Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

PSA graded Mickey Mantle: $500-600 budget...best choice?

I’ve always wanted a nice Mickey Mantle card and may buy one in the near future. My wife even asked with Father’s Day and my birthday coming this summer. :).

Anyway, any thoughts on the best choice in the $500-600 range? I know a lot is subjective based on personal preference, year, grade etc. but I’m interested in the board’s thoughts on best investment. I wouldn’t sell...I’d hold it long term, discuss it with a friend or two over a glass of bourbon and hand it off to my kids.

Comments

• handymanhandyman Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

Earliest years are always the best. Price range will make it a low grade.
    So PSA 1s
    1953 Bowman PSA 1
    1954 Bowman PSA 2
    1956 Topps PSA 1
    1957 Topps PSA 2

Those are classics and unless you want high grade. Which wont get a base card issue.

• addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

I’d shoot for a 57-59 in the 3-4 range.

Good luck!

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

best centered base 50's version you can get.

• Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m going the other way - 1964 Topps is a great looking card and still affordable. Centered PSA 5 for $600 with a little patience.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 7, 2021 7:41PM

I always feel like getting the highest grade you can is the best bet. PSA 7 1958 Mantle All Star. Great looking card and affordable because it is triple printed. Also love the stats vs each team in ‘57 on the back. Before the internet stats like that were awesome to see. Something you couldn’t find anywhere.

• There is no wrong answer here. While I agree his 50’s cards are more desirable, to me if it was gonna be my only Mick I’d want something at least mid grade (5 or 6). I’d suggest getting the best centered base card of his from 64, 66, 67, 68 or 69.

Again, all Mantles are a win so don’t stress too hard and be sure to post a pic when you get it!

• dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭

A great range and variety of suggestions. I would look at something a bit unique. I would look at the 1964 Topps Giants. I love this set and they are available in any grade. A PSA 9 goes for right around $600.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nathaniel1960 said:
    I’m going the other way - 1964 Topps is a great looking card and still affordable. Centered PSA 5 for $600 with a little patience.

@dontippet said:
    A great range and variety of suggestions. I would look at something a bit unique. I would look at the 1964 Topps Giants. I love this set and they are available in any grade. A PSA 9 goes for right around $600.

I like both of these ideas.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd also prefer a card in an attractive condition, or, save up if you want an earlier year.

• Hi,
    I bought a nice PSA 5 66 Mantle a few years back for around $160. Smart choice. It has a nice picture of him batting. Everyone has to own a Mantle. It's a badge of honor for a collector.

• It's a PSA 6.

• balco758balco758 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the 64 Giants idea.

I did something similar with that budget range.

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

For a number of reasons, I would buy the best raw Mantle card you could get for $525 and then have it graded for $75.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• KyserKyser Posts: 213 ✭✭✭

Mantle PSA DNA Auto card? I see some unique looking autographed cards and post cards starting around $300. For $600 you might could getting something nice.

• picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 8, 2021 9:04AM

This in my favorite Mantle..

You can get a nice 7 on a highlight type world series card.
    I got myself the Mantle hits 2 HR's
    Beautiful card..
    I went with a PSA 8 OC Less than $100.
    Heck you could even get 2 Mantles
    Allstar & Highlight type ..

• picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

@balco758 said:
    Love the 64 Giants idea.

I did something similar with that budget range.

This.. is a damn nice PSA 5.
    Love the 58 All Star

• 76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

Centered 1963 or 1967 topps psa 5 or 6. Both classics, make sure to get them centered. It makes eye appeal on those two much better.

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is no wrong answer! Just look for cards that are nicely centered with good resolution. As other have said, the older you go, the lower grade you are going to be looking at. Just find something that you like to look at.
    Personally, I have several mid to lower grade mantles and I enjoy them all. Over time my favorite has become the 1967 Topps that I have kept upgrading. I think I have a 7 now. A lot of people don't like the up close pic of the Mick but I rather enjoy it. Varying shades of the blue background..... I like the deep blue.

Oh yeah, I have 61 Topps that is 8oc but the registration is amazing with little to no snow. Something like that is also affordable if you don't mind a centering issues.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • swish54swish54 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭

A lot of great advice in this thread. I agree, don't think you can go wrong with any! Personally, I'd go with the oldest 50's card you can find with the best eye appeal. Maybe go raw so you can get a little better condition, and then grade it later.

I only have 1, it's a 1968 and would love to add some more eventually. I also have a 1956 Jackie Robinson PSA 1 (would be a 3ish if not for a small pinhole in a discrete location). It's my only Robinson I have and every time I look at it, I get that "feeling" that you are looking for in your Mantle.

• Geoff76Geoff76 Posts: 149 ✭✭✭

Agreed, swish - a lot of great advice in the thread. I really appreciate everyone's insight and will be sure to post a picture when I get something! Thanks again.

• bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

If you go for the 1969 card, it is kinda cool because it is his last. You also can't go wrong with anything in the 50's, although with your price range, you will be hard pressed to find anything above a 3.....with some of the cards, you might not even get a 1.

• surfyfunsurfyfun Posts: 75 ✭✭

Here is a nicely centered 1958 All-Star graded 4 for half your budget...shop smart and you could end up with two decent Mantles or an even nicer one of something like this.

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• @76collector said:
    Centered 1963 or 1967 topps psa 5 or 6. Both classics, make sure to get them centered. It makes eye appeal on those two much better.

Dunno if you've checked completed sales prices for 63 Mantles in 5 & 6 but it appears the train has left the station unless OP decides to up his budget.

@MantleMarisFordBerra said:

@76collector said:

Dunno if you've checked completed sales prices for 63 Mantles in 5 & 6 but it appears the train has left the station unless OP decides to up his budget.

Agreed...he can get a decent 1969 PSA 4 in his price range if he is patient enough....or an off centered PSA 5. If it were me, I would focus on a lower graded, centered version......the 1969 card also has his entire career stats.

• PNWcollectorPNWcollector Posts: 300 ✭✭✭✭

@surfyfun said:
    Here is a nicely centered 1958 All-Star graded 4 for half your budget...shop smart and you could end up with two decent Mantles or an even nicer one of something like this.

The seller of that PSA 4 Mantle would be willing to work out a deal with the buyer on here if he is interested :)

@PNWcollector said:

@surfyfun said:

The seller of that PSA 4 Mantle would be willing to work out a deal with the buyer on here if he is interested :)

Good deal.......Buyer, offer him $250 and be done with it....that leaves you $250 left to get a similar card.

• surfyfunsurfyfun Posts: 75 ✭✭

ha ha, nice

• handymanhandyman Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

1954 bowman mantle. Ill vote it 2xs

I took this $600 challenge and ran with it...

Came in well under budget, too. 😉

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

Nice card....looks like a '1' or a '2'....you gonna get it graded?

edited April 12, 2021 2:48PM

@bobbyw8469 said:

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

Nice card....looks like a '1' or a '2'....you gonna get it graded?

I would put it in a PSA holder when the right tier opens back up, sure. Maybe send it in as part of the Collectors Club some time down the line. There’s $205 left to play with and I’d probably prefer to get another card as part of the ‘challenge’ though.

That’s why I always thought buying raw cards is fun.

You get MORE cards!

ETA: For comparison, these were the ‘available’ already PSA graded 1957 Topps #95 for the same exact price range (under 600) on eBay:

Sorry for the black lines I must have added while cutting and pasting the image above...

• Geoff76Geoff76 Posts: 149 ✭✭✭

@MantleMarisFordBerra said:

@76collector said:

I noticed that. I think two went for $700+ on eBay yesterday.

Just adding one more thing here...

...I rarely like discussing ’numbers’ when it comes to cards. I’ve got lots of posts and almost none discuss profit potential.

My point was that this is one way you can have fun, stretch your dollar, submit yourself and get a nice looking card in a PSA holder on a reasonable budget. This card blows the other three away and may get the same grade as any shown but there’s variance of appeal within grade.

Clearly.