Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1989P Lincoln - DDR??

Hello everyone. I’ve been a follower of this forum for over a year but just recently registered as a member. I’ve been very impressed by the vast amount of knowledge by the members and a recent coin star reject tray find is what prompted me to finally join and seek input on a coin. I apologize in advance for the quality of the picture. All I have is my iPhone and this is the best I have been able to produce. Any suggestions on how to get a better image are certainly welcome. As stated in the title, this is a 1989P with doubling on the reverse. The coin is by no means perfect but in excellent condition for where it was found. I have compared it to the one example on variety vista and the doubling on my coin is much more pronounced than that shown on VV. I’ve also read about mechanical doubling vs doubled die and seen the numerous posts by other people on this forum asking about doubling on their coins. Seems like the most popular question on here. I’ve tried to do my homework but I can’t say that it is definitively one or the other. I haven’t found another example that looks even remotely close. One thing that may not be apparent in a photo is that some/most of the doubling, above the T’s in STATES for example, are (to the eye) bright shiny silver as if the copper is somehow gone and the zinc exposed. In a photo it looks dark grey. I know it’s probably just mechanical doubling and not worth submitting for grading but thought I’d see what the experts here have to say. Thank you in advance for any help.

Comments

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

MD

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2021 2:51PM

Welcome to the forum! That lime green rug reminds me of the 1960-70's. The Brady Bunch lives on!.........you had to be there.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

The areas where the zinc shows is known as split plate doubling, a fancy way of saying the copper plating layer was stretched and broke during the striking of the coin.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty cool for machine doubling.

I like Coinbuf's explanation.

Learned something today.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    maddoemaddoe Posts: 31 ✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    Welcome to the forum! That lime green rug reminds me of the 1960-70's. The Brady Bunch lives on!.........you had to be there.

Thank you! It’s actually a microfiber towel but I know what you mean. I vaguely remember that loud green from the 70’s lol

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum. About time you pulled the trigger. Lol. ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    maddoemaddoe Posts: 31 ✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:
    The areas where the zinc shows is known as split plate doubling, a fancy way of saying the copper plating layer was stretched and broke during the striking of the coin.

I knew I came to the right place. Thank you - makes perfect sense.

• Options
    ModwriterModwriter Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

@maddoe Are you going to submit for grading?

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:

This.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@maddoe ... Welcome aboard.... Yes, machine doubling... and I agree with the explanation for the zinc exposure. Actually, some good pictures there. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file