Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Possible 1983 D Lincoln Cent DDO FS 101 - may I please have your opinions.

Hello - this 1983 D Lincoln appears to be the DDO FS 101. I see the die marker crack in the hairline that’s listed on the variety vista site but wanted to get your thoughts and if it does turn out to be the DDO may I have your opinions on a possible grade. Thanks for taking a look.

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

No doubling plus die crack doesn’t match

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not see doubled letters or numbers.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

not seeing anything doubled either

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see a Lincoln cent that is worth one cent. If you have wonder about it, it is not worth bothering with.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

No good. Try buying a few ANACS slabbed minor varieties on the cheap to study under magnification. It will help in your searches.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2021 7:54AM

I see the doubling in your images of the date, and it appears similar to DDO-001 FS-101.

HOWEVER The die crack and ear don't match up, which preclude it from being that variety. The CONECA website has instructions for submitting suspected varieties to James Wiles for attribution. It might be worth the cost (which isn't that high) to send it to him for his opinion.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    IcollecteverythingIcollecteverything Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

I think I see some doubling.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options

Thanks all for taking a look. I will check out CONECA/James wiles site. Appreciate you!

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cmerlo1 said:
    I see the doubling in your images of the date, and it appears similar to DDO-001 FS-101.

HOWEVER The die crack and ear don't match up, which preclude it from being that variety. The CONECA website has instructions for submitting suspected varieties to James Wiles for attribution. It might be worth the cost (which isn't that high) to send it to him for his opinion.

Just an FYI James is no longer involved in the identification and authentication for CONECA anymore.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't lose hope. Keep searching. I'm trying to find that one too. ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

Here is the second 1983 d Lincoln I came across with a die crack in the hairline that may have possibilities.

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

Having a cracked skull is common on Lincoln cents. And while it can be used as a die marker, it must be used along with all the other markers listed on variety web sites and publications to id a given variety. That said, determining varieties is a hot mess when you’re starting out. There are so many things to understand like how a cent is even made that helps you understand what you have or don’t have in your hand. The second problem is that all the aides are basically incomplete. I say this because while we are fortunate to have the resources and the willingness of so many collectors to set up web pages and print books, it would be impossible to cover ALL the die stages, anomalies and such over a wide range of die wear and more importantly, circulation wear. Like most varieties – they are easy to see on mint state coins – not so much on VG coins. How I got around this is by simply making my own reference library of pictures. Be they photographed from books, web pages, auction sites, - or where ever you can get a good shot of a KNOWN specimen. Use your own filing/naming system to be able to retrieve them later for comparison. I would also encourage you to visit the Lincoln Cent Resource.com – very knowledgeable Lincoln cent variety experts can be found there. And if you have not discovered Coppercoins.com. that’s another good resource. You need everyone of these to pursue variety collecting.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file