Input welcome...considering sending for grading

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking Peace dollar... Not super high grade...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks to have really nice luster!

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like Peace dollars, and I like that one! It looks like a 63 or 4, but they aren't really high dollar even at that grade. I'd enjoy it as is. Looks like you're kinda new here, so WELCOME!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Peace1 .... Oh yeah... Welcome aboard... :) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

welcome.........looks like a 64

👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe it's just the photo, but it looks like a slider to me. I don't see a compelling reason to pay to have it graded.

• Options
    Peace1Peace1 Posts: 43 ✭✭✭

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

The additional photos help. I see it as an MS coin now, probably not AU.

That said, I don't think it's particularly well struck, maybe slightly above average. There is lack of high-point definition on in the central hair and along the eagle's shoulder and front of the eagle's leg.

That aside, the coin has some extensive water marks, which I find distracting. They don't bother some people, but I've never seen coins with this graded above MS64 or so. The worst water spot is on the cheek, which is the #1 focal spot on a Peace dollar. There are abrasions on the fields, cheek, and neck that keeps this out of gem territory.

So, lets say it's MS63 with an outside shot at MS64. That makes it a $60-70 coin, tops. It's easy to find coins of this quality in large quantities. They made 12 million of this date. It's still a nice, attractive coin, but I don't think there's any reason to submit it for grading. With shipping, you're looking at least a $40 investment, if you can combine it with other orders. Without grading maybe it sells for $40-50. After grading maybe it sells for $50-60. That doesn't seem like a good return on investment.

• Options
    Peace1Peace1 Posts: 43 ✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    The additional photos help. I see it as an MS coin now, probably not AU.

That said, I don't think it's particularly well struck, maybe slightly above average. There is lack of high-point definition on in the central hair and along the eagle's shoulder and front of the eagle's leg.

That aside, the coin has some extensive water marks, which I find distracting. They don't bother some people, but I've never seen coins with this graded above MS64 or so. The worst water spot is on the cheek, which is the #1 focal spot on a Peace dollar. There are abrasions on the fields, cheek, and neck that keeps this out of gem territory.

So, lets say it's MS63 with an outside shot at MS64. That makes it a $60-70 coin, tops. It's easy to find coins of this quality in large quantities. They made 12 million of this date. It's still a nice, attractive coin, but I don't think there's any reason to submit it for grading. With shipping, you're looking at least a $40 investment, if you can combine it with other orders. Without grading maybe it sells for $40-50. After grading maybe it sells for $50-60. That doesn't seem like a good return on investment.

I bought two like this for $30 shipped so I still will make money if I decide to sell...thank you for your input

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks 63.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

64 would likely be the max on this coin.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

No thank you.
    Lance.

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Carefully place some mineral oil on the coin and hopefully the watermark will come off. Otherwise a pleasant looking silver dollar but do not spend more $ on having the coin graded unless you get a PCGS quarterly special deal.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still like its luster potential but that white substance on the obverse detracts from the coin's overall look.

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a nice coin but not worth the expense to grade. IMO a coin like that will generally sell for the same amount in or out of a holder.
    Even if it comes back 64 it's a $60 coin that you will have paid $40 to grade. You are better off selling it raw for $30 or so, this is assuming your goal is to sell one or both of them.
    Priority #1 should be attempting to get that water spot off the coin(without ruining it). With that it doesn't matter if it comes back 65, no one is going to pay 65 money for a coin with a big water spot right on the cheek.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

64 Max, i agree with the masses here. Put it in an album :smile:

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2021 9:28AM

Nice CH BU - I would put in flip or 2x2 price at CW Trends 63 money. Open to negotiation if room. Would not spend money slab it.

Certainly a shot at 64 if u decide send it in to our hosts.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice album coin.
    Spend the money that might have gone to grading and have some fun. Maybe buy another coin.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file