Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Whose U.S. Coin Collection do you consider "the Best"?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 28, 2021 10:49AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Which U.S. Coin Collection to you consider the pinnacle of collecting?

A lot of great collectors have been mentioned on these forums:

1. Harry Wesley Bass Jr.
  2. Virgil Michael Brand
  3. Louis Edward Eliasberg, Sr.
  4. Thomas Harrison and John Work Garrett
  5. Colonel Edward Howland Robinson "Ned" Green
  6. Josiah Kirby "Joe" Lilly Jr.
  7. Eric Pfeiffer Newman
  8. Raymond Henry and Emery May Holden Norweb
  9. Lorin Gilbert Parmelee
  10. John Jay Pittman
  11. David Brent Pogue
  12. James A. Stack
  13. Matthew Adams Stickney
  14. Marvin Taichert

I'm leaving off living collectors to keep them out of the spotlight, but feel free to add them.

Comments

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of your list, I'd say Eliasberg but I'm not familiar with the entirety of all the others. The quality differences important in US collecting today aren't that important to me and this seems to be the #1 reason why his wouldn't be ranked first.

From what I know, Brand and Parmalee were more comprehensive after Eliasberg than the others but this might not be correct.

Also, are you including other than US Mint coinage? If so, my opinion might change. I've never heard that Eliasberg had close to a comprehensive collection in colonial or territorials while some of the others might have.

• Options
    edited March 28, 2021 6:54AM

My thought is to focus on U.S. Mint coins, not including colonials and territorials. I like those areas a lot but I think it would make the comparison less interesting. Of course, if any had collections in these areas, or others like tokens, medals, or even world, coins, it would be great to talk about, but not strictly necessary for the comparison. For example, Eliasberg also collected gold medals.

One reason for this is as I do provenance tracking for many stand out coins, Virgil Brand's name comes up a lot for the coins I'm tracking and interested in. When I first started this, I primarily knew of him as his reputation as a hoarder, but it also turns out that he had many exceptional coins. He also had an extensive token collection.

• Options
    edited March 28, 2021 7:05AM

@BustDMs said:
    Mine 😉

What name should I add to the list :)

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

Timely thread. A project of mine has been my intention to study these collectors, read any related books, auction catalogs, contemporary interviews and articles. It is the historian in me...

I would need to know more about the other participants, the strengths and weakness of their respective collections to make an informed decision.

I can make a strong case for Wilt Chamberlain being the greatest athlete of all time (weight lifting, track, volleyball, hoops), but he might only be the 5th pick in an all time mock NBA draft.

With my limited knowledge, the obvious choice is Eliasberg.

He spent $400K on his collection. Complete and bang per buck!

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2021 2:30PM

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eliasberg, fwiw

• Options
    edited March 28, 2021 7:21AM

@edwardjulio @johnny9434

What about their collections stands out to you?

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on personal preference, I would choose the collection of Marvin Taichert over any of those listed.

Higashiyama
  • Options

@Higashiyama said:
    Based on personal preference, I would choose the collection of Marvin Taichert over any of those listed.

What stands out about his collection to you and what are your personal preferences?

I added him to the list.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eliasberg has to be #1. He had substantial parts of everything.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2021 7:57AM

@BillJones said:
    Eliasberg has to be #1. He had substantial parts of everything.

The interesting thing about Eliasberg is that when I run across cool coins, more often than not, they were owned by Brand and not Eliasberg, so while both had a lot of coins, I still feel the need to run across more Eliasberg stand out coins.

Here are some Brand coins that Eliasberg didn't have:

That Brand and Eliasberg both owned the following coin is nice:

And of course, the following is an Eliasberg stand out:

• Options

With a relatively small number of (very beautiful, high character, but not necessarily top pop) coins, Taicher’s collection illustrated the history and remarkable range of US coins. The Stack’s catalogue for this sale was a work of art as well.

Higashiyama
  • Options

PS: here is a True View of the 1796 quarter from the Taichert collection (not mine, unfortunately):

It is illustrative of the coins he acquired.

Higashiyama
  • Options
    CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

I don't know alot about famous collectors, but I would have to say elisberg is most defiantly the top one, since he is the only one that actually completed a collection fully. Brand is cool since he had like 300k COINS!

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

You know, I'm a pretty big fan of provenance. It's a great way to tie history to your collection. But I don't think it's a competition.

Now that I got that off my chest, here's my opinion -

I think completeness is not nearly as important as quality. Therefore, from the OP's list, I would choose Garrett.

I think J.M. Clapp and his son should get a lot more credit for Eliasberg's collection than they do.

I think John Ford built a lot of the Norweb's collection for them.

When I think of Bass, I think of gold coins and, frankly, I don't know what else he had.

When I think of Virgil Brand, I think of a hoarder with a lot of money.

I think Pittman had a great collection, but he is just as widely recognized for his foreign coins as his US coins.

I think Eric Newman was a fantastic numismatist and scholar. I'm not overly impressed with the quality of his collection.

I'll stop there...

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm less impressed with "one of everything" collections and prefer the constraint and mindfulness required to build typesets so I'd pick Oliver's which would be very hard to top in quality.

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

Best can be arbitrary, but as a gold collector, I am a big fan of Harry Bass' collection and his detail early gold research. I like Ed Trompeter's efforts also, especially his Ultra High Relief and & the unique Amazonian gold set.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

fwiw, here is an EXTENSIVE list for auction archives from the NNP. major inspiration can be gleaned from this list. i perused it for a bit.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    My thought is to focus on U.S. Mint coins, not including colonials and territorials. I like those areas a lot but I think it would make the comparison less interesting. Of course, if any had collections in these areas, or others like tokens, medals, or even world, coins, it would be great to talk about, but not strictly necessary for the comparison. For example, Eliasberg also collected gold medals.

It's my inference that most US collectors still consider colonials and territorials "US" coins because both are in the Red Book. Same for the 1861 CSA half dollar though it's a specific coin and Hawaii. Totally different than comparing to tokens, medals and world coinage, though there are some colonials in the Red Book which weren't struck geographically in what is now the US.

Whoever has done it, it's more of an accomplishment to have a (mostly) complete set of both and one of the best most comprehensive collections of US federal coinage than just the latter. Only a very low proportion of US federal coinage is actually hard to buy.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yspsales said:
    Timely thread. A project of mine has been my intention to study these collectors, read any related books, auction catalogs, contemporary interviews and articles. It is the historian in me...

I would need to know more about the other participants, the strengths and weakness of their respective collections to make an informed decision.

I can make a strong case for Wilt Chamberlain being the greatest athlete of all time (weight lifting, track, volleyball, hoops), but he might only be the 5th pick in an all time mock NBA draft.

OT But a case could be made that Jim Brown is both the best football player of all time as well as the best lacrosse player of all time. Since you Chamberlain wouldn't be number one in any sport if you have him 5th in basketball, Brown would seem a more likely "greatest athlete".

• Options

@1peter1223 said:
    Eliasberg .
    Only person to complete a set of U.S. coins by date and mint mark .
    Many coins ( including key dates and uber rarities ) were top pop as well .
    Highly unlikely to be done again .
    That really put him in a league of his own .

And yet Pittman had U.S. coins that Eliasberg lacked...

• Options

Personally, I think Eliasberg is over-rated. He completed Green's "checklist" but that leaves a lot of things out. Look at some of the Newman colonial material, for example.

I'm not saying Eliasberg didn't have a great collection. He should definitely be on that list. But, for example, the Pogue catalogs had my jaw dropping in a way that the Eliasberg catalogs didn't.

And Virgil Brand might simply have been a little too long ago for people to really appreciate how jaw dropping a modern full color catalog of his collection would have been.

So, you'd really have to decide on what "Best" refers to. If absolute rarity matters, it might not be Eliasberg. If top pop matters, it probably isn't Eliasberg.

And, frankly, if you want to consider contribution to numismatics, it could very well be Newman who contributed in so many ways for roughly 8 decades. [And who, by the way, briefly co-owned all five 1913 Liberty nickels which he got from Colonel Green who owned all five.]

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@yspsales said:

OT But a case could be made that Jim Brown is both the best football player of all time as well as the best lacrosse player of all time. Since you Chamberlain wouldn't be number one in any sport if you have him 5th in basketball, Brown would seem a more likely "greatest athlete".

Wilt was a track star when he was young in addition to being a great basketball player.

• Options
    edited March 28, 2021 12:14PM

@MidLifeCrisis said:
    You know, I'm a pretty big fan of provenance. It's a great way to tie history to your collection. But I don't think it's a competition.

Certainly not a competition which is why all the people on the list have passed on.

People do indicate which provenances they value above others so this is a thread for that.

Of course, comparing living collectors could be interesting too, but we've already seen some of this on these forums.

Now that I got that off my chest, here's my opinion -

I think completeness is not nearly as important as quality. Therefore, from the OP's list, I would choose Garrett.

Good choice. Thanks. I still need to run across more Harrison Garrett coins. I do like that he also had a focus on medals and So-Called Dollars. I have one of his So-Called Dollars.

The other thing about the Garrets is that Harrison's son John Work Garret added some significant coins to the collection as well.

I think J.M. Clapp and his son should get a lot more credit for Eliasberg's collection than they do.

How many of Eliasberg's coins can be traced to Clapp? For example, do we know if Brand's 1822 HE owned by Clapp?

I think John Ford built a lot of the Norweb's collection for them.

Many collectors have dealers they work with. The difference may be if the dealer was doing the buy decisions for them. Was that happening here?

When I think of Bass, I think of gold coins and, frankly, I don't know what else he had.

He also had patterns. The people that value his collection seem to be ones with a similar focus.

When I think of Virgil Brand, I think of a hoarder with a lot of money.

I think that's the reputation he's gotten over time, but it's a bit unfortunate. Doug Winter indicates Virgil had detailed notebooks and was an astute collector of coins. I wonder how many of us keep notebooks of our coins.

I think Pittman had a great collection, but he is just as widely recognized for his foreign coins as his US coins.

True, but having non-US coins shouldn't preclude him from being in a U.S. coins list.

I think Eric Newman was a fantastic numismatist and scholar. I'm not overly impressed with the quality of his collection.

I've seen some of this too.

• Options
    edited March 28, 2021 11:04AM

@1peter1223 said:
    Harry Bass gold coin collection was only missing the 1822 $5 and he had a lot of the varieties .

Great info. Did he ever have an opportunity to pick one up?

It would be interesting to know if there was an opportunity that he passed on.

• Options
    edited March 28, 2021 11:17AM

@HashTag said:

@Zoins said:

One reason for this is as I do provenance tracking for many stand out coins, Virgil Brand's name comes up a lot for the coins I'm tracking and interested in. When I first started this, I primarily knew of him as his reputation as a hoarder, but it also turns out that he had many exceptional coins. He also had an extensive token collection.

I’d say you’re the pinnacle of U.S. coin collectors sir (yea so I changed the words around, sue me). Especially since I’m guessing the next give away is one of Elisaberg-Zion gold medals you own. Thank you, you’re such a stand up guy.

I'm nowhere near the pinnacle though we do have some forum members who are.

And sadly there are no Eliasberg gold medal in the Zoins collection so that give away cannot happen, at least not yet.

I just like to research coins :)

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eliasberg. Completeness, especially considering the unique coins (1873-CC NA dime, 1822 half eagle, 1870-S $3 gold). I don't think anyone today could put together even two of these three rarities.

And, as far as greatest athlete, Jim Thorpe gets my vote. He excelled in more sports than anyone else I can think of.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    edited March 28, 2021 2:02PM

@RichieURich said:
    Eliasberg. Completeness, especially considering the unique coins (1873-CC NA dime, 1822 half eagle, 1870-S $3 gold). I don't think anyone today could put together even two of these three rarities.

I'm guessing it could possibly be done with enough funds and time.

This type of collecting is what makes Stuart Weitzman's collection so excting.

Here's some info on these coins:

1. 1822 HE: Brand-Eliasberg coin sold earlier this year and posted above
    2. 1870-S G$3: Harry W. Bass Collection - this is a harder one
    3. 1873-CC NA dime: Newcomer-Eliasberg coin last sold in 2012
    4. 1933-DE: Farouk-Weitzman coin to be sold later this year

1873-CC No Arrows Dime - PCGS MS65 POP 0/1/0 - Ex. Randall, Newcomer, Eliasberg

Here's the 1873-CC NA dime.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2021 1:35PM

Top three for Walkers were IMHO:

1. Gerry Forsythe
    2. Eric Lane (Cajun Collection)
    3. Steve Duckor

Back in the day, Bob Moreno had a pretty amazing set ATS at NGC.

Members Breakdown and JBN also have owned some world-class sets.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always admired Pittman's coins and passion; Ed Trompeter for proof gold; And current collectors---the type set from Oliver Jung; Hansen and the Tyrant's US coins are breathtaking

• Options
    edited November 30, 2021 11:21AM

@MidLifeCrisis said:

@Gazes said:
    Always admired Pittman's coins and passion

1884 Toronto Semi-Centennial - Matte Gilt - PCGS SP67 POP 0/1/0 - Ex. John Jay Pittman; Jack Tu

In a nod to Pittman's non-US pieces, here's a presumed unique Pittman medal I have.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny9434 said:
    Eliasberg, fwiw

Yes. The Great Eliasberg.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2021 6:16AM

Has PCGS done a comparison via the registry set?

Or possibly, has the ANA weighed in?

What is the extent of their archives?

Contemporary opinion, diaries, interviews, etc... could shed some light on the topic.

Wilt beat Brown in two impromptu foot races... FWIW

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    In4apennyIn4apenny Posts: 298 ✭✭✭

The IRS......

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

I try not to get too caught up in labels and rankings of collections. The collections that I think of first when people ask for a historically significant provenance are:

Bass
    Eliasberg
    Garrett
    Green
    Norweb
    Pittman
    Pogue

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file