no clad cents...they were copper plated, so there were no 'layers' to 'fall off'. So, if the copper plating was 'removed', then the zinc would remain and not be red. Cheers, RickO

Zincolns started in 82. That is a 1970. Edit, nice coin.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have thought that the Quarter on Cent would have more Red.

The cent planchet would have had it's luster 'locked' onto the surface
    when struck (like a new copper cent), while the inside of a split-off
    clad coin, while copper, was not prepped to be struck on that copper surface.

I've seen plenty of clad-layer missing errors, and while some are nice bright
    red, many BU's are just a nice 'reddish' color, without the luster of a Quarter on
    a cent planchet.

Just my thoughts.......

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file