Home Sports Talk
Options

Who is the GOAT of fame?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

In your opinion, who is the most famous person to ever live?

Comments

• Options

And don't say Humphrey Bogart, if you say Humphrey Bogart, I'll scream!

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jesus or Muhammad.

• Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭✭

Mike Schmidt and Mike Trout

• Options

I've thought about this, and I'm going to go with Elvis. It doesn't get any bigger than Elvis!

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

Santa Claus

• Options

@stevek said:
    Santa Claus

Yes, Santa is famous, but he never owned a pair of blue suede shoes!

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:
    Santa Claus

I was gonna say that actor who starred in the movie Casablanca, but i couldn't recall his name.

• Options

Elvis is ridiculous famous, his influence is worldwide, and every species of life knows who he is. Thank you, thank you very much.

• Options

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:
    Santa Claus

I was gonna say that actor who starred in the movie Casablanca, but i couldn't recall his name.

Don't say it Steve!

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

has to be jesus christ

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    has to be jesus christ

Either Him or Gene Tenace.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jordan

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jesus Christ.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 8, 2021 5:51PM

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jesus Christ. This is truly one time it is not debatable. Well...you may debate it but I'd be careful of lightning.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 8, 2021 5:44PM

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options

I still say!

• Options

Oh, oh! I asked my wife who she thinks is the GOAT of Fame and she said Marilyn Monroe. I knew she would pick a woman!

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom Brady 🤷‍♂️

• Options

I knew Tom Brady was going to make an appearance on this thread, I'm just surprised it took so long. You guys are slippin!

• Options

I just locked in a bid on ebay for an Elvis card, and I'll fight viciously to win it!

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    Oh, oh! I asked my wife who she thinks is the GOAT of Fame and she said Marilyn Monroe. I knew she would pick a woman!

From that response, i already know who your wife's favorite actor is.

I think your wife would be very angry if she knew you were not allowing others to mention the name of her favorite actor in this thread.

• Options

I think it would be more interesting if we set a date for this one. if we do all time, it would have to be either Jesus Christ or Mohammud.

what if we held it to say, 1900 forward?

that would leave us with a pretty interesting debate. you would have those such as
    Gandhi
    Mother Theresa of Calcutta
    Pope John Paul II
    Nelson Mandela
    John Kennedy
    Elvis

I would hazard a guess that since the turn of the 20th century, the most famous person worldwide would be one with a very bad reputation. I would think it could go to
    Mao
    Hitler
    Stalin

terrible terrible people, but greatly feared by many and very very famous.

i would think that most people around the world, including 3rd world countries, would instantly have an image in their heads when hearing the name Adolf Hitler

• Options

Godwin's Law illustrated once again. :)

• Options

@stevek said:

not exactly. I didn't compare anyone to Hitler, only stated that he is very very famous for very bad reasons.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I just locked in a bid on ebay for an Elvis card, and I'll fight viciously to win it!

This just gave me an idea. Our hosts should create a set where you have to collect one card from everyone @doubledragon has started a thread about.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe Hitler was Times Man of the year.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@craig44 said:

@stevek said:

not exactly. I didn't compare anyone to Hitler, only stated that he is very very famous for very bad reasons.

You're right, in the truest sense of Godwin's Law. :)

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

This just gave me an idea. Our hosts should create a set where you have to collect one card from everyone @doubledragon has started a thread about.

I don't know, I'll have to ask my wife who her favorite actor is. Personally, I've always enjoyed seeing Nick Nolte make public appearances, he never disappoints!

• Options

@Brick said:

I didn't google it but i think you're right.

I've read a lot about WW2 and Hitler. There's no "other" side to him. Just mass murdering, glib talking, evil diseased filth.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

They used to produce cards such as this. A number of those cigarette cards of the past have all sorts of peoples and topics.

I have a lot of them. Nothing valuable, just bought cheap lots off Ebay over the years when in the mood and i see something cool.

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

We already did that. Look up the Tom Brady Master Set. It's pretty popular. ;-)

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options

@stevek said:

@Brick said:

I didn't google it but i think you're right.

I've read a lot about WW2 and Hitler. There's no "other" side to him. Just mass murdering, glib talking, evil diseased filth.

Same thing with Stalin & Mao

• Options
    edited April 8, 2021 7:06AM

@doubledragon said:

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

I don't know, I'll have to ask my wife who her favorite actor is. Personally, I've always enjoyed seeing Nick Nolte make public appearances, he never disappoints!

My question to Nick would be why? It would be so much easier to put on something different to get that I’m a weirdo look, something much easier than that red thing to pull all over yourself lol

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

I figured maybe she kept mentioning how handsome he was, and you were so sick and tired of hearing it, that you didn't want his name mentioned further. LOL

• Options

Maybe it's CTE from when he starred in North Dallas Forty. LOL

• Options

Another Nick Nolte classic.

• Options

• Options

I asked my wife who her favorite actor is and her answer is.....

• Options

@doubledragon said:

That's a young Humphrey Bogart in the dance scene from Casablanca.

• Options

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

That's a young Humphrey Bogart in the dance scene from Casablanca.

Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk, I'm a woman's man, no time to talk.

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

Looking at the cast of Fame, I'd have to say Janet Jackson. 25 episodes from 1984-1985

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Muhammad Ali might be the most recognizable figure in the world. Since this is a Sports Forum I'll go with him

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

Mel Gibson has worn disguises when going out in public. Here, you can clearly see that Mel is wearing the classic fake nose with mustache disguise.

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I've thought about this, and I'm going to go with Elvis. It doesn't get any bigger than Elvis!

And it was very dangerous for him on stage. Girls throwing their hotel room keys, and panties at him. He's lucky he didn't slip and fall or lose an eye.

• Options

@hammer1 said:

@doubledragon said:

And it was very dangerous for him on stage. Girls throwing their hotel room keys, and panties at him. He's lucky he didn't slip and fall or lose an eye.

And don't forget the paper cuts he sustained from women giving him their numbers!

• Options

Hysterical female adulation, i know that feeling.

It's brutal i tell ya, brutal. 👩👩👩👩👩👩👩👩👩👩

• Options

@stevek said:
    Hysterical female adulation, i know that feeling.

It's brutal i tell ya, brutal. 👩👩👩👩👩👩👩👩👩👩

Very interesting indeed, I find women to be very unpredictable and often sneaky. They're always watching and listening Steve.

• Options

@Brick said:

That's because Time used to name the person that was biggest newsmaker of the year, regardless of reason. That led to the selection you mention, Ayatollah Khomeini and others. They eventually caved into criticism unable to mentally process the actual criteria for the "award" and stopped naming negative influencers the recipient.

• Options

Post-1900, the #1 is Muhammad Ali and it's probably not even close.