the USMNT is a disgrace

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

330 million people and we can't beat Honduras to get to Tokyo later this year

3rd successive Olympic tournament that will take place without us

Comments

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

The following is just my opinion.....

In the US, the best athletes are steered from a young age towards the sports they can most benefit from. This means the best young male athletes don't usually end up focusing on soccer.. The best female athletes more frequently do. There is a huge discrepancy on either side regarding to our ability to compete on the international stage because of this. If our best male athletes were all steered towards soccer like they are football, baseball, and basketball the results would be different.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

3rd successive is a bit hard to believe for a nation of our size.

I know nothing about soccer, but i'd say the first thing to do would be to fire all the organizers, coaches, etc, and anyone else responsible for putting together the team. Get those who are winners and can find the right players and properly inspire them. Perhaps use a Herb Brooks type as a model of who to put in charge.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

No idea what USMNT is anyways lol

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

No matter how much ESPN tries the US doesn't care about soccer. I started playing soccer in 1975 and played well into my adult years and also coached my kids for many years through the comp ranks. However, I don't care about pro soccer or the Olympics and barely care about the World Cup. It's just NOT a thing for the US by and large. Maybe one day but not sure that will be in my lifetime.

• Options

@perkdog said:

I had to google it. LOL

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't even realize we blew a chance to go to the olympics. SMH but it figures.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

USMNT????

• Options

@Hydrant said:
    USMNT????

At first glance, i thought it might be a coin thread as in US MINT. LOL

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@Hydrant said:
    USMNT????

At first glance, i thought it might be a coin thread as in US MINT. LOL

I thought the same thing.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my opinion, the men's soccer team is an embarrassment. They just don't have enough fire and determination inside of them. They also need coaches who will push them to become better. The whole program is a disgrace.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2021 8:30AM

I watched it during the hoop games. Our goal keeper made a gaffe of all gaffes. This is an under 23 tourney.

Our best players are on the National Team which played No Ireland in a friendly on Sunday. Some of those players are under 23. This includes Pulisic. just goes to show you the priorities. In soccer the Olympics is not a high priority. Qualifying and preparing for the World Cup is everything Yes it would be nice to qualify for both. The US did beat No Ireland 2-1. First win on European soil in years.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

as much as ESPN and other interests try, Soccer just holds no interest for Americans as a spectator sport. many enjoy it as a recreational activity, but I would be very surprised if I ever see soccer on TV become a big thing in the states.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2021 8:41AM

@perkdog said:

I'm thinking it is US Men's National Team.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2021 9:04AM

@craig44 said:
    as much as ESPN and other interests try, Soccer just holds no interest for Americans as a spectator sport. many enjoy it as a recreational activity, but I would be very surprised if I ever see soccer on TV become a big thing in the states.

That's just not true. Many Americans watch soccer. Fox Sports has a huge a contact across multiple leagues and factions. If no one was watching they wouldn't air the matches on any given weekend day matches are on Fox, FS1 or FS2. While it will never rival American Football, Basketball and Baseball soccer is a thing and will only get more popular. I watch " soccer" as much as any other sport. Never miss a minute of any World Cup matches. All counties. Every match

Fox American TV contract

FIFA

On October 22, 2011, FIFA awarded English-language rights to its tournaments to Fox from 2015 through 2022, including the 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cup, and the 2015 and 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup, replacing ESPN. In February 2015, the contract was extended to 2026.

CONCACAF
    Fox exclusively airing most of CONCACAF Clubs and Nations Championship until 2022, including Gold Cup, Champions League, and both Men's and Women's Olympic Qualifying tournament. Fox also airing the US matches in the Nations League, shared with ESPN as part of their MLS deal.

Fox airs weekly Major League Soccer (MLS) matches on Sunday afternoons and evenings. Rob Stone hosts in the studio alongside studio analysts Alexi Lalas and Maurice Edu. John Strong and Stuart Holden call the weekly game from site. (See Major League Soccer on television.)

Multiple Fox Sports Networks also hold rights to local MLS clubs.

USMNT/USWNT
    Through their MLS deal, Fox shares the right to USMNT and USWNT matches with ESPN. John Strong and Stuart Holden are the main USMNT commentators with studio coverage hosted by Rob Stone alongside analysts Alexi Lalas and Maurice Edu. USWNT commentators are JP Dellacamera with analyst Aly Wagner and studio coverage hosted by Rob Stone, Sara Walsh, or Jenny Taft with analysts Leslie Osborne, Heather O'Reilly and Alexi Lalas.

Liga MX

In May 2018, Fox Sports acquired the rights to Tijuana, Monterrey, and Santos home matches. These matches started airing across Fox Sports in late July 2018, with the exception of Santos matches which will begin in 2019. Matches are broadcast on FS1, FS2, and the Fox Sports regional networks in the Western U.S.

Canadian Premier League Edit
    In August 2020, Fox Sports became the first American broadcast partner of the Canadian Premier League.[3]

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2021 9:29AM

@doubledragon said:
    In my opinion, the men's soccer team is an embarrassment. They just don't have enough fire and determination inside of them. They also need coaches who will push them to become better. The whole program is a disgrace.

That was the under 23 team that lost yesterday. It wasn't the National Team. The National Team is actually playing very well. They won yesterday on European soil. The program did replace their coaches and it's a work in progress. Yes losing to Honduras sucked. Honduras has made the last 4 Olympics. Almost all of their players stayed to play in this tourney. Most of the American players are in Europe. The irony is that if the US would have qualified for the Olympics the players that were in Europe that are 23 and under could have played if they elected to. Many would still passed. It's just not that big of deal in men's soccer as most of the great players in the world are over 23.

m

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@doubledragon said:

That was the under 23 team that lost yesterday. It wasn't the National Team. The National Team is actually playing very well. They won yesterday on European soil. The program did replace their coaches and it's a work in progress. Yes losing to Honduras sucked. Honduras has made the last 4 Olympics. Almost all of their players stayed to play in this tourney. Most of the American players are in Europe. The irony is that if the US would have qualified for the Olympics the players that were in Europe that are 23 and under could have played if they elected to. Many would still passed. It's just not that big of deal in men's soccer.

m

I hope the national team does well. I know the women's team is thriving, I'm not sure, but I think they've won the last two World Cups.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@Justacommeman said:

@doubledragon said:

That was the under 23 team that lost yesterday. It wasn't the National Team. The National Team is actually playing very well. They won yesterday on European soil. The program did replace their coaches and it's a work in progress. Yes losing to Honduras sucked. Honduras has made the last 4 Olympics. Almost all of their players stayed to play in this tourney. Most of the American players are in Europe. The irony is that if the US would have qualified for the Olympics the players that were in Europe that are 23 and under could have played if they elected to. Many would still passed. It's just not that big of deal in men's soccer.

m

I hope the national team does well. I know the women's team is thriving, I'm not sure, but I think they've won the last two World Cups.

Yes. They won the last two and 4 of the 8 that have been played.

On a side note It would have been GREAT to qualify for Japan yesterday as it would have given these young players more global experience.

mark

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@craig44 said:

That's just not true. Many Americans watch soccer. Fox Sports has a huge a contact across multiple leagues and factions. If no one was watching they wouldn't air the matches on any given weekend day matches are on Fox, FS1 or FS2. While it will never rival American Football, Basketball and Baseball soccer is a thing and will only get more popular. I watch " soccer" as much as any other sport. Never miss a minute of any World Cup matches. All counties. Every match

Fox American TV contract

FIFA

On October 22, 2011, FIFA awarded English-language rights to its tournaments to Fox from 2015 through 2022, including the 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cup, and the 2015 and 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup, replacing ESPN. In February 2015, the contract was extended to 2026.

CONCACAF
    Fox exclusively airing most of CONCACAF Clubs and Nations Championship until 2022, including Gold Cup, Champions League, and both Men's and Women's Olympic Qualifying tournament. Fox also airing the US matches in the Nations League, shared with ESPN as part of their MLS deal.

Fox airs weekly Major League Soccer (MLS) matches on Sunday afternoons and evenings. Rob Stone hosts in the studio alongside studio analysts Alexi Lalas and Maurice Edu. John Strong and Stuart Holden call the weekly game from site. (See Major League Soccer on television.)

Multiple Fox Sports Networks also hold rights to local MLS clubs.

USMNT/USWNT
    Through their MLS deal, Fox shares the right to USMNT and USWNT matches with ESPN. John Strong and Stuart Holden are the main USMNT commentators with studio coverage hosted by Rob Stone alongside analysts Alexi Lalas and Maurice Edu. USWNT commentators are JP Dellacamera with analyst Aly Wagner and studio coverage hosted by Rob Stone, Sara Walsh, or Jenny Taft with analysts Leslie Osborne, Heather O'Reilly and Alexi Lalas.

Liga MX

In May 2018, Fox Sports acquired the rights to Tijuana, Monterrey, and Santos home matches. These matches started airing across Fox Sports in late July 2018, with the exception of Santos matches which will begin in 2019. Matches are broadcast on FS1, FS2, and the Fox Sports regional networks in the Western U.S.

Canadian Premier League Edit
    In August 2020, Fox Sports became the first American broadcast partner of the Canadian Premier League.[3]

people have been saying soccer will "just be getting more popular" since the 70's when Pele came over. it has not happened in the last 40 years. so Fox has a soccer package. most matches are played on their secondary channels, fs1 or 2. if it was a legitimate money maker, it would be front and center on Fox network on prime time. It is awfully similar to women college and wnba basketball. those have also been pushed down our throats. some people will go to watch it live. to see a live show, but they are not passionate enough about it to follow on TV.

If so many Americans were clamoring to watch soccer on tv, why don't abc, nbc, cbs, tnt, tbs all have major deals?

americans do watch the world cup to some degree. it has a similar following to the Olympics. it happens every 4 years, so it is an event. they also get the human interest stories/reports just like the Olympics. if the world cup was a yearly event like the super bowl, it would be television crickets.

it is great that you love soccer. it is a good sport by all accounts. but to continue the narrative that it will catch on soon here in the states and viewership will increase is disingenuous at best.

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Football is McDonald's.
    Baseball is Taco Bell.
    Hockey is Burger King.
    Soccer is Wendy's.

All four sports have a place in the American mainstream.

Soccer is HUGE in America. Most soccer fans can buy ESPN+ (like me) or simply watch on the Spanish stations.

The big networks come calling when it's World Cup time.

You are correct in stating that most non-Spanish Americans prefer other sports, as most high tv ratings in America
    happen when there are Spanish teams playing, especially Mexico.

If you research the most watched sporting events in 2018, Mexican world cup games beat the Daytona 500
    and the Elite 8 NCAA men's tournament games in viewership.

• Options

if it is so HUGE, why isnt it on NBC/CBS/ABC/FOX or ESPN during primetime? world cup is a different story, as I stated above, because it is only on every 4 years. it is an event like the Olympics and I am sure draws a viewership in a similar demographic.

you only find soccer on secondary cable channels, and it is only really big every 4 years. can you imagine if there was only a world series every 4th year?

HUGE is nfl football, NBA basketball, NCAA D1 football. those are huge year in and year out, not just every 4 years.

again, if the world cup was every year, viewership would dwindle.

• Options
    edited March 29, 2021 12:32PM

I'd say it's more than 'catching on'. Sitcoms, dramas, advertising is why it’s not on big 3 networks during prime time. You don’t get tv timeouts in soccer to cater to people’s nerve damage bipolar erectile dysfunction junk food advertising dollars. A majority of people have cut cable as well, where those networks do not thrive as much. Streaming numbers are big.

Just cause you don’t like it don’t discredit the popularity. We had a bar full of people watching Germany/Romania yesterday.

• Options
    edited March 29, 2021 1:25PM

And when was the last time we saw a Braves game on a big 3 network during prime time? Playoffs. Otherwise they’re on one of those lesser channels mentioned for years, minus some random chance due to a holiday or something. So, MLB is not a big deal here in the states as well by the channel logic.

• Options
    edited March 29, 2021 1:11PM

@craig44 said:
    if it is so HUGE, why isnt it on NBC/CBS/ABC/FOX or ESPN during primetime? world cup is a different story, as I stated above, because it is only on every 4 years. it is an event like the Olympics and I am sure draws a viewership in a similar demographic.

you only find soccer on secondary cable channels, and it is only really big every 4 years. can you imagine if there was only a world series every 4th year?

HUGE is nfl football, NBA basketball, NCAA D1 football. those are huge year in and year out, not just every 4 years.

again, if the world cup was every year, viewership would dwindle.

Easy. The European matches are played in all places Europe. There is a time difference. So that places the afternoon matches in the AM in the States. As far as yesterday's Honduras-USA match it was on in Prime Time on FS1 @ 6pm from Mexico. The US vs Northern Ireland was on FOX at noon EST and that was a FRIENDLY. ( exhibition. doesnt count). MLS matches are on during Prime Time. It purposely doesn't compete with US Football.

Any how just because you're not into it doesn't mean it's not happening. MLS games are complete sell outs. When there are important global matches US bars and pubs are packed in all major US cities and MSL soccer soccer cities. Matches are 2 hours and play is commercial free

m

• Options

Mark I have had every day on my work calendar blocked as out of office from 3-5pm to catch the evening Europe games for over a decade. Swat team events are the only exceptions.

• Options
    edited March 29, 2021 1:12PM

@DrBuster said:
    Mark I have had every day on my work calendar blocked as out of office from 3-5pm to catch the evening Europe games for over a decade. Swat team events are the only exceptions.

Ha! I hear you. I'm lucky as European afternoon matches are on in the AM here in LA. The evening matches late morning.

I haven't watched a single regular season MLB or NBA game in probably 7 years. I've watched literally thousands of soccer matches during that time. Two hours. No commercials during play. Boom. Done.

m

• Options

European fanatical interest in soccer goes deeper than all that. For well over two thousand years, Europeans had a nasty habit of trying to slaughter each other. The worst culminated in 1945.

Now instead of doing all that mass murder chit, Europeans learned to take out their raw emotions as soccer fans instead.

I think the soccer fan route is way better. :)

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

it is, after all, only Soccer.

• Options

@DrBuster said:
    I'd say it's more than 'catching on'. Sitcoms, dramas, advertising is why it’s not on big 3 networks during prime time. You don’t get tv timeouts in soccer to cater to people’s nerve damage bipolar erectile dysfunction junk food advertising dollars. A majority of people have cut cable as well, where those networks do not thrive as much. Streaming numbers are big.

Just cause you don’t like it don’t discredit the popularity. We had a bar full of people watching Germany/Romania yesterday.

They did not look great. For me their front line needs to be Sane, Muller, and Gnabry. Goretzka, Gundogan, and Kroos in midfield, and Sule, Kimmich, and two more in the back.

I know Kimmich is better than Kroos in midfield, but the defense is the weakest link, and Kimmich and Sule with Neuer would be very stable.

• Options

@Goldenage we had some adjustments to make for sure. I was actually more impressed with how RO with a young team wanted to play. You press Germany or have to be faster to rattle them. Romania looked hungry and their goalie was on fire. I was watching it with my RO buddies wearing my 2016 euro Muller Jersey, so we had heated conversation overs beers and cigars, ha!

• Options

Germany really needs Muller. He will work so much better with Sane and Gnabry than Werner or Havertz will.
    You can even play Muller in a Lewandowski role, but he is so good outside the box too.
    Sule is such a good stopper. He also is a great attacking defender. He can play on the right and dribble past the 2nd layer of defense because he is really skilled in that area. He is better than Kimmich at beating defenders one on one with the dribble. I say give him the freedom to attack the way Lahm had the freedom to attack. Let Rudiger stay back as Sule has great offensive talent. But Kimmich is such a great passer it is so hard to take him out of the midfield. He sets up so many goals for Germany and Bayern Munich. I am torn on what to do with Kimmich. But the defense needs so much help.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 11, 2021 1:46PM

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Playing is fine but too boring to watch , just like golf. I'd play it , but I won't where stupid looking pants and I will not watch it.

Some sports are great spectator events , the pace or the layout of where they are played is perfect for fans . Anything you can put 50,000 seats around easily should do great but the clock in soccer sucks , it runs while play is happening ? And it doesn't even help at all .

Soccer sucks , golf sucks, tennis sucks I enjoyed playing of them but I aint watching.

Don't get me started about cricket