Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Maundy Thursday ... Maundy Sets

BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 1, 2021 10:40AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Today is Maundy Thursday, the Thursday before Good Friday and Easter Sunday. In England, the monarch gives money, in the form of silver coins to elderly people who are selected based upon their poverty and their service to their churches or community. Recipients may also be selected by clergyman of the various Christian denominations. Once selected a recipient remains one for life. New recipients are selected each year.

The gifts are given in two purses. The white one holds Maundy money in the one, two, three and four pence denominations. There one pence for each year of the monarch's life. A red purse contains £5 and a 50 p coin.

The modern Maundy coins do not circulate because their silver value exceeds their face value. Each coin has the portrait of the monarch on the obverse. and the value 1, 2, 3 or 4 partially surrounded by a wreath, the date and a crown on the reverse. These coins are highly prized by many collectors.

I have only two sets of Maundy coins which are included in coronation sets. The first a 1902 Edward VII "short set." This set goes up the the half sovereign and sovereign gold coins. The full set includes the two and five pound gold pieces. These coins are Matte Proofs.

The exterior of the box.

My other set was issued for George VI in 1937.

I know that some of you have some Maundy sets and would like to share them.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Comments

• Options
    1984worldcoins1984worldcoins Posts: 596 ✭✭✭✭✭

I need to take more pictures but here is the smallest: 0,47 grams, 11 mm:

Coinsof1984@martinb6830 on twitter

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭

Very nice Bill, and a great tradition.

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.royal.uk/maundy-thursday
    "Given the current circumstances, the Royal Maundy Service 2021 could not go ahead this year.
    Instead the Maundy money was blessed at the Chapel Royal, St James's Palace, before being posted to recipients alongside a letter from The Queen. This meant recipients could still receive their Maundy money and purses, and instead mark the special occasion from their homes."

I have a 1936 set, which were distributed by King Edward VIII. But they show his father's portrait, George V, who passed away in January of that year.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

Looking forward to that April Numismatist!

If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options

@Aethelred said:

Yes, it's a very nice article and a very good read.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

@Aethelred said:

Is the article about the Coin Shop Killer about Charles Sinclair?

thefinn
  • Options

@thefinn said:

@BillJones said:

@Aethelred said:

No, it’s about the cover story on the April “The Numismatist.”

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thefinn said:

@BillJones said:

@Aethelred said:

I had to google that. The Wiki was disturbing and sad. I'll be interested in reading that too. Hopefully that is the ONLY case that fits the description.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

thats a nice set

• Options
    WorldGoldWorldGold Posts: 14 ✭✭✭
    edited April 8, 2021 7:56PM

1838 set in proof

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭

@WorldGold said:

noice

• Options
    WorldGoldWorldGold Posts: 14 ✭✭✭

It's from a Heritage sale long ago.

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

Prince Charles handed out the maundy set this year, the first one Queen Elizabeth has missed since 1970.

• Options
    BjornBjorn Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

Here's a set I will be sending for grading soon... sorry for the bad photos. I think the 1p may get a details grade.

• Options

@RB1026 said:
    Just came across this post.

This 1732 Penny is my lone example at the moment, but I am on the look out for more ;) These are special coins with a truly historic legacy, imo. Btw, the article in the April 2021 issue of "The Numismatist" (as posted earlier in this thread) is a great read that will explain the series and offer interesting information for anyone trying to learn more about these coins. GREAT post @BillJones

I’ll have to pull out my issue and read the article that I somehow didn’t at the time. Fabulous coins.

• Options
    coinboynyccoinboynyc Posts: 41 ✭✭✭

I've always wondered why Elizabeth II's portrait was never updated on the Maundy coins.

Let's Go Mets!
  • Options

@coinboynyc said:
    I've always wondered why Elizabeth II's portrait was never updated on the Maundy coins.

It was probably not a priority, and those tiny coins are not the easiest to redesign. On top of that, they don’t circulate, and the collector market for them probably doesn’t care.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a great numismatic area and worth pursuing at some level- even if it is on a very limited scale. Currently I look for older sets but nice examples are not that easy to find. My earliest set is Charles II and my last set is George V. I would like to get a George VI set from either 1939 or 1945

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

@bidask said: