Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2020 Silver Proof Set Pricing

What's up with the values PCGS assigns to 2020 silver proof set with the W nickel? Ebay's sales of these sets ranged from $150 for auction and $158 for Buy It Now. I paid $146.75 in January.

However, PCGS Proof Sets Price Guide pegs them at $80.

Usually, it's the other way around. PCGS seems to be higher than the prices sold on Ebay (probably because of the certification).

But why does PCGS UNDERstate the price by almost half?

Comments

• Options
    Danno44Danno44 Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2021 10:12AM

Original issue price was 63.25, then the mint issued the price increase later in the year.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a price GUIDE. Use it or don't. It takes time for these to find their level. Wait a bit, it'll get down to $80. >:)

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Treeves - Welcome aboard!

• Options

Thanks, I love to feel connected !

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    It's a price GUIDE. Use it or don't. It takes time for these to find their level. Wait a bit, it'll get down to $80. >:)

I HOPE not. It'd better go the other way :)

• Options

How much do you think closures due to the pandemic affected the 2020 price? Is there a final mintage yet on these sets?

• Options
    SnapsSnaps Posts: 187 ✭✭✭✭

@Treeves said:
    Is there a final mintage yet on these sets?

• Options

@Treeves said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I HOPE not. It'd better go the other way :)

Unlikely. Look at the history of these sets.

If you want to make money, do not park it in annual sets, especially silver sets.

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said: “ If you want to make money, do not park it in annual sets”

I definitely agree with this statement. Less certain about the “especially silver sets” part.

Higashiyama
  • Options

@Higashiyama said:
    @jmlanzaf said: “ If you want to make money, do not park it in annual sets”

I definitely agree with this statement. Less certain about the “especially silver sets” part.

If you look at the silver sets and their higher premiums, they fall farther. If you go back a few years, most of the silver sets basically sell as bullion, there is no numismatic premium left. But the silver sets sell initially with a much higher numismatic premium. I mean the current sets are $105 against a bullion value of about $25. That's an $80 "numismatic premium". The 2021 clad proof sets only sell for $32 which is about a $30 numismatic premium. When the clad set gets down to face value, you've lost $30. When the silver set gets down to bullion, you've lost $80. Your only hope is that silver gets to $60 per ounce.

• Options

By the way, if we’re talking about current pricing, I definitely agree. I am biased by earlier pricing, and the fact that some of the prior silver sets (2012, 2020 and a few others) are a bit pricey.

Higashiyama
  • Options

PS: any speculation on what the rather lavish pricing on the 2021 silver set will do to demand? I'm guessing that with the potential popularity of the Tuskegee Airmen and Washington Crossing designs, it will remain pretty strong, but could fall off in future years.

Higashiyama
  • Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Higashiyama said:
    PS: any speculation on what the rather lavish pricing on the 2021 silver set will do to demand?

Judging by comments made on other Forum posts, I'm guessing the demand will be down. The mint hopefully will see this and attribute it to the BS price increase, then next year they will drop the price to a more reasonable level. I still have to get my usual amount to keep my Dansco's current but no extras this year.

• Options
    MrweaseluvMrweaseluv Posts: 215 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lucky me... I had 4 granddaughters all born 2020... had to buy 4 sets, 3 from the mint.. the 4th cost me $105 at auction... now that out of the way just need to convince my kids 5 grandkids is enough lol these sets not cheap anymore lol

You may soar with the eagles, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!.
    https://www.cointalk.com/media/albums/the-2020-20-large-cent-set.1855/

• Options
    AlongAlong Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭

I don’t think the mint will lower prices as long as people “have” to or “had” to buy them to keep sets current.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Annual sets from the mint are winners for flippers and losers for those that buy and hold. That is cold hard fact!! That being said, for those who collect, it is important to have the unbroken series.... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file