Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

ANACS type 1 photo certificate values.

relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have only seen 2 of these in the last 15 years. One of them I own, and there is currently one on EBAY now. The coin with it is a $300 coin and the seller is asking $3500 because of the type 1 cert. It will be interesting to see what it actually brings.

Here is my example.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen them years ago at coin shows... but not terribly common. That being said, the price is - IMO - ludicrous. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I first saw the title I thought that this is a question relicsncoins could answer. Then I noticed who posted it.

Maybe there is some else who knows if any have sold recently.

There is lots of info in the following thread by @86Saab along with others who might know such as @bob48 . Not sure if you already have seen this or not.

ANACS Slab by Generation Info

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1019761/anacs-slab-by-generation-info/p1

There is a link in the first post that shows another Type 1.

ANACS Generations ONLY

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1Y_6cj6X2v_ZbO4NrqlRLysVeJO1IgoqnAA51ErVhLf8/edit?usp=sharing

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

While the coins with these certificates have sold for a small premium, that asking price is just nuts.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    86Saab86Saab Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

While I agree the price is likely way too high, the Type 1 certs are probably as rare a PCGS Gen 1.0 White label rattler possibly even a Gen 1.0 NGC black holder. I would argue that paying $3612 for a spotted Franklin half in a PCGS 1.0 slab is equally as nuts. Maybe that's just me...

Also I'm personally only aware of 4 existing (1 being @relicsncoins) and the other 3 were in the collection of one owner who originally sent them in to ANACS. I'd be curious to know if anyone else knows of any others.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,631 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks! I needed a good laugh!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

Which years were you grading for them? I read somewhere that Charlie Hoskins only had one employee when he founded ANACS in 72.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,631 ✭✭✭✭✭

@relicsncoins said:

@CaptHenway said:

Which years were you grading for them? I read somewhere that Charlie Hoskins only had one employee when he founded ANACS in 72.

ANACS started in 1972 with just Hoskins and an office staffer. Skip Fazzari joined in early 1973. John Hunter joined later. Only Hunter moved with the service in 1976 and was joined in Colorado Springs by Ed Fleischman. I joined in late 1978.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@86Saab said:
    While I agree the price is likely way too high, the Type 1 certs are probably as rare a PCGS Gen 1.0 White label rattler possibly even a Gen 1.0 NGC black holder. I would argue that paying $3612 for a spotted Franklin half in a PCGS 1.0 slab is equally as nuts. Maybe that's just me...

Also I'm personally only aware of 4 existing (1 being @relicsncoins) and the other 3 were in the collection of one owner who originally sent them in to ANACS. I'd be curious to know if anyone else knows of any others.

I have two, one of which has been trimmed.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

They bring what the market will bear. If offered to me they would bring nothing.

All glory is fleeting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file