Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is John J. Ford Jr's middle name?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

For someone as influential in numismatics, I can't figure out his middle name.

Is it known?

Here's the Ford specimen of the original CSA half dollar.

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know, but I have a cousin whose middle name is really just "J" which is both annoying and super satisfying at the same time.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know, but my first thought was about The Simpsons where Homer's middle name was always a mystery until it was revealed that it was actually Jay. I'm kind of hoping that's John's middle name, too.

• Options
    edited April 7, 2021 7:24AM

@ShaunBC5 said:
    I don't know, but my first thought was about The Simpsons where Homer's middle name was always a mystery until it was revealed that it was actually Jay. I'm kind of hoping that's John's middle name, too.

Wow, great guess! Apparently, it is "Jay"! Maybe Homer got his name from John J. Ford.

This is from the LA Times:

John Jay Ford Jr., 81; Coin Dealer, Collector of Early American Coins

John Jay Ford Jr., 81, a coin dealer known for his meticulous numismatic catalogs whose personal collections of early American coins have astonished recent auction-goers, died July 7 at a nursing home in Scottsdale, Ariz.

Bidders have spent $35 million on such rarities as the oldest coins issued by the Continental Congress and Confederate pennies. Ford’s collections could bring in more than $55 million, the amount spent for the collection of Louis Eliasburg, who assembled examples of every known American coin, according to one expert.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2005-jul-21-me-passings21.2-story.html

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

From his obituary in the New York Times:

"John Jay Ford Jr. was born on March 5, 1924, in Hollywood, where his father liked to socialize with movie people."

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't found that one. I found a John Jay Ford III, though, but he was not the son of the John J. Ford Jr. we're looking for (seemed like good guy, though).

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShaunBC5 said:

That episode also came to mind for me. Has one of my favorite all-time lines from the show. Homer's talking to two hippies, who are discussing their VW van:

"When we sold that van, it's like the 60's just ended."
    "Yeah... December 31st, 1969..."

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not exactly sure but, :)

John J. Ford Jr. in 1980. (Photo: ANA)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Born in Hollywood, California. Married to Joan M. MacDonald in November 1947. They have three daughters. Served with Army Signal Corps during World War II 1943 to 1946, at ETOUSA Headquarters August 1944 to October 1945, with U.S. Marine Corps Reserve 1948 to 1950, with Army Counter Intelligence 1950 to 1959.

Ford began to collect Lincoln cents in 1935. He went to work at Stack's in 1939 cataloging stamps. He worked for Stack's again from November 1941 to December 1941 afternoons and weekends. In 1942 he worked full time. He conducted at least eight auction sales under his own name 1941 to 1950. Associated with New Netherlands Coin Company 1951 to 1971. In 1958 Ford purchased the rights to Raymond's Standard Catalogue and other publications. Ford was a director of the PNG 1971 to 1975. Member of the I.A.P.N. after 1972. In 1977 he contributed funds to establish ANA’s Wayte and Olga Raymond memorial award.

Ford collected numismatic Americana except regular issue coinage. His collections include U.S. colonial coins, U.S. colonial medals (Betts medals), American historical medals issued prior to World War II, Indian peace medals, pioneer and territorial gold, assay ingots, territorial tokens, Hard Times and merchant tokens, post trader tokens, sutler tokens, U.S. counterstamps, fractional currency, encased postage, colonial and continental currency, western obsolete currency, U.S. obsolete currency and federal notes issued prior to 1861. Ford also has a large reference library.

His collection of Hitler medals was sold at auction by Bowers and Ruddy January 27, 1983. His assay medals were sold by Bowers and Merena as the Boyd-Ryder collection in 1985. Other consignments have been sold under the Boyd and Ryder names. His collection of West Indian counterstamps was sold at auction by Glendining's in London in October 1989.

He died in Phoenix, Arizona. His extensive collection was sold through a series of auctions conducted by Stack’s.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Quite an interesting life. No idea what his middle name was, could probably ask one of his daughters. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 8, 2021 8:13AM

"Jay" probably, and most likely is, his middle name. My speculation of this would suggest that he was names after John Jay, of revolutionary fame.

"John Jay (December 12, 1745 – May 17, 1829) was an American statesman, patriot, diplomat, Founding Father, abolitionist, negotiator, and signatory of the Treaty of Paris of 1783."

That's my take, anyway.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2021 8:55AM

@BuffaloIronTail said:
    "Jay" probably, and most likely is, his middle name. My speculation of this would suggest that he was names after John Jay, of revolutionary fame.

"John Jay (December 12, 1745 – May 17, 1829) was an American statesman, patriot, diplomat, Founding Father, abolitionist, negotiator, and signatory of the Treaty of Paris of 1783."

That's my take, anyway.

Pete

Nice info! :+1:

He has the same first and middle name as John Jay Pittman.

I wonder how many collectors have the same first and middle names?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file