Home U.S. Coin Forum

Prevention of Cruelty to Animals

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 12, 2021 3:50AM in U.S. Coin Forum

This is what cruelty to animals looked like!

Medal from South Carolina Society Prevention Cruelty to Animals

Photos from johnsrelics.

Tagged:

Comments

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice medal. Thank you for sharing!

It does appear as though what we think of as cruelty to animals has changed, both in what we immediately conjure up and how we would artistically convey it . I understand what you , and the medal, I believe are saying.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The message of the medal disturbs me... I have had animals all my life - dogs, cats, horses, snakes, horned toads - when with us, in our care, we must ensure their well being and comfort. If we cannot do that, we should not venture into such a relationship. Cheers, RickO

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

my first thought is "Don't beat a dead horse" but this one looks to still be alive.

• yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 12, 2021 5:03AM

I have seen that medal.

Wish I knew more about the origins.

Did not know or think of this movement from the early 1900's.

Being from South Carolina, the time period, makes it fascinating.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    This is what cruelty to animals looked like!

Medal from South Carolina Society Prevention Cruelty to Animals

medal circa?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

U. S. Grant was very opposed to cruelty to animals.

I have read that foundation of the famous San Diego Zoo dates from the end of the 1915 exhibition in that city when many of the animal exhibitors just packed up, took their money and abandoned their animals at the fair site.

All glory is fleeting.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tokenpro said:

The Humane Society worked hard to stop child abuse and later expanded their efforts to include animals.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    The message of the medal disturbs me... I have had animals all my life - dogs, cats, horses, snakes, horned toads - when with us, in our care, we must ensure their well being and comfort. If we cannot do that, we should not venture into such a relationship. Cheers, RickO

An interesting thing is that today, many animals are around for our enjoyment and companionship while in those days horses were burdened with jobs. They essentially provided the functionality of cars and SUVs today.

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Humane is such a misnomer. Some humans are anything but humane.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file