Home Metal Detecting
Options

New to Metal Detecting, First FIND! What is it?

I'm new to Detecting and to this forum. I wanted to share the first thing I found just the other day in the woods off a dirt trail.
I hit on something at 4" inches and dug this ring up. I have no clue what it is, but it looks old just by the styling of the ring.

It's VERY heavy, around 1oz in weight and about a size 8. There was a small number 8 on the inside and some faint markings 4ct, and .75 and then the number 8. It didn't photograph very well. After cleaning the dirt off there are areas on the ring that are super shiny silver.
The center "Sapphire" appears to be FAKE. I'm no gemologist, but it doesn't look real compared to other star Sapphires I've seen.
No clue on the diamonds on the sides. But they sparkled like crazy right out of the ground even covered in dirty.

If I had to guess, it's a costume ring from the late 19th century or early 20th century or was some one off hand made by someone. But just a guess.

Any thoughts on this one? I'm puzzled. Any ideas welcome.

I need a better metal detector as using a cheap $120 dollar detector is frustrating with false hits, and no accuracy beyond 4" inches, but can't afford anything else for now. But it's still been fun.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CastleFox.... Welcome aboard....Interesting find. Yes, the stone certainly is not a real star sapphire, the 'star' seems to be fixed. You are likely correct about it being cheap jewelry. Good luck in future hunts. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

costume jewlery? your off to a decent start id say

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome, white or base metal ring, yeah it's junk but hang in there cause the better stuff is in the ground. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

How cool to find something like this buried in the woods, full of mystery?
    While it may be "cheap jewelry " it is also "cheap fun!" That is what makes the hobby interesting. Good luck

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have a display that tells me what it is either. I just did them all.
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG ... Nice gold/quartz piece Bob.... I have not found a nugget with entrapped quartz.... Seen them at shops and show, but very elusive in the wild. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @AUandAG ... Nice gold/quartz piece Bob.... I have not found a nugget with entrapped quartz.... Seen them at shops and show, but very elusive in the wild. Cheers, RickO

I find the smaller the nugget the less likely to have quartz. The larger they are the more likely they do.
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com