Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Once cleaned, always cleaned ...

HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭✭✭

From time to time on these boards, in reference to a lightly cleaned coin, one hears a statement such as "carry it around as a pocket piece for a few years, and it will look natural and market acceptable"

I've accumulated a bit of empirical evidence over the past 15 years to suggest that this is not true -- or at least it's not as easy as it sounds!

Almost 20 years ago now, a few board members, especially @braddick and @pocketpiececommems, kindled my interest in circulated classical commemoratives. I've since assemble a set of about 35 coins, most in PCGS slabs, and many as part of my only registry set. In the course of acquiring these, I also acquired a few problem coins -- lightly cleaned or dipped circulated specimens -- not terrible coins, but a bit too messed with to slab. I've been carrying four of these around as pocket pieces off and on now for about 15 years! In total, I'd guess each has about 2 - 3 years of wear as a pocket piece. I unfortunately do not have "before" photos, but they have probably worn to the extent of one or two grade increments, for example, from VF35 to VF30/25. They've also had 15 years to tone -- a fair amount of time. In spite of this, all four coins retain a somewhat unnatural color, and would almost certainly be rejected as improperly cleaned. The coins are fun and I plan to keep carrying them around, but I've pretty much come to the conclusion in the title -- Once cleaned, always cleaned.

Here, by the way, is one of the group -- a Connecticut. Although it wouldn't slab, and the photos is a bit low resolution, give me your thoughts on grade if you'd like!

Higashiyama

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file