Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Let's see your most ridiculous RPD!

HalfDimeDudeHalfDimeDude Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a variety collector and cherry picker ,one studies every coin in hand searching for the next find.
Sometimes it requires some work to ID ,and or discover a new variety. Unless your talking shield nickels.
There are more unknown or undiscovered varieties in this series than others....but shields can be tricky .
As many perceived to be an rpd are often machine doubling.
Shields being a tad bit thicker than a normal, plus their composition puts them in the category of die destroyers, most dies used to pound out shield exploded way before 10k of strikes.
The couple that up with the fact it was 5 oclock at the mint 24/7 as drinking on the job was perfectly acceptable, to enjoy drinking on the job.....and I ain't talking Pespi.
Back to RPD's where sometimes they are hard to find but there,other times ......well you'll see.

"That's why I wander and follow La Vie Dansante"

Comments

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's pretty cool!

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice informative details and pictures.
    Wayne :)

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice RPDs!

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not as dramatic and amazing as your examples...but ridiculous for me because it was an honest to goodness vintage roll find! :)

1899 FS-301

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

@Kurisu said:
    This was another honest roll find in the same roll as the one I posted above and possibly one of the most ridiculous RPD's of all time lol.
    The semi famous "1 in Neck"
    Possibly my favorite roll and my favorite find in all my years searching :smiley:

This is an mpd in her neck not a rpd.

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2021 9:01PM

@HalfDimeDude said:

@Kurisu said:
    This was another honest roll find in the same roll as the one I posted above and possibly one of the most ridiculous RPD's of all time lol.
    Possibly my favorite roll and my favorite find in all my years searching :smiley:

Darn
    Well at least my post counts as ridiculous.

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let me play Devil’s Advocate and argue that an MPD is also a RPD since the date was punched at least twice, just not overlapping.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    Let me play Devil’s Advocate and argue that an MPD is also a RPD since the date was punched at least twice, just not overlapping.

i agree with this. there are at least a few instances within numismatics like this where something works both ways in one instance but not necessarily in the other. ie, a mpd can technically be an rpd but and rpd cannot be an mpd.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way cool coin

• Options
    edited April 1, 2021 3:30AM

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@CaptHenway said:

i agree with this. there are at least a few instances within numismatics like this where something works both ways in one instance but not necessarily in the other. ie, a mpd can technically be an rpd but and rpd cannot be an mpd.

Yes you could split hairs and say that, however the correct term for what youre looking at is an MPD.
    I should of stated that the 1 flag could be seen in her neck, and was misplaced , from the image my eyes couldnt determine if the date was a thicker punch surrounded by die chips or the date was actually a rpd.
    Now again lets take this a step futher....using your thought process ....so then an omm would be actually a rpm also?
    My apologies if my short reply seem just that short...i am 1 week post op and I over did my day yesterday. So at the time I hit post to be honest I was already 1 eye closed and the other supported with a tooth pick.
    However I couldn't help myself being layed up...I really enjoyed posting ,sharing and reading yesterday. Just knowing that this weekend is the Gettysburg show, being laid up since December, im about wire crazy....very ready to go over....

• Options

@Kurisu said:

@HalfDimeDude said:

@Kurisu said:

Darn

And yeah MPD's are one of my specialities as Ive been known to spot a mpd or dropped punch ,and pm a poster to just say hey.... there's a lot more meat on that bone.
    IHC seem to have a lot of double varieties as well seated coinage. And again sometimes very ridiculous....unless you account that durring this time peroid, mint workers were allowed to "drink" on the job! And im not talking coffee!
    Over the next month or so I will be posting im sure some specimens that will make you sratch your head and think how and the heck did this occur?
    I like folks who think out side the box....as well as challange authority when the they should.

• Options
    edited April 1, 2021 3:19AM

Thoughout this hobby there are examples of varieties some major that in all actuality are not a variety. Some still today are listed on slabs and again been proven to be not true.... look at this....1862/1 three cent silver not an repunch, not an over date , but a die chip that does closely resembles a 1 but if you do your homework and see its really a bad call of what was thought the be an over date.
    Again no claim to be an expert here...just 60 years of collecting, living in the right place at the right time. Cheers

• Options

@Kurisu you mpd is a nice variety, the vergis on its rev is a hot spot that need to be addressed if you wish to keep the specimen. Verdicare no longer available would of been the ticket.
    Heres what happens have a look at this token, which is a shame as it quite nice,but now even after i tried to arrest the hot spot it left a black crater in the obv.

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HalfDimeDude said:

@Kurisu said:

@HalfDimeDude said:

@Kurisu said:

Darn

And yeah MPD's are one of my specialities as Ive been known to spot a mpd or dropped punch ,and pm a poster to just say hey.... there's a lot more meat on that bone.
    IHC seem to have a lot of double varieties as well seated coinage. And again sometimes very ridiculous....unless you account that durring this time peroid, mint workers were allowed to "drink" on the job! And im not talking coffee!
    Over the next month or so I will be posting im sure some specimens that will make you sratch your head and think how and the heck did this occur?
    ** I like folks who think out side** the box....as well as challange authority when the they should.

Okay, here's a challenge . . . .

RPD, MPD, PMD, or "something else" . . . . .

Zoid

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    edited April 1, 2021 4:01AM

Post A clearer image and I'll pick that puppy right out. As well a complete image of the obv.

• Options

@HalfDimeDude said:
    Post A clearer image and I'll pick that puppy right out. As well a complete image of the obv.

Regrets, that was an enlargement of the best image I have. I'll need to get it out to try to take better photos, but here is the complete obverse from which the enlargement came.

Z

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options

Kevin Flynn has a small pocket book that list mpd's from lg. Cents to Double eagles. I like this for the newbie who wants to take a shot at the mpd varieties and cherry picking.
    Now again over 50 years of walking shows and coin clubs give me the advantage to know where to start.....this little pocket guide is nice to have as many ask me how I can remember all the varieties.....well the trick is knowing where to start... remembering pups on certain series , and sometimes even a blind pig finds a truffel. Kevins book that may be out of print, maybe obtained at coinzip.com if Alan is out of stock he maybe able to put you on the trail to finding.

• Options

@ZoidMeister said:

@HalfDimeDude said:

;)

Regrets, that was an enlargement of the best image I have. I'll need to get it out to try to take better photos, but here is the complete obverse from which the enlargement came.

Z

I'm sorry but the blur and distorted image makes this impossible using your image....
    However I like a challenge please reshoot and post I like being the " the amazing halfdimedude ".
    lol
    For over 10 years I was working some coin shows at the door and security....now Im not in LE but do have a background in the retail/wholesale food. I learned year ago that when working in a retail setting one must have eyes in the back of their heads.
    My saying was just when you believe that you have seen it all.....wait a minuite and see what walks into the store next. "There maybe a book in the works" as the general public are mostly clueless as to what is around them while shopping. Ive seen a many a ladies purse grow legs and walk away.
    So like a red tail hawk at a show I size you in size you up, and watch around the room, with a set of signals just in case someone had sticky fingers!
    I didn't pac....but always carry a knife....as a former meat cutter I rather cut ya.... then shoot ya....! ;)

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice ones!

• Options

@Mr_Spud said:
    Does a 1 over 1 count as a RPD?

Sure does nice specimen thanks for posting

• Options

I will get better photos as requested. Currently on my way to an even LESS desirable engagement than the one described below.

I'll be in the Endodontist chair for a root canal in less than 15 minutes.

Z

@HalfDimeDude said:

So like a red tail hawk at a show I size you in size you up, and watch around the room, with a set of signals just in case someone had sticky fingers!
    I didn't pac....but always carry a knife....as a former meat cutter I rather cut ya.... then shoot ya....! ;)

• Options
    edited April 1, 2021 5:11AM

@ZoidMeister said:
    I will get better photos as requested. Currently on my way to an even LESS desirable engagement than the one described below.

I'll be in the Endodontist chair for a root canal in less than 15 minutes.

Z

@HalfDimeDude said:

Been there done that..so I hope all goes well.. GOOD LUCK
    Ive had a inplant done before...now thats a huge undertaking which requires many office visits.
    So the root canal is a better way to go...before the loss of the tooth.
    Besides at your age the tooth fairy only leaves the dental bill not a shiny quarter.

• Options

Nice one CW tokens do have quite a few varieties and mistakes.
    Now this shows you my age...as a kid my father would take me to a coin shop in Ellicott city Md.
    That name may ring a bell as its an old mill town very old that was built in a bad place at the base of 3 rivers. Floods almost ever hard rain storm.
    Anyway CW tokens were cheap you find them in the old cigar box on the counter and yours for the taking for pennies on a dollar. Now look at them....omg prices worth big bucks.
    Thats a very cool specimen thank you for your post.

• Options

More of a double struck example than an RPD, right?

Waiting for the first shot to kick in.

Z

• Options
    edited April 1, 2021 6:20AM

@ZoidMeister said:
    More of a double struck example than an RPD, right?

Waiting for the first shot to kick in.

Z

Im thinking die deteration and md...as looking at this specimen it took a giggle in the chamber causing the coin to smear like more than a repunch. After studying the image.
    However its all good we got a peek at something different,and learned something! So all positive as we all got an education.

• Options
    edited April 1, 2021 7:24AM

Btw the 66 is a ddo too! A two fer....sweet

• Options

I do love MPD's, and I take some credit for helping make them popular. Bill Fivaz was visiting the ANACS office just before one of the ANA Summer Seminars back in the early 1980's (I think he was helping me teach Grading that year), and I happened to have on my desk an 1851 Quarter with a real strong base of the second 1 WAAAAY up on the rim. How it got that deep into the die I still haven't figured out. You can see it in one of the ANACS reprints.

Anyways, I said "Hey Bill! Take a look at this!" He looked, said "Wow!" and went out and started looking for dates in other places than the date area and publishing them in the CPG.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2021 7:20AM

Oh here is a cool discovery on an 1848 med date h~10. Talk about a mystery.....lets see if anyone can solve...as I have an idea no solid proof.
    So look at my close ups under the 1.
    Do you see that set of almost 90 degree sort of looks like a 7 ,raised medal,
    Explaine? Por Que ........

Blow up the image count them.4 one after the other

• Options

@CaptHenway said:
    I do love MPD's, and I take some credit for helping make them popular. Bill Fivaz was visiting the ANACS office just before one of the ANA Summer Seminars back in the early 1980's (I think he was helping me teach Grading that year), and I happened to have on my desk an 1851 Quarter with a real strong base of the second 1 WAAAAY up on the rim. How it got that deep into the die I still haven't figured out. You can see it in one of the ANACS reprints.

Anyways, I said "Hey Bill! Take a look at this!" He looked, said "Wow!" and went out and started looking for dates in other places than the date area and publishing them in the CPG.

Great story! This is why I am a variety collector.....key word variety.....as again I like different, not the run of the mill, the thrill of the hunt!
    Its a damn good thing Im grounded with this hip! Gettysburg is sounding so fun like....
    You know the drill Capt. Ya walk the floor mind and eyes wide open alert.....going from table to table,.....then you spot something.....ummm....poker face you ask may I see?
    Now the tricky part .....are we spot on ? Or do we need to do a reference check ? Poker face dont let on....ask for a price other than marked....then do you flip or fly to return when sure?
    You hand the coin back....he shoots a price....and bingo ya scored! However still only doing the happy dance in your head....as you need to be cool....until on the parking lot where the happy dance begins!
    However I know so many dealers here , I more so cherry pick them and let them know that $300 IHC in ms 63 red is worth triple!
    And you know pickin is fun but being honest....most of the time they will say ya know what...give me $325 and it yours.
    That has happen so many times it not funny....as not having cash flow at that moment is bitter sweet.

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options

Sweet ....and so evenly wore!

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister said:

Zoid

That's an easy one, it's a 2018 punched over an inverted date.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been partial to this one, back when "going to shows" was a thing it felt like these used to find me more than I found them. This one is the earliest die state I've owned, but it has some other unfortunate issues.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options

@seanq said:

@ZoidMeister said:

Zoid

Sean Reynolds

Work has been getting in the way most of the day. I quickly took a few additional photos but most didn't come out well. I will try again in a little bit. I'm off to yet another meeting . . . . . . .

Z

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ridiculous? That would have to a 1866 5C RPD that I used to have.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2021 9:42PM

My first Cherry Pick at my favorite B+M shop.

1864L RPD AG 03. POP 1

Lowest graded for this specific variety.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

My best cherry pick was probably an 1844-O half, but I have always been partial to the inverted dates.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Small inverted on deck, 82's not available at this time... I'm just being lazy.
    Good Night.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister said:

@seanq said:

@ZoidMeister said:

Zoid

Sean Reynolds

Work has been getting in the way most of the day. I quickly took a few additional photos but most didn't come out well. I will try again in a little bit. I'm off to yet another meeting . . . . . . .

Z

Since there was only one die to strike all specimens of that medal (and other strikes don't show the same artifacts) the odd character of the "2018" date can be explained as a broad strike on an irregular cob-style planchet.

• Options

@dcarr said:

@ZoidMeister said:

@seanq said:

@ZoidMeister said:

Zoid

Sean Reynolds

Z

Since there was only one die to strike all specimens of that medal (and other strikes don't show the same artifacts) the odd character of the "2018" date can be explained as a broad strike on an irregular cob-style planchet.

I remember well.

I was using it as a challenge piece. The OP used a few "Zoid trigger" terms in this post that was the catalyst for me to post it.

1. "Ridiculous"
    2. "Think outside the box"
    3. "Challenge authority"

I just got busy over the past 24 hours and didn't have time to follow through.

Here is the best close up I could get with my current equipment.

Z

• Options

@dcarr said:

@ZoidMeister said:

@seanq said:

@ZoidMeister said:

Zoid

Sean Reynolds

Z

It's also not a bad way to introduce those who might be unfamiliar, to your work . . .

Z

• Options
    edited April 2, 2021 6:46AM

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Re-punched 5 on this 1785 5 Kopek

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights