Home U.S. Coin Forum

perhaps in my younger days.....................

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

perhaps in my younger days..................... I would have done this.

:) What coin do you wish that you purchased in your younger years? :)
https://youtu.be/INbKYq0G9nU
:) What coin do you wish that you purchased in your younger years? :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Early copper and type, but any success I would have had then would have been blind luck because I wouldn't have known what to look for in terms of quality. Looking back, even then it likely would have been outside my budget. Too many other priorities.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

no regrets .... :)

If we all had hindsight, we would all be billionaires ....

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trade dollars.

I remember when they were the red-headed stepchildren of the coin world, especially if chopmarked.

I am sure there are better investments I could name, but I regret not picking up a few back in the day.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2021 1:52PM

Key and semi-key Morgan dollars and all Saints in near gem.

Edit to add: I could never be a tower climber or a lineman!!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set:

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bit coin

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

tulips

edited March 29, 2021 11:47AM

Fricking no way dude! I can't even watch that anymore :#
    Edit, it's going to give me nightmares - No Bueno!

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever said:
    Fricking no way dude! I can't even watch that anymore :#
    Edit, it's going to give me nightmares - No Bueno!

It is a bit unnerving at the top :#

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope!

Had about $5K cash on me from busing tables at a local restaurant after one summer.... circa 1980

Dad had me meet a stockbroker... I wanted a car.

Wonder what the 1916/16 or 1918/7 Buff would have gone for in AU around that time?

They were $15K and $6K respectively in 1996. About as far back as PCGS will go is about the farthest I can reach back.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Overall, the opportunities I had available that would have paid off came at times when I had no ability to take advantage of them. Sometimes life is like that. I knew when Apple stock had hit it low that I wanted to invest but I was at the tail end of college and beginning to be out in the world. I simply had no money and by the time I did I had other priorities. But if I had money back then, I'd have lots of money now, lol.

All good, though. My life has been quite blessed and I've been very fortunate to be in the situation I am in today.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

Im glad i dont drink 😖

edited March 30, 2021 3:03AM

Double post (i dont noon before i drink) 🤪

• VicPortlandVicPortland Posts: 278 ✭✭✭

Capped bust half dollars when they were dirt cheap (like 40 years ago).

• SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

High grade 1795 FH $1 and $0.50, and all years DBHE $1 and $0.50.

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny9434 said:
    Im glad i dont drink 😖

I don't know. Your post is seeing double ;)

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

A particular couple of acres of land that ended up being at a major interstate exit. $2000 suddenly became worth millions!

Doing that would be 100% safe.

Your mind may tell you otherwise.

• Bruce7789Bruce7789 Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭

Right after the Government released Gold from the $35.00 an ounce wish i had bought a lot more than I did when paying around $50.00 and ounce!

Of course you are correct @ErrorsOnCoins
    mind over matter. :)
    boston

@1630Boston said:
    boston

Exactly, spent 8 hrs on the Pacific Ocean on a kayak yesterday rock fishing and never once worried about Great White Sharks that thrive in the area.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,592 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2021 4:21PM

I could have had 4 or 5 BU ... 1955/55 Lincoln cents for $525.00.

@Jimnight said:
    I could have had 4 or 5 BU ... 1955/55 Lincoln cents for $525.00.

That would be nice :)

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@1630Boston said:
    boston

Exactly, spent 8 hrs on the Pacific Ocean on a kayak yesterday rock fishing and never once worried about Great White Sharks that thrive in the area.

I love your passion for the out of doors and error coins
    boston

• MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

That video brought back memories of jumping out of perfectly good aircraft

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

@Mgarmy said:

Been there, done that, too old to do it today :)
    boston

PS
    not too old........too many responsibilities :D

My knees would implode doing a plf. fell like a sack of potatoes even when I was young😁

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

@Mgarmy said:
    My knees would implode doing a plf. fell like a sack of potatoes even when I was young😁

yes :)

edited March 29, 2021 8:11PM

@Mgarmy said:

@Mgarmy said:

Done it before...........gotta do it again.......here it is......
    staic line jump---great fun :D

https://youtu.be/bC8HDPEg_ho

God Bless
    Thanks to our HEROS

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yspsales said:
    Nope!

Had about $5K cash on me from busing tables at a local restaurant after one summer.... circa 1980

Dad had me meet a stockbroker... I wanted a car.

Wonder what the 1916/16 or 1918/7 Buff would have gone for in AU around that time?

They were $15K and $6K respectively in 1996. About as far back as PCGS will go is about the farthest I can reach back.

1916/16 Not priced below VF. It was first listed two years previously in the 1978 "Red Book" where it was unpriced and was called a doubled date instead of a doubled die.
    1980 Red Book VF $275 XF $400 MS60 $750

1918-D 8/7
    1980 Red Book GOOD-$165 VG-$275 FINE-$475 VF-$900 XF-$1850 MS60-$9500

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I cherried about a dozen 1918-D 8/7 between 1962 and 2010, all in Good to VF condition. And I'm sure a 16/16 could have been cherrypicked with enough searching. I have been looking for one since the early 80s but with no luck.

• markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Palladium 1 oz coins, I remember when starting out collecting, 1 oz of palladium was about $400-500 in around 2015 If I had that money like I have it now I would have bought one. LOL it would have bean one hell of a good investment as 1oz is now going for around $2500

Bitcoin..nuff said

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had way too many flashbacks. No thanks. I am grateful for my life today. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, Ricko, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, Jzyskowski1, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich

edited March 30, 2021 3:06AM

@BuffaloIronTail said:

@johnny9434 said:
    Im glad i dont drink 😖

I don't know. Your post is seeing double ;)

Pete

Sorry i usally dont noon before drink 😖

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@1630Boston said:
    boston

Did you catch any rocks?

Speaking of fishing on credit. Have you ever gone fishing with someone who gets seasick. It's pretty funny if you're not the one. The first obvious sign is that they are quiet for about 30 minutes, and seem to be really honed in on they're fishing. That's when you know they're fishing on credit (empty hook) and they're really just trying to maintain while convincing themselves that everything is okay. Then the next sign is a bluegreenish tint in the face or sometimes a white ghostlike appearance. At this point they know its not okay and that's when you ask them, "Hey, you getin' any bites". Then almost immediately after, the third and final sign is the auto chumer named Raaaallppphhhh!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Opportunities missed or passed on occur in all different life pursuits. I stacked a lot of gold when it was cheap compared to today, dirt cheap. I should have stacked more. As far as coins, way back in my younger years, I really did not know enough about coins to know if I missed an opportunity.... so ignorance is bliss. ;) As far as climbing towers, I always had to fix our TV antenna, because Dad could not handle heights. And I was the high diving champ in the village.... Top of the bridge, tree on the cliff etc. No dive too high - at that time.... Then the upper yardarm on the ship once....Lots of fun. Cheers, RickO

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish I had traveled more before the world went to crap. I tend to regret not what I missed but what I passed up.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file