Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Kudos To PCGS & The Set Registry Team For Being So Responsive

TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't historically participated in the PCGS registry. However, about a month ago I was going through some sets and admiring the coins when it appeared to me that the Newfoundland sets might be expanded a bit.

Specifically, the Newfoundland fifty cents business strike set, as then constituted, was a rather unwieldy beast containing 24-coins from three distinct series and produced from 1870 through 1919. This registry set had 16-coins from the Victoria (Vicky) series with one reverse combined with four-coins from the Edward VII series with a second reverse and finished with four-coins from the George V series with the same reverse as the Edward VII coins.

It seemed to me that the Vicky coins could be comfortably separated from the Edward VII and George V coins and that the latter two series might be combined together given their identical reverse. On a more practical collecting level, the grade and cost range of the Vicky coins was not consistent with what is typically found with the Edward VII and George V pieces. Therefore, sets built from all three series might be wildly uneven in terms of wear and aesthetics in circulated grades while those aimed at mint state grades might be barren for many issues.

I relayed my opinions to the PCGS Set Registry team and within a few weeks there appeared a new option for those of us who adore these Newfoundland issues. It seemed only appropriate to register a new set (and for a very brief period of time be in the top slot!) as a way to acknowledge and thank the PCGS Set Registry team.

Below please find links to my Edward VII & George V Newfoundland fifty cents set as well as to a non-competitive showcase featuring original-skin circulated coins. Thank you PCGS!

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/canada/newfoundland/newfoundland-fifty-cents-circulation-strikes-1904-1919/alltimeset/252584

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase/9713

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

Comments

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom,
    Nice start on a brand new set.
    I suggest you finish it quickly if you want to stay as the #1 set and stay in #1slot position in ATF.
    Wayne :)

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

Thank you for the kind words. The set won't be finished anytime soon and I will quickly lose the top slot and never regain it again. That's fine with me and I found it humorous that for a brief moment in time I could have the "finest" set, even if the only reason it would be "finest" might be because I was the first to notice the set option.

• Options

@TomB said:
    Thank you for the kind words. The set won't be finished anytime soon and I will quickly lose the top slot and never regain it again. That's fine with me and I found it humorous that for a brief moment in time I could have the "finest" set, even if the only reason it would be "finest" might be because I was the first to notice the set option.

Take a screen shot before it changes.
    Wayne :)

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

I already did! Seriously!

• Options
    JonJetJonJet Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

I've put it here for eternal posterity and storage

My 1957-2022 Proof Set Collection Has Been Sold

• Options

@TomB said:

I do too. I also take screen shots of my sets that beat DLH on my Dashboard.

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

Thanks @JonJet! Imaged for posterity...

• Options
    ClioClio Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Set Registry team are hands down the best customer service you can have at PCGS. They are great every time I deal with them.

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB I like your showcase set. Mid grade coins aren't what I collect, but I recognize and acknowledge the attractiveness and quality of the coins you've selected. Also, that Gobrecht dollar looks to a fun coin to own regardless of condition. Lovely!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options

Thank you for the kind words, @Catbert. I realize circulated coinage loses some of its glamor or luster (see what I did there?) for lots of folks, but I adore nice pieces just the same.

• Options
    JonJetJonJet Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

@WAYNEAS said:

@TomB said:

I do too. I also take screen shots of my sets that beat DLH on my Dashboard.

Here's another...1968-Present Proof Set...showing My set at #7 above DLH...just for posterity and bragging rights

If I can keep adding I'll top Erasmus some day soon !!

My 1957-2022 Proof Set Collection Has Been Sold

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:
    @TomB I like your showcase set. Mid grade coins aren't what I collect, but I recognize and acknowledge the attractiveness and quality of the coins you've selected. Also, that Gobrecht dollar looks to a fun coin to own regardless of condition. Lovely!

The 1806 quarter in P53 is to die for......... B2, cuds along the reverse rim at top, lots of great clashes, skin looks great!

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...