Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1870 half dime cameo proof?

Peace1Peace1 Posts: 43 ✭✭✭
edited March 31, 2021 2:04PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I just received this in the mail. It was hard to tell the details as the photos from seller were a phone camera thru a loop. Not too disappointed when I opened it and the fields were mirrored and frosted foreground doubt that it would grade more than a pr61

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on the photos, I don't think there's enough complete frost to get a cameo. I do think the dig on the reverse may be enough to get the coin in a details holder.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    HalfDimeDudeHalfDimeDude Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Proof coins are very difficult to read at times, it very had to capture images as seen in hand, that said its a nice coin but to my eye from the images given I see a coin that toned as many half dimes did...and lightly cleaned by looking at the center of its reverse.
    As a h-10 collector I find that raw coins that I buy have been dipped, cleaned and retoned,etc...I self slab any specimen that I believe that had been messed with....as by experience raw half dimes were in coin boards for display, the paper toned them, and those who didn't appreciate color did something to make them silver again.
    I stoped about 20 years ago having graded as 90% came back details,bent or cleaned.
    If I like the coin its life story isn't going to change my mind,it becomes part of the hoard.
    Good luck nice specimen.

"That's why I wander and follow La Vie Dansante"

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking half dime.... However, the reverse gouge will likely get it a 'details' grade. Good luck if you send it in. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

Looks cleaned. Sorry! Good luck if you send it in!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file