Home Sports Talk
Options

World series game 7 - who do you want on the mound?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's the World Series, it's game 7, any pitcher in history, who do you want on the mound?

Comments

• Options

With football season over, you're forcing me to start baseball threads!

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2021 4:59PM

I would sleep well with any of the following:

Gibson
    Lolich
    Morris
    Schilling

I'm just naming guys I've seen even if as a tyke

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

give me bob gibson.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

Great choices, I guess I'll take Curt Schilling, he was always so intense in the postseason. I still remember the bloody sock game, a legendary performance.

• Options
    Jack131Jack131 Posts: 66 ✭✭

The 2000 version of Pedro Martinez.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

Koufax.

Case closed. But everyone is more than welcome to debate the second choice.

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

John Smoltz

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2021 7:08PM

@stevek said:
    Koufax.

I agree. He was the best. People forget or they never saw him pitch. Watch the 7th game of the 1965 World Series on YouTube. There's you answer right there. It looks effortless.

• Options
    paulb71paulb71 Posts: 288 ✭✭✭✭

Randy Johnson the 1995 version wild, fast, and bad ass !!!!!

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

Babe Ruth, which is why choosing him as the GOAT is so easy. Ruth was 3-0 in the WS, all three wins were by one run, including a 2-1 14-inning complete game, and a 1-0 shutout. Neither series went to 7 games, but if they had I know who the Red Sox would have put on the mound.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

Schilling

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:

@stevek said:
    Koufax.

I agree. He was the best. People forget or they never saw him pitch. Watch the 7th game of the 1965 World Series on YouTube. There's you answer right there. It looks effortless.

Thanks for the recommendation. I didn't watch it all, but watched the beginning and I watched the end. Great pitching indeed.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:

@stevek said:
    Koufax.

He did that against a GREAT hitting team, and if I remember correctly, his curveball wasn't working that day and he threw almost all fastballs.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 11, 2021 8:08AM

@JoeBanzai said:

@Hydrant said:

@stevek said:
    Koufax.

He did that against a GREAT hitting team, and if I remember correctly, his curveball wasn't working that day and he threw almost all fastballs.

Sandy batted leadoff top of 9th and the Minnesota fans gave him a round of applause for his performance.
    Bottom 9th he SO the last batter (10 total), the Dodgers congratulated Koufax, and they took the celebration into the locker room.
    Was a different world back then.

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

2010-2014 version of Madison Bumgarner!

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jim Palmer or Greg Maddux in their prime.

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Koufax

• Options

This thread has been brought to you by: Frosty Paws, treat your dog to a frozen delight today!

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@Hydrant said:

@stevek said:
    Koufax.

I'm quoting Mickey Mantle on this, close to verbatim as i remember it, from the Koufax book.

After Mantle had just been thrown one of Sandy's simply unhittable curveballs, Mantle turned to the Dodgers catcher, John Roseboro and said in utter frustration, "How the F* is anybody supposed to hit that S*.

I doubt if too many pitchers ever got that sort of verbal response from the great Mickey Mantle of basic surrender.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Greg Maddox

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@Hydrant said:

@stevek said:
    Koufax.

Half the starting lineup he faced in that game hit .251 or less that year. They were not a GREAT hitting team.

• Options

1965 Twins SLG/OPS+
    Harmon Killebrew .501/145
    Tony Oliva .491/141
    Don Mincher .509/135
    Earl Battey .409/119
    Bob Allison .445/118
    Zoilo Versalles .462/115

Batting average?

This was a GREAT hitting team! Killebrew HOF, Oliva 1965 (in addition to 2 other years) batting champion, Bob Allison and Don Mincher both with lifetime 127 OPS+, Zoilo 1965 AL MVP, Battey hit .297 that year.

For some reason Jimmy Hall didn't play much in the series and he was .464/124 in SLG/OPS+ in 1965.

I find it hard to believe you posted they were not a great hitting team.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

@LandrysFedora said:
    John Smoltz

No thank you - lost a game 7 in 1991 vs Jack Morris

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭✭

Roger Clemens or Pedro Martinez

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:

I chose Gibson because of his postseason stats. but these are probably my two favorite pitchers and are both great choices for game 7. living in NE, I saw an awful lot of both of them. Both were super intense. Especially Clemens.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@tommyrusty7 said:

I chose Gibson because of his postseason stats. but these are probably my two favorite pitchers and are both great choices for game 7. living in NE, I saw an awful lot of both of them. Both were super intense. Especially Clemens.

My two favorites as well.

• Options

@VikingDude said:

@LandrysFedora said:
    John Smoltz

I will take him any day. Losing a 1-0 game in 10 innings is nothing to be shamed about. Tip of the hat to Jack there, Smoltz 15-4 Postseason record with a 2.67 era is not shabby. He was the most consistent starter in the postseason for the Braves big 3 in the 90's.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:
    1965 Twins SLG/OPS+
    Harmon Killebrew .501/145
    Tony Oliva .491/141
    Don Mincher .509/135
    Earl Battey .409/119
    Bob Allison .445/118
    Zoilo Versalles .462/115

Batting average?

This was a GREAT hitting team! Killebrew HOF, Oliva 1965 (in addition to 2 other years) batting champion, Bob Allison and Don Mincher both with lifetime 127 OPS+, Zoilo 1965 AL MVP, Battey hit .297 that year.

For some reason Jimmy Hall didn't play much in the series and he was .464/124 in SLG/OPS+ in 1965.

I find it hard to believe you posted they were not a great hitting team.

OK:

• .409, 445, and .462 slugging are not great.
    • then again, neither are .491, .501, or .509

You capitalized "GREAT", implying they were really great. That year, they finished 4th in the AL in homers and 2nd in OPS. "GREAT" teams lead their leagues. As a team, they had an OPS+ of 100, good for 2nd in the AL. Again, "GREAT" teams lead their leagues.

So, yeah, teams with half their lineup hitting .251 or worse with mid-range home run power aren't exactly scaring top-flight pitchers.

They weren't great and they sure weren't "GREAT".

• Options

I didn't say they were the '27 Yankees, they were a GREAT hitting team.

Let's just agree to disagree and move on.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends who the home plate umpire is. Many have their favorites and different strike zones. Glavine was always given a wider zone.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 12, 2021 6:41PM

Give me the starter who has the lowest career regular ERA (2.75) of any retired pitcher in the modern era and plenty - and, boy, do I mean plenty - of post season experience, too, including game 7’s. Plural.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Depends who the home plate umpire is. Many have their favorites and different strike zones. Glavine was always given a wider zone.

Not EVERY time!

https://youtu.be/w-OoFfCEhvk

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

Not EVERY time!

https://youtu.be/w-OoFfCEhvk

I agree with you, hence my point. We all know the zones are of not one universal dimension. Which is why I'd like to know the ump. before I made a choice.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    ringerringer Posts: 342 ✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

The 95 WS was a travesty.

• Options
    ringerringer Posts: 342 ✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

• Options

@LandrysFedora said:

@VikingDude said:

@LandrysFedora said:
    John Smoltz

I will take him any day. Losing a 1-0 game in 10 innings is nothing to be shamed about. Tip of the hat to Jack there, Smoltz 15-4 Postseason record with a 2.67 era is not shabby. He was the most consistent starter in the postseason for the Braves big 3 in the 90's.

John Smoltz had an above average ability to stay calm, focused, and execute his pitches in the postseason. If you ever hear him announce a game, he has that same cool demeanor on the mound if bases were loaded in the bottom of the 9th with no outs and the score tied.

Smoltz and Schilling are about as cool of a customer you want in a pressure situation, or a big game. I thought Smoltz had more ability than Schilling, but both were fantastic competitors, cool headed, and students of the game.

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:

If Pedro Martinez had Curt Schilling or John Smoltz's ability to stay calm and execute his pitches, than I would take him too.
    His stats in the postseason against the yankees are terrible. He just couldn't calm himself down and execute his pitches. The Yankees were in his head. He didn't have the mental toughness to overcome them like Schilling did. So I would take Pedro too, but I would just sit him against the Yankees in the postseason.

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

I'll never forget watching Maddux pitch. I hadn't seen him as I was an AL guy, but had heard how great he was.

Saw him get a strike call on a right handed batter where the pitch was easily 2 inches low and 2 inches outside.

After seeing this repeated time after time, I realized that maybe he wasn't really that good.

• Options

^^^ thats funny! I am a New England guy, so I only got to see Mad Dog during the All Star game or during post season.

I had the same impression when I first saw him. I was always more a fan of the flame throwers.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    ^^^ thats funny! I am a New England guy, so I only got to see Mad Dog during the All Star game or during post season.

I had the same impression when I first saw him. I was always more a fan of the flame throwers.

I don't mind a "nibbler" once in a while but that was ridiculous.

If you get a chance to watch Jose Berrios pitch for the Twins, take a look. 95 MPH fastball and filthy breaking stuff. He already has had a no no this year but the Twins manager Rockhead Balldummy pulled him.

What a maroon.

• Options

you wouldn't want his pitch count up above 100 right!!!

man I hate pitch counts

• Options

i will have to check him out. sounds like my kind of pitcher

• Options

@craig44 said:
    i will have to check him out. sounds like my kind of pitcher

He can be virtually unhittable, and he's not even a big tall guy!

• Options

@ringer said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

Didn't always work in the Braves favor. 1997 NLCS game 5 vs Marlins. Eric Gregg had a strike zone the size of Texas for Livan Hernandez that game, there's a travesty.

• Options
    zippcityzippcity Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭

With 7 no hitters, 12- 1 hitters, 18- 2 hitters and 5,714 k's. I'll take Nolan Ryan.

Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

Koufax

• Options

Eddie Feigner

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:
    Eddie Feigner

The King was a truly amazing pitcher. not as well known as he should be

• Options

@craig44 said:

@JoeBanzai said:
    Eddie Feigner

The King was a truly amazing pitcher. not as well known as he should be

This is one of the things that makes this place so great. I had never heard of this man, but can now enjoy some great history as I research a bit.