Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why is it...

Why is it that every coin that I look at or consider buying is "significantly under-graded" but every coin that I have in my collection and would like to consider selling is "grossly over-graded" or should never have gotten through with something better than a "Details" grade.

Seriously every coin that I have submitted to PCGS from my fathers collection when I tried to get an opinion was told that they wouldn't grade or just were not worth it. Well every one of them graded, one miss-read of condition and I forgive but all of them? Now several I understand a dealer would never submit because the added value wasn't there but the value for me was there.

I also always got the "so do you want to sell them?" line. I mean if they were so bad way do they want to buy them? I have given up on getting dealer opinions on raw coins. I basically only buy graded coins but would like to be able to cherry pick some raw coins but I wouldn't trust a dealer to give me hints. I feel like I just have to figure it all out myself. I can spot scratches and harsh cleanings, polishing isn't that hard either but I don't trust myself to see light or old cleanings.

Comments

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you have photos of your under graded PCGS coins, try running one or two through the GTG gauntlet here for other opinions.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2021 5:19PM

Dealers have to buy low so they can sell high,,,,,,,,,,,,, some dealers like to buy lower than others,,,,,,

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭

Depends on the dealers your doing business with. Many are fair and some not so. . The top grading firms have leveled the "playing field" with their services a bit . It"s the fun and challenge of numismatics,to learn how to grade and spot problem coins.This forums past experiences and info can be a wealth of knowledge,if you search and use it

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know what coins you speak of or collect. Figuring it out yourself is a worthy endeavor and a lifetime journey in this hobby.

After collecting for almost 40 years i am not to proud or cheap to pay for expert opinion if need be!

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

...that people want to turn everything into click bait.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

The fact that all of your coins graded doesn’t necessarily mean that the dealers were incorrect in thinking they weren’t worth grading. Different people have different ideas regarding what’s required for grading to be worthwhile. Nowhere near all dealers (or collectors) claim that most or all of their coins are under-graded. If you meet enough, you’ll see.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

...that buyers want to pay as little as possible and sellers want to get as much as they can regardless of whether they're dealers or collectors?

Don't know.

BTW... This:

"would like to be able to cherry pick some raw coins"

doesn't sound like you want to pay up for nice coins, either.

Just sayin'. ;)

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    The fact that all of your coins graded doesn’t necessarily mean that the dealers were incorrect in thinking they weren’t worth grading. Different people have different ideas regarding what’s required for grading to be worthwhile. Nowhere near all dealers (or collectors) claim that most or all of their coins are under-graded. If you meet enough, you’ll see.

This should really be reflected upon.

There are a LOT of coins submitted that aren't worth the $30 to $50 that it costs to grade them. This does not belittle the coin or the grader or the dealer's opinion. If you put a $50 coin in a $50 holder, you still only have a $50 coin.

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cashing out? Shop them around and sell to the highest dealer.

Squeezing every last penny? You gotta invest time and money grading and alot of effort.

Either case will likely net the same.

Joining the hobby?

PCGS and CAC make it so you have a turn key service.

I would sell those you don’t have an attachments too, use the funds towards the above.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Thrindal said:
    Why is it that every coin that I look at or consider buying is "significantly under-graded" but every coin that I have in my collection and would like to consider selling is "grossly over-graded" or should never have gotten through with something better than a "Details" grade.

Welcome to the jungle.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was a time I would've agreed with you. There seems to be a fairly healthy market of coins of this nature. There are several sellers on ebay doing quite well selling AG-VG graded common date Barber halves in particular. I'm seeing prices as high as $60 and they sell!

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

This should really be reflected upon.

There are a LOT of coins submitted that aren't worth the $30 to $50 that it costs to grade them. This does not belittle the coin or the grader or the dealer's opinion. If you put a $50 coin in a $50 holder, you still only have a $50 coin.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually, you will see similar issues in the used car market...Your car 'has issues', their car for sale is 'super clean'....Just the way the market works. Hype by the seller, disparaging points noted by the buyer.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grading is an opinion and opinions vary from person to person.

All glory is fleeting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file