Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

100 Greatest U.S. Coins for the Average Collector

MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 16, 2021 3:56PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Note - I will be editing the list at the bottom of this post as I get input.

I just looked at the set composition for the 100 Greatest US Coins PCGS Registry Set. Only 24 of the coins have a weight of 5 or less. To me, that means that 76 of the coins are generally unobtainable. So this set, and the books it's based on, is nice to fantasize about, but not realistic or relatable to the average collector.

Side note - here's how weights and their use are described by PCGS: Within a set, not all coins have the same value and rarity. Sets in the PCGS Set Registry are weighted on a 1 to 10 scale with 10 being the rarest coin and 1 being the most common. While it may be in true in some instances that a coin may be many times over 10 as rare as the most common coin in the set, the Registry keeps the scale simple so that all levels of collectors can compete. The Registry weighting is done by taking three things into account:
The overall rarity of the coin, i.e. the rarity in all grades
The rarity in the highest 2 or 3 grades
The price (because this is an indication of demand and importance to collectors)

While maybe not as fun to fantasize about, I think there should be a list of the 100 Greatest U.S. Coins for the Average Collector.

Let's start with those 24 coins mentioned above:
1909-S VDB Lincoln Cent
1916 Standing Quarter Dollar
1916-D Mercury Dime
1895 Morgan Dollar Proof
1796 Quarter Dollar
1857-S Double Eagle From the Wreck of the SS "Central America"
1856 Flying Eagle Cent
1915-S Pan Pacific Fifty (Octagonal or Round)
1787 Fugio Cent
1866 "No Motto" Quarter Dollar Proof
1842 "Small Date" Quarter Dollar
1851-O Silver Dollar Proof
1796 "No Stars" Quarter Eagle
1797 Half Dollar
1836, 1838 or 1839 Gobrecht Dollar Proof
1864 "Small Motto" Two Cent Proof
1867 "With Rays" Shield Nickel Proof
1851 Silver Dollar
1852 Silver Dollar
1863 Quarter Eagle Proof
1875 Half Eagle
1798/7 Ten Dollar (9x4 Stars or 7x6 Stars)
1808 Quarter Eagle
1861-S "Paquet Reverse" Double Eagle

There are many on that list that I would NOT include because they are prohibitively expensive for the average collector. In fact, from that list of 24, I would only include:
1909-S VDB Lincoln Cent
1916-D Mercury Dime
1787 Fugio Cent

Are there other specific coins that you would include in a list of the 100 Greatest U.S. Coins for the Average Collector?

Are there 100 specific coins that deserve to be on such a list?

Would it end up just being a type set?

For specific coins, why would you include them?

So here's our list (sorted by date):
1787 Fugio Cent
1793 Chain Cent
1794 Liberty Cap Cent
1795 3 Leaves Flowing Hair Dollar
1799 Draped Bust Cent
1801 Draped Bust Heraldic Eagle Half Dollar
1805/4 Draped Bust Half Dollar
1809 Classic Head Half Cent
1815 Capped Bust Quarter
1816 Matron Head Cent
Bechtler Dollar
1838-D $5
1849 Open Wreath Liberty Gold Dollar
1854-S $10
1854 Type II Gold Dollar
1854 $3 gold
1857 Flying Eagle Cent
1857-S $20 Liberty Gold SS Central America Shipwreck
1861-S $20 Paquet Liberty Head $20
1864 L On Ribbon Indian Cent
Three Cent Silver
1872 Two Cent Piece
1875-S Liberty Seated Twenty Cent
1883 Hawaii Dollar
1884 Three Cent Nickel
1892 Columbian Half Dollar
1893 Isabella Quarter
1893-S Morgan Dollar
1896-S Barber Quarter
1900 Lafayette Dollar
1903 Jefferson or McKinley Dollar
1907 No Motto Indian Head $10 Gold
1908 With Motto Saint Gaudens $20
1909-S VDB Lincoln Cent
1913 Buffalo Nickel Type I
1913-S Barber Quarter
1915-S Pan-Pac Dollar
1915-S Pan Pac $2-1/2
1916 Walking Liberty Half Dollar
1916-D Mercury Dime
1917 Standing Liberty Quarter Type 1
1917 Walking Liberty Half Dollar
1921 Morgan Dollar
1921 Peace Dollar
1932 Washington Quarter
1937-D "Three-Legged" Buffalo Nickel
1938 Jefferson Nickel
1943 Steel Lincoln Cent
1946 Roosevelt Dime
1948 Franklin Half Dollar
1950-D Jefferson Nickel
1955 Doubled Die Lincoln Cent
1955 "Bugs Bunny" FS-401 Franklin Half Dollar
1958 Memorial Lincoln Cent
1964 Accented Hair Variety Kennedy Half Dollar
1970-D Kennedy Half Dollar
1971 Eisenhower Dollar
1972 Double Die Obverse Lincoln Cent
1976 Kennedy Half Dollar
1976 Washington Quarter
1976 Eisenhower Dollar
1982 Washington Half Dollar
1983 Double Die Reverse Lincoln Cent
1986 Silver Eagle
1986 $5 Gold Eagle
1995-W ASE
1996-W Roosevelt Dime
1997 $10 Platinum Eagle
2000 Bimetallic Library of Congress Eagle
2006 Reverse Proof Silver Eagle Dollar
2006-W Gold Proof Buffalo Fifty Dollar
2009 UHR St. Gaudens Double Eagle
Oregon Trail Memorial Half Dollar
Texas Centennial Half Dollar

Comments

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

It might end up as a bit of a type collection, yes, but certain issues really rise to the top. A 1921 Peace dollar should be included. It's a single-year type and also the last US design that actually circulated that features an allegorical Liberty. An 1857 small eagle cent is an important transitional piece. The 55-DDO cent should be there, and I suppose we must include the 3-legged buffalo. I'd also include an arrows and rays quarter (or half). For the average collector, they'll almost certainly need a 59-O or 60-O Seated dollar and 1795 Flowing Hair dollar. Probably best to include an Oregon Trail commem too. :)

• Options

I've added a list to the OP and I will be updating it with your input.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,604 ✭✭✭✭✭

1907 no motto eagle. Classic design, first year of issue, to me the eagle is to gold as the fugio is to copper.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    JRGeyerJRGeyer Posts: 132 ✭✭✭

Probably have to put the 1893-S Morgan on that list, a key coin in probably the most popular US coin set to collect.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think I could come up with a list of 100 with enough distinction that remains affordable to more than a very low proportion of the collector base.

The above starting list is still heading in the direction where the buyer would have to be a multi-millionaire to be able to afford it with a "reasonable" percentage of their net worth too.

I wouldn't have all type coins, just the ones in more aspirational ones below a TBD price point. Add in the most widely collected actual 20th century key dates (like the 09S VDB cent). Toss in the more preferred classic commemoratives and colonials. Maybe a few of the less expensive patterns, like J-208 or J-228.

This still doesn't add up to 100 coins, probably slightly more than 50.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

maybe there should be one for beginning collectors - 100 coins from last 100 years all obtainable for under $50

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a start but somewhat pricey for the "average" collector. It is a good list though, in my opinion. Thanks, MidLife.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

accented hair kennedy?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@JRGeyer said:
    Probably have to put the 1893-S Morgan on that list, a key coin in probably the most popular US coin set to collect.

The coin belongs on the list, but it's also one which is far too expensive except in rock bottom grades. I believe it's near $10K in XF.

That's what will happen with a noticeable proportion on the list. I can see buying Flowing Hair or Draped bust type in fine or VF, but not a coin like this one or the 1916-D dime which is still around $1,000 in VG. I don't see any collector spending tens of thousands for a collection composed of coins like that.

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am going to focus on the gold coins only and assume that the hypothetical average collector cannot spend more than $3000 per coin (CoinFacts value):

Bechtler dollar
    1854 Type II Gold Dollar
    1854 $3 gold
    1838-D $5 (F-12)
    1854-S $10
    1907 $10 (@Catbert above)
    1908 Saint (WM)

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WCC said:

@JRGeyer said:

The coin belongs on the list, but it's also one which is far too expensive except in rock bottom grades. I believe it's near $10K in XF.

That's what will happen with a noticeable proportion on the list. I can see buying Flowing Hair or Draped bust type in fine or VF, but not a coin like this one or the 1916-D dime which is still around $1,000 in VG. I don't see any collector spending tens of thousands for a collection composed of coins like that.

At these grades, I wouldn’t really consider the coins “great” any more, but that’s just me.

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's your next project - 100 Average U.S. Coins for the Greatest Collector - sift through the Hamsen collection and pull out the 100 or so most mundane and mediocre. :D

• Options
    edited April 12, 2021 7:38PM

@RYK said:
    Here's your next project - 100 Average U.S. Coins for the Greatest Collector - sift through the Hamsen collection and pull out the 100 or so most mundane and mediocre. :D

Will they all be dated later than 2010 ;)

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    $3,000 per coin for a top 100 collection is $300,000.

I’d love to know where these average coin collectors live!

No place I've ever lived, that's for sure. I'd bet a significant number of collectors don't have even one coin worth $3,000 in their collection.

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:
    No place I've ever lived, that's for sure. I'd bet a significant number of collectors don't have even one coin worth $3,000 in their collection.

I have a 6 figure collection but not quite any at that price. Close but not quite. I kinda got into the quantity not quality type of collection.
    100 Greatest coins for the average collector ? How about 100 coins at $ 100 average per coin. That's 10K. Or double it to 20K @ $ 200 per coin. IMO that's probably a fairly decent worth of an average collection.

• Options
    CoinPhysicistCoinPhysicist Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭

1913-S Barber Quarter and the 1896-S.

Successful transactions with: wondercoin, Tetromibi, PerryHall, PlatinumDuck, JohnMaben/Pegasus Coin & Jewelry, CoinFlip, and coinlieutenant.

• Options

The description for the 100 Greatest US Coins PCGS Registry Set includes the following:
    "Completion of this set is impossible because several of the coins are unique and can only be found in the National Numismatic Collection at the Smithsonian Institution or in other private or institutional collections. Ownership of even one or two of these coins is impressive and should be recognized. Registering just ten of the top 100 coins would place the owner in the top echelons of coin collecting."

The PCGS description even goes on to acknowledge that the 100 Greatest US Coins is a fantasy collection.

I don't think a goal for a list like the one we're creating in this thread should be completion. But I do think that if we're going to have these "100 Greatest" books and registry sets, we should have a comparable list of coins that are each - individually - obtainable by the average collector...not fantasy, but reality.

I think the purpose of a list like the one we're creating in this thread is to identify coins that are widely considered worthy of recognition due to their popularity, relative rarity, historical significance or for some other reason. Such a list would provide collectors a reference to pursue a reasonable goal, regardless of their budget.

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    It might end up as a bit of a type collection, yes, but certain issues really rise to the top. A 1921 Peace dollar should be included. It's a single-year type and also the last US design that actually circulated that features an allegorical Liberty. An 1857 small eagle cent is an important transitional piece. The 55-DDO cent should be there, and I suppose we must include the 3-legged buffalo. I'd also include an arrows and rays quarter (or half). For the average collector, they'll almost certainly need a 59-O or 60-O Seated dollar and 1795 Flowing Hair dollar. Probably best to include an Oregon Trail commem too. :)

Excellent. I would add that if the collection is to include Double Eagles, then one of the several varieties of the 1861 Paquet Reverse (Identified by Q. David Bowers as a Sub Type in the applicable Red Book) would merit inclusion as it is the only recognized Sub Type in the Double Eagle series extending all the way from 1850 to 1933. Those from the Philadelphia Mint are all but unobtainable, but 1861-S specimens can be located - although none are known to exist in mint state.

Pictured in the initial post in the below linked thread is my 1861-S Paquet Reverse along with some the interesting story of how it came to be (including the role of the Pony Express) and how it was subsequenty "discovered" decades later (as a "Barn Find") after a limited number escaped from the San Francisco Mint before production was halted.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/975923/the-exciting-1861-paquet-reverse-twenty-dollar-liberties-again-in-the-news/p1

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting concept.... However, it seems that even many of these coins may be out of reach for the 'average' collector. Lists are good though, it gives perspective to collectors... and also goals for some. Just do not forget to have fun (and pay the rent and other bills first). Cheers, RickO

• Options
    matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Considering the relative price variance, a list would be tough without a lot of qualifiers. Perhaps it would be most helpful to derive the list based on total cost in today's dollars as a reference point. Top coins for $5000 or less total purchase cost for example.

1857 Flying Eagle
    1908 Saint
    1909 S VDB
    1913 3 - legged Buffalo
    Oregon Commem
    1955 DDO1
    1964 Kennedy

Without doing any real price checks at the moment, I think the above could be had for under $5k with lower grades and represent a nice collection.

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 13, 2021 8:52AM

I will add a 1950-D nickel.

• Options
    edited April 13, 2021 1:02PM

@Zoins said:

@WCC said:

@JRGeyer said:

At these grades, I wouldn’t really consider the coins “great” any more, but that’s just me.

I agree 100% and that's part of my point.

Many of the coins are too common, not visually appealing in "affordable" grades, and too expensive at the same time where any actual collector will want such a collection. Plenty of collectors will buy low quality key dates to complete their set. I doubt a single collector would ever spend $10K for the 1916 SLQ, 01-S quarter, 16-D dime and 93-S Morgan in G-4 or VG-8.

• Options

@MasonG said:

@Zoins said:
    $3,000 per coin for a top 100 collection is $300,000.

I’d love to know where these average coin collectors live!

One dealer contributor here previously claimed that 80% don't buy coins valued over $300. Depending upon someone's definition of "collector", I think it could be accurate and I have used this assumption also. I have paid over $3,000 once and owned one other coin worth about $7,000 once but that's all.

• Options

@WCC said:
    One dealer contributor here previously claimed that 80% don't buy coins valued over $300.

I wouldn't bet against that.

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 13, 2021 2:28PM

Replace the 1955 ddo and 1909s vdb with

1972 ddo Lincoln Cent
    1983 ddr Lincoln Cent

Probably closer to reality if we are talking slabbed and MS and average collector budget.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    edited April 13, 2021 2:25PM

On a side note...

Been toying with the idea of a 7070 style collection, but more customized to my interests.

Some series just don't interest me.

It would be alot more useful guide for newbs or shallow pocketed investors like myself. With one eye towards investment (or value) and one eye towards quality, grade, etc...

A max $100
    A max $500
    A max $2500

70 to 100 coin collection.

I would even include clipped planchet, broadstruck, maybe annealing or missing clad errors.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    edited April 13, 2021 4:42PM

Right now on Collector's Corner there are over fifty 1909-S VDB Lincoln Cents for sale or being auctioned. They start at $890.00. There are twenty-two 1916-D Mercury Dimes. They start at $495.00. There are twenty-six Fugios. They start at $550.00.

That means the average collector can get one of these coins. He or she might have to save up and be willing to spend more than $300, but the coins are available. The average collector could even save up more and buy a higher grade coin.

They are widely considered important coins - great coins - and yet they are available to the average collector.

I've tried to explain what I was trying to do in previous posts. Some of you don't get the point...or you don't want to get the point. You want to pick apart the idea and fixate on a dollar amount. Well, $300 x $100 = $30,000. I'm pretty sure that's more than the "average" collector wants to have invested in his/her collection.

I do appreciate those who contributed positively to this thread. Thank you.

However...Focusing on the dollar amount defeats the purpose of what I was trying to do. So I'm done. Never mind.

• Options

@MidLifeCrisis said:
    However...Focusing on the dollar amount defeats the purpose of what I was trying to do. So I'm done. Never mind.

You can skip over the posts that are focused on that if you want to.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

I get your point, Midlife. Nice try. Sometimes you just can't win. Oh, well. I like your list.

• Options

@MasonG said:

@MidLifeCrisis said:

I tried. I really did. But this thread took a little work to create and was going to take a little more work as it progressed. I was willing to do that work...but after a few of those posts, I decided to just move on. Life's too short to get irritated over a hobby.

• Options
    edited April 14, 2021 4:43AM

I like the idea.

Sorry my contributions derailed the thread.

We got too many newbs or trolls or avg collectors with no direction. A shame.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MidLifeCrisis said:

@MasonG said:

@MidLifeCrisis said:

I tried. I really did. But this thread took a little work to create and was going to take a little more work as it progressed. I was willing to do that work...but after a few of those posts, I decided to just move on. Life's too short to get irritated over a hobby.

I really think you should resurrect this thread. It is an interesting discussion and would be an interesting list. I'm not sure what specifically derailed the thread for you, but I do think consideration of grade range and price ranges should be established to make it achievable for the average collector. I would really like to see what would end up on the list.

Please don't surrender the effort yet. I was following along, though not contributing

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yspsales said:
    I like the idea.

Sorry my contributions derailed the thread.

We got too many newbs or trolls or avg collectors with no direction. A shame.

Posters of the type you described have been nearly completely absent from this thread.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don’t give up on it. Since there is no moderation here, any and all threads you start will have ~80% of posts off topic or just not getting it. You just have to act like they are not there.

I like this idea. To me, this is not about “an average collector should be able to have all 100!”. To complete a 100 coin set of any type means you are no longer average.

Instead, I take it to mean “An average collector should be able to hunt down ANY 1 or more of these coins if desired”. They should all be “available”, and in decent grades be available for a reasonable amount. Which all the named coins have been unless I’m mistaken.

I’d add
    1943 steel cent
    1815 quarter
    1916 WLH

• Options

@WCC said:
    I don't think I could come up with a list of 100 with enough distinction that remains affordable to more than a very low proportion of the collector base.

The above starting list is still heading in the direction where the buyer would have to be a multi-millionaire to be able to afford it with a "reasonable" percentage of their net worth too.

I wouldn't have all type coins, just the ones in more aspirational ones below a TBD price point. Add in the most widely collected actual 20th century key dates (like the 09S VDB cent). Toss in the more preferred classic commemoratives and colonials. Maybe a few of the less expensive patterns, like J-208 or J-228.

This still doesn't add up to 100 coins, probably slightly more than 50.

Maybe it makes more sense to have this as a box of 20???

I think I would use a criteria that it must be available around $1000 in VF to be accessible to the average collector. This leaves out things like 1856 Flying Eagle and 1893-S Morgan, but does include things like 55 DD and 37 3-legged.

• Options

@MidLifeCrisis said:
    Right now on Collector's Corner there are over fifty 1909-S VDB Lincoln Cents for sale or being auctioned. They start at $890.00. There are twenty-two 1916-D Mercury Dimes. They start at $495.00. There are twenty-six Fugios. They start at $550.00.

That means the average collector can get one of these coins. He or she might have to save up and be willing to spend more than $300, but the coins are available. The average collector could even save up more and buy a higher grade coin.

They are widely considered important coins - great coins - and yet they are available to the average collector.

I've tried to explain what I was trying to do in previous posts. Some of you don't get the point...or you don't want to get the point. You want to pick apart the idea and fixate on a dollar amount. Well, $300 x $100 = $30,000. I'm pretty sure that's more than the "average" collector wants to have invested in his/her collection.

I do appreciate those who contributed positively to this thread. Thank you.

I know you hate the focus on $ value. But, with respect, I think it is relevant to making the list. I mean, Pan Pac octagonals are important coins and they are available, but they just aren't ever going to be affordable to 99% of "average" collectors. You acknowledged this yourself when you kept it off your original list.

I think the point you make with the SVDB, 16-D and Fugios is actually an excellent point and really reinforces the idea of having price/availability as part of the criteria.

To me, if I were to undertake a quest for 100, there would need to be 50 or 60 easily gettable coins and no more than maybe 10 "stretch" coins. Collectors are inherently box checkers. I need to feel that I can check most of the boxes.

I think this is an interesting discussion and, again with respect, I don't think the people discussing price are out of line. A 1916 Standing Liberty quarter is an important coin for several reasons but it is simply not affordable enough to be on a list for "average" collectors. I would say the same for 1856 Flying eagle cents.

• Options

I think I would add the following to the list:

1892 Columbian $1/2
    1893 Isabella $1/4
    1900 Lafayette $

Those 3 coins really begin and define the idea of silver commems and encompass 3 different denominations.

For similar reasons, I would also add:

1903 $1 Jefferson or McKinley
    1915-S $1 Pan-Pac
    1915-S $2-1/2 Pan Pac

I think I would include the following moderns:

1986 Silver eagle
    1986 $5 gold eagle
    1997 $10 platinum eagle

All 9 of these coins are important and all are available for under $1000, in many cases much less than $1000.

• Options
    edited April 14, 2021 6:49AM

I thought it was implied, or mistook, that you were inviting opinions on a framework.

Are you building an alternative 7070?
    A portfolio of key and semi key dates?

IMHO... The iconic 1955 DDO should be one of the first (certified) coin purchases ANY collector makes. None are cheap in any grade.

However, there is no way to escape $$$ aspect so I offered an slightly less iconic replacement in the 1972 DDO and/or a selection from one of the 1980's group like the 1983 DDR.

Any of those three coins would be a great start for a new collector or an average collector looking to step up their game.

Somebody mentioned AH Kennedy. Great coin and easy certified pickup for $100... then step it up to CAM at $300 and further to DCAM at $3000

• Options

Thanks everyone. I did get irritated...but in hindsight, and after reading the additional posts to this thread, I think I overreacted. Guess I was having a bad night. This thread will continue as long as I get input.

• Options

I've been thinking about moderns. I feel like those should be represented in an "average" collectors 100. On the bright side, our largely unimaginative circulating coinage might make this easy:

1971 Ike $
    1964 Kennedy $1/2
    1948 Franklin $1/2
    1946 Roosevelt Dime
    1938 Jefferson Nickel
    1958 Memorial Cent

I also feel like the bicentennial issues should be included. A 2-year type, they have been heavily collected by both "average" collectors and non-collectors.

1976 Kennedy $1/2
    1976 Washington $1/4
    1976 Ike $

I feel like these 9 coins [I don't know why I'm thinking in 9s today] represent the modern era well. You've got 6 1st year of issue coins and the iconic bicentennials. I also feel like they would fall into the easy to acquire half of the list of 100 which will help Average Collectors (AC from now on) get the ball rolling and make progress on the sets.

• Options

For pre-modern coinage, I would also focus on 1st year of Type with a couple specials:

1916-D Mercury Dime
    1909-S VDB Lincoln

These 2 coins are not only 1st year type but kind of a dream coin for a lot of middle-aged collectors who kept hoping to find one in circulation. They may be a bit of a stretch for an AC, but they are iconic.

1917 SLQ Type 1
    1932 Washington $1/4
    1916 Walker
    1913 Buffalo Nickel Type I

As someone already mentioned, I think:

1921 Peace $
    I think I would also add
    1921 Morgan $ - plentiful and essentially a 1 year type.

And I would add

1955 DDO Lincoln

That's an obvious choice and can be one of my "stretch" coins for an AC

Hey, that's another 9!!! [I'm going to play 999 in the lottery]

• Options
    JRGeyerJRGeyer Posts: 132 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    I've been thinking about moderns. I feel like those should be represented in an "average" collectors 100.

I was thinking that as well, two that always come to mind for me are the 1996-W Roosevelt and 1970-D Kennedy, which are obviously not difficult to obtain, but are key dates for those collections. Both of those coins captivated me as a young collector. Also the 1950-D Jefferson and 1995-W ASE, coins that grabbed the interest of the coin collecting world.

• Options

I like the 1995-W ASE.

I also like:

• Options
    edited April 14, 2021 9:01AM

@yspsales said:
    The iconic 1955 DDO should be one of the first (certified) coin purchases ANY collector makes. None are cheap in any grade.

The trick is to get a nice / great one, which isn't always easy on the wallet. I'm okay to pass on the lower grades.

• Options

@JRGeyer said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    I've been thinking about moderns. I feel like those should be represented in an "average" collectors 100.

I was thinking that as well, two that always come to mind for me are the 1996-W Roosevelt and 1970-D Kennedy, which are obviously not difficult to obtain, but are key dates for those collections. Both of those coins captivated me as a young collector. Also the 1950-D Jefferson and 1995-W ASE, coins that grabbed the interest of the coin collecting world.

Yes, you could use those instead of the 1st year coins to represent the series. I'm not sure my greatest 100 needs two Roosevelt dimes and three (bicentennial) Kennedy halves.

At some point, it would be fun to have the list of 150 or so nominees and try to pare down the list. That's when you really have to determine the relative merit. I mean it's easy to say "Put X" on the list. It's harder to say "Put X on the list and remove Y".

• Options

@Zoins said:
    I like the 1995-W ASE.

I also like:

I think this gets down to price point. The 1995-W and the $50 Buff may be beyond the range of the "average collector".

It's so hard to make lists like this. Fun. But it's hard.

• Options
    edited April 14, 2021 9:22AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@Zoins said:
    I like the 1995-W ASE.

I also like:

I think this gets down to price point. The 1995-W and the $50 Buff may be beyond the range of the "average collector".

It's so hard to make lists like this. Fun. But it's hard.

I think it may be beyond the range of the average collector with average thinking, but one is perhaps not beyond the average collector with focused thinking. A 100 Greatest list needs to have some aspirational goal tied into it to make it worth thinking about and valuing.

I'd also add:

2009 UHR St. Gaudens Double Eagle

These are coins that I think many collectors would value and aspire to own.

There are already coins in this price range and much higher being mentioned like the 1955 DDO Cent.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file