Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

It's hard to take good photos of coins in slabs. But I tried anyway.

AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭

Some older stuff I had in a box. Marks you see are on the old slabs, not on the coins.

Those are deceptive. That Merc is blast white.

More to come!

My OmniCoin Collection
My BankNoteBank Collection
Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.

Comments

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pics.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭✭✭

Better than I can do.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks nice to me. The trick with coins in slabs is all in lighting and not letting the camera choose its own exposure settings. Having a lens that can focus closely but not be too close allows you to move lights around to best advantage which is key.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice pics :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done. Yes, it’s tricky.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are pretty good. The dime looks like the light was diffused or something though. I’m thinking if you play around with the light a bit the pictures will get even better.

I’ve resorted to putting several drops of volatile mineral oil on top of the slab over the coin with a medicine dropper to make any scratches and glare on the slab go away. It pretty much makes the slab invisible to the camera. It’s even more critical for me to do that though because I’m using autofocus on my iPhone and the camera ends up focusing on scratches and/or glare from the slab rather than focusing on the coin.

Mr_Spud

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 9, 2021 1:20PM

Photography thru slabs sucks, such horrible experience :s

That said, my inventory has 600 slabbed coins needing 4 shots each, ugh :|

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,716 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try taking pics at night with no other ambient light. It took me over 3 months to take pictures of over 500 Lincolns - I feel your pain and effort.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea it’s hard phone cameras never capture the true luster or colors

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AuldFartte ... Well done... coin photography is tricky at best... slabs complicate it further. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@TurtleCat said:
    It looks nice to me. The trick with coins in slabs is all in lighting and not letting the camera choose its own exposure settings. Having a lens that can focus closely but not be too close allows you to move lights around to best advantage which is key.

Thanks for the advice, @TurtleCat ! Much appreciated!

My OmniCoin Collection
  • Options

@Mr_Spud said:
    They are pretty good. The dime looks like the light was diffused or something though. I’m thinking if you play around with the light a bit the pictures will get even better.

I’ve resorted to putting several drops of volatile mineral oil on top of the slab over the coin with a medicine dropper to make any scratches and glare on the slab go away. It pretty much makes the slab invisible to the camera. It’s even more critical for me to do that though because I’m using autofocus on my iPhone and the camera ends up focusing on scratches and/or glare from the slab rather than focusing on the coin.

Thanks for that, @Mr_Spud ! I appreciate all the help I can get!

My OmniCoin Collection

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file