Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1979 Topps Rocky II #1 Meet "Rocky" Sylvester Stallone Rookie Card

Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just over two months ago I purchased a set of the 1979 Topps Rocky II as an experiment to see what the cards looked like. I could tell right away that centering was going to be a huge issue. I checked the pop report and saw the best card in the set which is Sylvester Stallone's Rookie Card was a Pop 7 in a PSA 9 with no 10's. I knew I needed to track one down as soon as possible.

I focus on Pop Culture for my collection and this is going to be a very important card.

Topps has produced several follow up sets and also Allen and Ginter copies with signed chase cards. They also feature buyback cards from this set that are signed and did a 40th anniversary set in 2016 to commemorate the original Rocky movie using the same design.

There are 99 cards in the set and 22 stickers. There is great imagery from the movie and some excellent action shots.

This a tremendous addition to my collection and a beautiful copy.

Comments

• DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2021 4:59PM

Love those lates 70s early 80s movie and tv show cards. Fond memories. If you want that signed one day let me know— would look great with a sig across the middle left area.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is one on eBay at a huge price.

It looks phenomenal.

You have access to Stallone?

@DM23HOF said:
    I wrote the last Rambo film with him. Great guy and friend.

Now that I am all into signed vintage, every card I look at I think how cool it would look signed and where the signature should ideally go for eye appeal LOL.

WOW

That is super cool.

Thx, D.

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

love that card. the stickers are just as tough!

• AvardanAvardan Posts: 22 ✭✭

@DM23HOF said:

Now that I am all into signed vintage baseball cards, every card I look at I think how cool it would look signed and where the signature should ideally go for eye appeal LOL.

I absolutely LOVED that movie! Very well-written and produced. Sly is awesome. That's a helluva card!!! <3

Collecting...
    1978 Topps Baseball autograph set
    1952 Topps Baseball raw

@DM23HOF said:

Now that I am all into signed vintage baseball cards, every card I look at I think how cool it would look signed and where the signature should ideally go for eye appeal LOL.

i knew what ya did from our brief convos on topic, but i didn't know you were on that one matty! that's awesome!

Thanks Avardan and Blurry. It was definitely awesome, surreal, and humbling to work on a character I grew up loving so much as a kid. I’m born in ‘76 so Rambo was right in the heart of childhood.

@DM23HOF said:
    Thanks Avardan and Blurry. It was definitely awesome, surreal, and humbling to work on a character I grew up loving so much as a kid. I’m born in ‘76 so Rambo was right in the heart of childhood.

I am so happy you shared this. It sounds so exciting to pursue your passion and get to work with someone you really looked up to. Love it.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

You know, Rocky is based on Chuck Wepner who fought Ali. Sylvester Stallone watched the Ali vs Wepner fight, and before the fight happened, Wepner said all he wanted to do was go the distance with Ali. Well, Stallone saw how much heart Wepner showed in that fight, and based the character of Rocky Balboa on Wepner. If you'll notice in the original Rocky movie, Rocky says all he wants to do is go the distance with Apollo Creed. A lot of similarities also, Apollo Creed is just like Ali, talking trash and cocky. ESPN made a documentary about the whole story.

https://youtu.be/h3EksOFtILs

So was Rocky 3 based on this event?

• thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

Is there a set for The Godfather or Scarface?

Found these on EBay.

@Dpeck100 said:

According to Chuck Wepner, the famous Rocky 3 Thunderlips matched is definitely based on his match with Andre the Giant. I'm not sure what Stallone says, but according to Wepner is 100% based on his match with Andre. Very fascinating story!

• KNAPPKNAPP Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

the KNAPP collection - specializing in boxing and wrestling
    Always looking to buy or trade for Andre the Giant autographs
    psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/famous-personage/andre-giant-master-set/alltimeset/180400

• eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2021 7:56PM

Great card Dave. I always liked the sticker but this great.

Also very cool story about working with Stallone. Rocky and Rambo movies were a huge part of my childhood. Rocky IV is still probably my favorite movie. I’m starting to get into watches. I might be interested in getting a Panerai signed ... 2 collecting worlds collide, rival nations...

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

First Blood is one of or is my all time favorite movie. I still have my survival knife that I got as a kid.

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable

all things pop culture is an extremely smart move now.

more non-sports fans out there than sports fans.

less overall product of the obscure stuff.

• kingnascarkingnascar Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

Any time I'm flipping through channels and any of the Rocky movies show up on the channel guide, I immediately select it and watch it. I love those movies. Hell, I even named my mountain bike "Rocky"

Someone snagged the PSA 10 sticker for $1,300.

• coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 963 ✭✭✭✭

I just rewatched Rocky movie a few days ago...always a good movie.

I also like the old hulk TV show which I know has cards too.

• AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention.
    I'd like to pick up one of these Rocky cards to sock away. Is there an avenue besides ebay to find one, in your estimation?

thanks!
    John

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS

@Ahmanfan said:
    @Dpeck100 Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention.
    I'd like to pick up one of these Rocky cards to sock away. Is there an avenue besides ebay to find one, in your estimation?

thanks!
    John

I would bet you can do a Google search and probably find them somewhere on the web. There are not many graded so perhaps in the coming months more will make their way to PSA. It doesn't appear to be a rare set but I would imagine the print run in 1979 of this vs. baseball is dramatically lower. It is a cool card so I am sure you will be happy with it once you track one down. Good luck.

• BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭

I've clearly been living under a rock as I had no idea these were bringing the kind of numbers that I just saw with completed sales.

Have a partial set that was from those old Fun Pack bags back in the day. Been through at least 8 moves since the 80's and surprised what I have aren't completely trashed. Looks like #1 took a hit at some point over the years.

@Barfvader

Nice to see you post! Hope you are well.

• BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks. Hanging in there Dpeck. Hope all is well in your neck of the world as well.

• mrburns443mrburns443 Posts: 203 ✭✭✭✭

This thread is making me go through my miscellaneous 70’s sets. Have the Rocky set, how about a Rosa Parks rookie, 78 Taystee superheroes stickers. Great stuff

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2021 11:56AM

Why is this card considered his rookie - wouldn’t the 90% of the cards in the set that show Rocky on them all be rookies? Is it because it is card #1? Is it because it is titled “Meet Rocky”? If the “Meet Rocky” card was card #10 and a card called “Rocky Trains” was Card #1 which would be considered the rookie? Curious what separates this card from the remainder of the set and what is the standard criteria for determining.

It says meet Rocky and is the first card making it clearly the introductory card. It’s a profile shot as well.

I collect the 1985 Topps WWF wrestling and the #1 Hogan is the card to own from the set. He is featured on many. Same with the sticker set. Sticker #1.

It’s pretty obvious if you ask me.

@Dpeck100 said:
    It says meet Rocky and is the first card making it clearly the introductory card. It’s a profile shot as well.

I collect the 1985 Topps WWF wrestling and the #1 Hogan is the card to own from the set. He is featured on many. Same with the sticker set. Sticker #1.

It’s pretty obvious if you ask me.

agreed. but his stickball sticker rookie that made the rest: 😉

a recent pick up thanks to this thread.

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2021 2:53PM

Thanks for the answer dpeck. In non-sports I had always heard certain cards from a set called "key cards" but not "rookie" cards. Guess as time has passed this has changed. Key cards were determined by collector demand or scarcity.

Since baseball is in my wheelhouse the 1959 Ted Williams set obviously could not have a rookie card but is similar in that all cards feature Ted Williams. The keys are "Ted Signs for 1959" (as it was scarcer), "Ted's Idol" which had Babe Ruth, the first card, the last card and "Ted's All Star Record" which is a profile card similar to the card in this thread.

From your answer - it seems that the profile or #1 could be argued but in a case where it is both - then it is considered a rookie card. The Hogan you mention would be what I have always thought of as a "key" card since his rookie is in an earlier set.

• rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

You need to get the Paulie rc. It is the real sleeper in the set

Looking for FB HOF Rookies

Rookie card. Key card. Most valuable card. Best card. Take your pick. The market will treat this as the one to own. That’s my take.

edited March 25, 2021 4:56PM

@Dpeck100 said:
    Rookie card. Key card. Most valuable card. Best card. Take your pick. The market will treat this as the one to own. That’s my take.

in this case, this is most likely true. there are outliers like the #55 gilligans island castaways card that typically sells for more than card #1. you also have to keep an eye out for if the set has a sticker set. a lot of times the sticker set card #1 or key card can trump the regular set cards. usually more condition sensitive but most times they are simply better looking.

think the rocky sticker #1 is a horizontal and not as cool of a pic, imo.

would def stick w the regular set card here.

Rocky is my all-time favorite movie series. One of the reasons I got into following and studying boxing was the Rocky movies. Boxing is a sport that takes a lot of heart and a lot of digging down deep inside yourself to see what you're really made of, and the Rocky movies did a great job of showing that side of boxing. Great card Dpeck!

i just cant believe rocky dennis never had his own card. especially since he was a collector!

different genre, but that movie rocked, imo.

over the top arm wrestling set? bull hurley.

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:
    i just cant believe rocky dennis never had his own card. especially since he was a collector!

different genre, but that movie rocked, imo.

over the top arm wrestling set? bull hurley.

MASK was very good; poignant too.

The Party and Kitty and Stud’s has no cards either? Unreal!

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol crazy times. Wish I would've invested in some Dukes of Hazzard boxes.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• PorkinsPorkins Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

Always love your threads, since they oftentimes turn my attention to something I knew little to nothing about, but am intrigued by as a kid of the 80’s.

Awesome card, congrats on the pickup!

edited March 31, 2021 6:53AM

Good movie for sure

• mrburns443mrburns443 Posts: 203 ✭✭✭✭

Here’s another one from that era. Robin Williams from 1978 Topps Mork and Mindy.

• rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:

Was this the first UFC fight?

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Always loved rocky and great to see some his cards...this is a buy the grade not the card. Maybe I’m being to harsh but this shud be an 8...I notice a fish eye and is that the fly that was on mike pence now on rockys hat 😊 That flaw u can’t undo it once you notice it very noticeable

• AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭

After hoping to find some of these cards, low and behold I stumbled across a nonsport card selling gentleman over the weekend locally and was able to buy #1 x2, and 1 near set, missing just a handful of cards.
    Such fortunate timing as I would not have known to look for these otherwise!

I was wondering if anyone has mid to higher grade doubles/extras of the following cards I need to complete this set:

If anyone is curious I attached a scan of the #1's I picked up. They are OC but otherwise not bad, EX range. Sticker is fairly nice.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • 82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Danstone said:
    Always loved rocky and great to see some his cards...this is a buy the grade not the card. Maybe I’m being to harsh but this shud be an 8...I notice a fish eye and is that the fly that was on mike pence now on rockys hat 😊 That flaw u can’t undo it once you notice it very noticeable

I've zero issue with the one in the "Meet Rocky" area in fact those kind of marks I consider part of the charm, but the other one in my opinion does diminish eye appeal

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

My guess is that the mark by the hat.......

MOLE!

Moley, moley, moley, moley!

mole.

Nice to mole you.....meet you. I mean, nice to meet your mole.

mole.

What I mean is, that mark may be on the case or scanner and not on the card.

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I opened a nice clean wax box that I purchased seven years ago. I would say that around 90% of the cards are badly OC. Hit two 'meet Rocky' cards. One with almost perfect centering and the other has 50-50 side to side centering and 75-25 top to bottom. All the stickers have the gum stain on the back.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

I also opened some of these boxes....it seems sets are $100+ nowadays....time to make some.

• ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trainer from Rocky II~"Can he swim?"......

Mickey ~"With a name like Rock?"