Home U.S. Coin Forum

1929 wheat penny error ( looking for info )

collectcurrency62collectcurrency62 Posts: 99 ✭✭
edited March 28, 2021 9:17AM in U.S. Coin Forum

My 14 year old son found this 1929 wheat penny coin rolling. He loves his new hobby. He'd like to know what would cause this to happen. He'd also like to ask you guys if there is any possible value above face value. He likes to keep the information in his log to show his friends hoping some of them will join him in his new hobby. Thanks for looking sincerely Chris (https://us.v-cdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/2z/wralz1r6byq2.jpg "")
I

Comments

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Something happened to that penny.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great lamination. Not sure if any significant value but certainly worth keeping.

• MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lamination error... and a nice one!

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes, lamination

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2021 10:41AM

The blank was defective and we call that type of error a lamination. Your's is cool and they come in all sorts of looks.
    bob :)
    I think you might get $10 on ebay perhaps.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lamination. Many collectors, myself included, dislike them.

All glory is fleeting.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

the coin stock was rolled out with a defect in it. the blank was punched with the defect. the coin was made with the defect. eventually the defective metal fell off.

it's called a lamination error.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Thanks gentlemen my son loves the coin. I'll be off to the bank Monday to get him two more boxes.

• MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep encouraging him; coin collectors are a dying breed. Purchase a few well-chosen books, learn about the minting process and learn how to tell the difference between an error and post mint damage. When roll hunting, you will quickly find out that there are a LOT more damaged coins than there are errors. But enough genuine ones show up to keep it interesting. Above all, do what I do... HAVE FUN!

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

@collectcurrency62 said:
    Thanks gentlemen my son loves the coin. I'll be off to the bank Monday to get him two more boxes.

Thank you for encouraging the "budding" collector. It'll keep him busy.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find... and good to see a YN roll hunting... Keep us posted on his finds and progress.... and be sure he has a Redbook. Cheers, RickO

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's more money ($100) but you might also want to consider a box of nickels on occasion.

He should find coins from the 1950s, 1940s, and maybe late 1930s. Occasionally there will be a buffalo nickel, and a silver war nickel.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file