Options

Huge Staple on Proof Ike Error! How???

2»

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2021 9:00PM

@FredWeinberg said:
    Dr. A.K. Berry-he donated his fantastic collection of Ike dollar errors to be ANA just a few years before he passed away

Good to know. I wish the ANA would put their collection online like the ANS. The ANA will publish occasional articles show casing pieces but I really appreciate the ANS catalog pages with collection numbers.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

The ANA Museum has displayed Dr. Berry's errors,
    but it's been at least a decade or more - another
    display is due, I'd say.

He would love some of the Proof Ike errors that
    have come on the market in the past few years.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options

@FredWeinberg said:
    The ANA Museum has displayed Dr. Berry's errors,
    but it's been at least a decade or more - another
    display is due, I'd say.

He would love some of the Proof Ike errors that
    have come on the market in the past few years.

I've become fascinated by proof Ike errors due to their huge eye appeal.

• Options

I've sold a good number of Ike Proof Errors to both
    error collectors, and other coin collectors who just
    like the size, and look of a particular error on an Ike.

Some of them look fantastic in the oversized holders
    by both PCGS and NGC.

Jon Sullivan has also sold a lot of them to his customers
    also.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    Raybob15239Raybob15239 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:
    Meh. I'll hold off till they find a proof Ike struck over a Morgan. ;)

Shhhhh.... you'll give Daniel Carr ideas.....

Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:
    If they were made with help, they're not really "errors", are they? More like "intentionals".

Good point!

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2021 7:30PM

@BuffaloIronTail said:

@MasonG said:
    If they were made with help, they're not really "errors", are they? More like "intentionals".

Good point!

Pete

The error is that they were produced and left the Mint! ;)

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like most error coins this one does nothing for me, blah.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2021 9:38PM

@coinbuf said:
    Like most error coins this one does nothing for me, blah.

If you didn’t post that in other error coin threads, does that mean you liked them?

• Options
    edited March 23, 2021 10:07PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@Zoins said:

@Oldhoopster said:
    There were a number of spectacular errors on proof coins that came from the San Francisco mint in the 70’s. 1970-S quarters struck on a Canadian silver quarter and Barber quarter comes to mind. Some (many?) of these were in an abandoned safety deposit box sold by the state of California and purchased by Fred Weinberg. I wonder if this part of that hoard or if it entered through other channels? Every time I see a major error on a 70’s proof, the first thing I think is “shenanigans”

If they are shenanigans, they are some pretty good ones.

Give me access to a Mint facility for a day and I'll show you some amazing "errors".

I'd love to see what you can make at the ANA Summer Seminar! :+1:

Have you ever been to one?

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is my staple error. I believe that it is an honest mistake, and not an intentional "error". One neat thing about this coin is that the embedded steel staple makes it a magnetic steel cent (sort of):

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:
    Here is my staple error. I believe that it is an honest mistake, and not an intentional "error". One neat thing about this coin is that the embedded steel staple makes it a magnetic steel cent (sort of):

Did you strike this 64D Lincoln cent ?

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2021 5:47AM

@dcarr said:

I love how it lines up with the N one ONE and the bottom of the Lincoln monument perfectly!

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    There is a mint in Asia (Malaysia? Don't recall) where tons of intentional errors were made. They are very cheap to buy simply because they were openly made in quantity. If the US Mint did that the value would drop and there would be no "profit" to be made.

Was it Sri Lanka? There is an eBay seller right now with about a dozen off metals for sale at very low prices, and none of them even have bids.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Give me access to a Mint facility for a day and I'll show you some amazing "errors".

I'd love to see what you can make at the ANA Summer Seminar! :+1:

Have you ever been to one?

I think this one may have been assisted. ;)

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JRocco said:

@dcarr said:

Did you strike this 64D Lincoln cent ?

No. I obtained it in an old-time collection of (mostly) low-value minor error coins.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭✭

Imagine the Mint opening its own version of a Build-a-Bear Workshop. You pay to create your own mint error. Whatever you can come up with that can reasonably be made. Get a photo of the coin, your picture taken with it perhaps, then they take it from you and destroy it. Thank you and come again!

• Options

That would make our inventories' worth a lot more
    for error coins dated before they made 'em on purpose !

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

"We make coin errors the old fashioned way, we _____ them".

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@nencoin said:
    Imagine the Mint opening its own version of a Build-a-Bear Workshop. You pay to create your own mint error. Whatever you can come up with that can reasonably be made. Get a photo of the coin, your picture taken with it perhaps, then they take it from you and destroy it. Thank you and come again!

Why do that when you can simply create an error with Photoshop an sell it for $70M with a NFT ;)

• Options

@FredWeinberg said:
    I do believe that Proof Ike Staple error was made on purpose; my customers don't care, but they sure wouldn't want to knowingly buy a Morgan dollar that was artificially toned

It has that much interest because there are so few errors like this and it's from a Mint facility, regardless of how it was made.

This is like how a lot of pattern coins were collector ordered fantasy coins, but people buy them anyway.

What if it was artificially toned by the US Mint ;)

I thought we've talked about this numerous times before: collect what you like and don't collect what you don't like

That's all we can do. At least something like this is eye appealing and rare. That's enough to enjoy for many.

• Options

The most recent blog post I wrote on sullivannumismatics.com, touches on the proof errors on the market (both currently, and in the past.) Here's a link for interested readers: https://sullivannumismatics.com/blog/error-coin-market-and-proof-errors

www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.
  • Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's interesting that the inverted Jenny plate block error sold today never faced the scrutiny of intention. It showed up at a post office sales window on the first day of issue but could have been made deliberately on a whim. Or a criminal act for profit. Col. Green paid a huge sum for the sheet. It doesn't matter.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not pro or con on how it come to be but it is impressive.
    I do question how a staple of that size got into the press room.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    edited December 9, 2021 9:00AM

@WAYNEAS said:
    Not pro or con on how it come to be but it is impressive.
    I do question how a staple of that size got into the press room.
    Wayne

It looks like a packing / carton staple. I wonder if they have shipping boxes in the press room?

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-22480/Staplers-and-Staples/Uline-Stick-Staples-C58-5-8

• Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins

Sure looks like it!

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sellitstore said:
    It's interesting that the inverted Jenny plate block error sold today never faced the scrutiny of intention. It showed up at a post office sales window on the first day of issue but could have been made deliberately on a whim. Or a criminal act for profit. Col. Green paid a huge sum for the sheet. It doesn't matter.

It could have, but there's no evidence it was.

• Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭

thats a cool one. I am sure being a mechanical process, that machinery has issues with shaking things loose. I can imagine this being towards the end of the run, when fatigue has set in.

WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2ltdjorn said:
    thats a cool one. I am sure being a mechanical process, that machinery has issues with shaking things loose. I can imagine this being towards the end of the run, when fatigue has set in.

Probably was a promotional stunt for an office supply store... "Staples: We got that!"

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    smuglrsmuglr Posts: 407 ✭✭✭
    edited December 10, 2021 3:04PM

@sellitstore said:

And the 100 panes of right side up jenny that sell upwards of $75,000 that were produced intentionally by the USPS in 2013. Some of them were sent out as a free 'bonus' to repeat customers by the USPS.

• Options
    Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 10, 2021 6:10PM

At this point a very WELL a placed insider was making fun stuff & then was spirting his booty safely out of THE SAN FRANSISCO MINT. I like these goodies as they are real USA made coinage. But hand placed & hand struck oddities that were individually inspected are in my mind:

SHENANIGANS!!!

Just like those FIVE 1913 Liberty Nickels all owned by one ex Philly Mint employee in 1919.

Fun Stuff for sure, but not really errors. Yet are historically significant, rare & collectable & valuable.

• Options
    edited December 11, 2021 9:30AM

@LindyS said:
    At this point a very WELL a placed insider was making fun stuff & then was spirting his booty safely out of THE SAN FRANSISCO MINT. I like these goodies as they are real USA made coinage. But hand placed & hand struck oddities that were individually inspected are in my mind:

SHENANIGANS!!!

Just like those FIVE 1913 Liberty Nickels all owned by one ex Philly Mint employee in 1919.

Fun Stuff for sure, but not really errors. Yet are historically significant, rare & collectable & valuable.

I agree this is a really historically significant, incredible, and fun coin to make! It's one of the top Ike's to me, likely in the Top 10 with the clover and the bronze Ike, along with the working prototypes and 1976 No-S Ike.

So my question is, did you ask Ron and Joe to create one for you of a 1794 or 1804 dollar ;)

• Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

“…in the Top 10 with the clover and the bronze Ike, along with the working prototypes and 1976 N-S Ike.”

Definitely world-class Ike Dollars!

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file