1970-muhammad ali
    1980- magic johnson
    1990-jordan
    2000- kobe
    2010- brady

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I must confess, the list above is a scam, a lie, a fraud! This is my actual list:

1950s - Tom Brady
    1960s - Tom Brady
    1970s - Tom Brady
    1980s - Tom Brady
    1990s - Tom Brady
    2000s - Tom Brady
    2010s - Tom Brady

Tom Brady wasn't born until 1977. So how was it possible for him to be the greatest athlete in the 50's and 60's?

Some may say it wouldn't be possible in the 70's either. But i could envision Brady throwing touchdown passes at two years old in some sort of very pee-wee football league.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

1970's - Bruce Jenner, now known as Caitlyn.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2021 4:00PM
     My list

1950s - Rocky Marciano
    1960s - Rod Laver
    1970s - Bjorn Borg
    1980s - Wayne Gretzky
    1990s - Pete Sampras
    2000s - Roger Federer
    2010s - Lebron James

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

1950s - Minnie Minoso
    1960s - Bill Mazeroski
    1970s - Gene Tenace
    1980s - Ken Anderson
    1990s - Craig Biggio
    2000s - Sergei Zubov
    2010s - Jordan Spieth

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dallasactuary said:
    1950s - Minnie Minoso
    1960s - Bill Mazeroski
    1970s - Gene Tenace
    1980s - Ken Anderson
    1990s - Craig Biggio
    2000s - Sergei Zubov
    2010s - Jordan Spieth

Couldn't squeeze Santo in could ya?

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

1950s: Mickey Mantle
    1960: Jim Brown
    1970: Bruce Jenner
    1980: Wayne Gretzky
    1990: Michael Jordan
    2000: Tom Brady
    2010: Tom Brady

• Options

@dallasactuary said:
    1950s - Minnie Minoso
    1960s - Bill Mazeroski
    1970s - Gene Tenace
    1980s - Ken Anderson
    1990s - Craig Biggio
    2000s - Sergei Zubov
    2010s - Jordan Spieth

Yes, Bill Mazeroski in one at bat for a few seconds was the greatest athlete during those few seconds of that decade. 😉

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

Couldn't squeeze Santo in could ya?

As Athlete of the Century, Santo is not eligible for all-decade honors.

• Options
    edited March 27, 2021 6:01PM

1950's Mantle
    1960's Ali
    1970's Nicklaus
    1980's Gretzky
    1990's Jordan
    2000's Woods
    2010's James or Brady. I'm undecided.

I guess one could switch Ali and Nicklaus in either the 60's or 70's I suppose . Wanted to get them both in

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

So many good choices. It is easy to give the benefit of the doubt to our favorite when it is close.
    1950s Mantle
    1960s Brown
    1970s Nicklaus
    1980s Gretzky
    1990s Jordan
    2000s Woods
    2010s James
    2020s Brady (Honorable mention)

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would be reluctant to put any golfer at the top of the list of greatest athletes.
    When the greatest physical athletic accomplishment you can do during the course of competing
    in your chosen sport is walk at a brisk pace, then I'm sorry but you're not the greatest
    athlete of your decade.
    As an example, Jack Nicklaus vs. Dave Winfield in the 1970's.
    Jack Nicklaus would be better at golf than Winfield.
    Dave Winfield would be better at baseball, football, basketball, boxing, all track and field events,
    tennis, water polo, lacrosse, badminton, speed skating, dodgeball, mountain biking, Alpine skiing,
    Racquetball, beach volleyball, Taekwondo, hockey, bull riding, Greco Roman wrestling, rowing,
    fencing, handball, and ultimate frisbee than Nicklaus.
    So comparing golfers to legitimate all around athletes simply doesn't compute.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    I would be reluctant to put any golfer at the top of the list of greatest athletes.
    When the greatest physical athletic accomplishment you can do during the course of competing
    in your chosen sport is walk at a brisk pace, then I'm sorry but you're not the greatest
    athlete of your decade.
    Dave Winfield would be better at baseball, football, basketball, boxing, all track and field events,
    tennis, water polo, lacrosse, badminton, speed skating, dodgeball, mountain biking, Alpine skiing,
    Racquetball, beach volleyball, Taekwondo, hockey, bull riding, Greco Roman wrestling, rowing,

I agree. Putting tiger is the best of the decade is tough but damn if he is not an icon

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    athlete of your decade.

In my opinion, you cannot disparage one sport like this while comparing it to another in this type of conversation. If you do, the whole thing just goes off the rails. Again, just my opinion.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2021 12:08AM

@Darin said:
    athlete of your decade.

I love bowling, but they're not athletes.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

mantle
    jim brown
    Ali
    Gretzky
    Jordan
    Brady
    Brady

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@Darin said:
    athlete of your decade.

In my opinion, you cannot disparage one sport like this while comparing it to another in this type of conversation. If you do, the whole thing just goes off the rails. Again, just my opinion.

Thisistheshow- I'm not disparaging golf, its a great sport more people should play it.
    Great exercise especially if you walk the course and don't use a cart.
    But I don't retract what I said, the title of the thread is 'greatest athlete' and there is no way
    Nicklaus can compare to Winfield as an athlete.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options

If golf is being considered by some, shouldn't chess and perhaps even checkers be considered? I mean moving the pieces around the board and placing them in the right spot, does require a certain amount of athletic dexterity.

Even poker could be considered. The physical challenge of picking up the dealt cards a number of times throughout a session, and the physical requirement of grabbing a handful of chips and throwing them into the proper betting area on the table when you've got pocket aces, requires both athletic skill and mental concentration.

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

I like this list, except I would substitute Secretariat for Bruce Jenner.

• Options

@Goldenage said:

@Tabe said:

Little known story that Bruce Jenner actually wanted to be transformed into a horse, but the doctors told him it wasn't possible, so he chose something else.

• Options

@stevek said:

@Goldenage said:

@Tabe said:

Little known story that Bruce Jenner actually wanted to be transformed into a horse, but the doctors told him it wasn't possible, so he chose something else.

You sure you’re not confusing this with the little known story about Kylie and a horse ? She loves horses.

• Options

• Options

@Goldenage said:

@stevek said:

@Goldenage said:

@Tabe said:

You sure you’re not confusing this with the little known story about Kylie and a horse ? She loves horses.

@Goldenage said:

@stevek said:

@Goldenage said:

@Tabe said:

I don't follow the personal lives of any of them. For example the Kardashians, i might be the only one on this planet who has never watched one of their shows. It just never interested me.

One time as a kid, I'm out in LA with the fam, and my rich uncle is a member of the Friars Club. He invited us to breakfast there, and in the large room were all sorts of movie stars and comedians, just enjoying breakfast. Finest breakfast all ya can eat spread i ever saw. Well, while my family was idolizing all the celebrities, i was chowing down and focused on the next plate of delicious food i was going to devour. LOL

• Options
    edited April 11, 2021 1:49PM

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dallasactuary said:
    1950s - Minnie Minoso
    1960s - Bill Mazeroski
    1970s - Gene Tenace
    1980s - Ken Anderson
    1990s - Craig Biggio
    2000s - Sergei Zubov
    2010s - Jordan Spieth

maybe the best post ever. that astute answer for the 2010s may or may not have something to do with it. B)

btw i don't know if you caught wind of this dallas, but last week it came to light that Jordan broke a bone in his hand back in early 2018. no excuses for 3 dark years, he just tried to fight thru it after it (not surprisingly) altered his swing. now he is showing signs of emerging from the abyss............watch out for him starting in 9 days.

his chosen method of addressing that adversity (keeping it under wraps and not complaining) just cements why he is my favorite

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldenage said:

Ok, who is this?

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    btw i don't know if you caught wind of this dallas, but last week it came to light that Jordan broke a bone in his hand back in early 2018. no excuses for 3 dark years, he just tried to fight thru it after it (not surprisingly) altered his swing. now he is showing signs of emerging from the abyss............watch out for him starting in 9 days.

I did see that and I had two thoughts. First, I wanted to strangle him; just get the damn hand fixed you idiot! Second, while he has certainly gotten better this year, the broken hand was only one of his problems. Spieth, for the recent past, has been the single worst golfer on tour on Sundays. I don't buy the hand excuse affecting his play on weekends but not on weekdays. Also, while I don't have the stats to back it up, if Spieth isn't the worst golfer on tour for putts of six feet or less, he's got to be close. Does a broken hand make it hard to putt from 5 feet away, but not from 25 feet (where Spieth remains one of the very best)?

I'm glad the hand problem seems to be fixed or at least improving, but Spieth also has a choke problem, and I'm still waiting to see that one get any better. And just for context, I'm a Spieth fan, and I watch every tournament he's in and root for him. The missed gimme putts (like on 16 just this past weekend against Kuchar) and the weekend meltdowns are making it harder and harder to watch him, though.

• Options
    edited March 30, 2021 5:37PM

@perkdog said:

@Goldenage said:

Ok, who is this?

Secretariat?

m

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@perkdog said:

@Goldenage said:

Ok, who is this?

Secretariat?

m

Maybe but I was asking about the Woman 🤷‍♂️😂

• Options
    edited March 30, 2021 5:59PM

Oh. I didn't notice >:)

I think that's Kylie Jenner. Not positive. If my wife was home I would ask her. Then again she would ask why I was asking. She might not believe it was a Sports Forum related question. No way am I asking

m

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

1970: Secretariat
    2010: Lebron

• Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭✭

@dallasactuary said:
    1950s - Minnie Minoso
    1960s - Bill Mazeroski
    1970s - Gene Tenace
    1980s - Ken Anderson
    1990s - Craig Biggio
    2000s - Sergei Zubov
    2010s - Jordan Spieth

Love it.

• Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2021 1:03PM

1950s Jim Brown
    1960s Wilt Chamberlain
    1970s Dave Winfield
    1980s Bo Jackson
    1990s Michael Jordan
    2000s Tom Brady
    2010s Lebron James

PS I'm taking personal liberty and adding the 1940's because ultra all around athlete Jackie Robinson belongs on the list.

• Options
    edited April 11, 2021 1:26PM

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:

now he is showing signs of emerging from the abyss

scoop there it is

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    If golf is being considered by some, shouldn't chess and perhaps even checkers be considered? I mean moving the pieces around the board and placing them in the right spot, does require a certain amount of athletic dexterity.

Even poker could be considered. The physical challenge of picking up the dealt cards a number of times throughout a session, and the physical requirement of grabbing a handful of chips and throwing them into the proper betting area on the table when you've got pocket aces, requires both athletic skill and mental concentration.

Let's not forget tiddlywinks.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:
    I must confess, the list above is a scam, a lie, a fraud! This is my actual list:

1950s - Tom Brady
    1960s - Tom Brady
    1970s - Tom Brady
    1980s - Tom Brady
    1990s - Tom Brady
    2000s - Tom Brady
    2010s - Tom Brady

Tom Brady wasn't born until 1977. So how was it possible for him to be the greatest athlete in the 50's and 60's?

Some may say it wouldn't be possible in the 70's either. But i could envision Brady throwing touchdown passes at two years old in some sort of very pee-wee football league.

Oh, I beg to differ. Tom Brady is a lot older than you might think, in fact, those of us who know the hidden truth about Tom Brady might say, he's ancient.

TWICE

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@dallasactuary said:
    I'm glad the hand problem seems to be fixed or at least improving, but Spieth also has a choke problem, and I'm still waiting to see that one get any better. And just for context, I'm a Spieth fan, and I watch every tournament he's in and root for him. The missed gimme putts (like on 16 just this past weekend against Kuchar) and the weekend meltdowns are making it harder and harder to watch him, though.

Apparently what Spieth needed was for me to bitch about him in a public forum. No missed gimme putts, not weekend meltdown, and his first win since 2017. Way to go, Jordan, and on to the Masters!

• Options

50s - Mickey Mantle
    60s - Muhammad Ali
    70s - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    80s - Wayne Gretzky
    90s - Michael Jordan
    00s - Cristiano Ronaldo
    10s - Floyd Mayweather

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

So looks like everyone agrees with me.

I win!

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

1950's Willie Mays
    1960's (tie) Jim Brown, Muhammed Ali, Wilt Chamberlain
    1970's OJ Simpson
    1980's Jerry Rice/Wayne Gretzky
    1990's Michael Jordan
    2000's Tom Brady
    2010's Lebron James