Home U.S. Coin Forum

Canadian cent flattened by the Royal Train in 1901

JBKJBK Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know this is a foreign coin but there have been multiple threads on funeral train coins here so I thought I'd post it.

According to the stamping on the coin, it was crushed by the Royal Train in 1901.

The envelope it came in (not contemporary to the coin) mentions that the Royal Train was in Niagara Falls (the town, not in the water) on that day in 1901. It carried the Duke and Dutchess, later to be King George V and Queen Mary.

As with most all of these sorts of things, provenance is a little challenging and all you can really do is judge all the characteristics on their merits.

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting... Really only something of value if passed down through a family. No way to confirm authenticity otherwise. Cheers, RickO

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's still cool.

I recall leaving cents on tracks as a kid, myself, but I doubt anyone would care about the history of those pieces.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• rec78rec78 Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    It's still cool.

I recall leaving cents on tracks as a kid, myself, but I doubt anyone would care about the history of those pieces.

I tried this also-never found any of them after the train went by.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you find any remnants of the coin? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, Ricko, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, Jzyskowski1, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    It's still cool.

These days, you never know what will generate interest. Witness all the new collectors searching for things like microscopic double dies.

All glory is fleeting.
  • ms71ms71 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe on their way to the Pan American Exposition which was in Buffalo then (May 1 - November 2, 1901).
    The date is just a few weeks after president McKinley was assassinated there.

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    Can you find any remnants of the coin? Peace Roy

Good question.

There are some details here and there. The envelope had the coin's date written on it (don't have it in front of me) so someone with better eyes than me figured it out.

• derrybderryb Posts: 35,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a kid I never put one on the tracks. My older sister told me it would derail the train and I would go to jail.

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    As a kid I never put one on the tracks. My older sister told me it would derail the train and I would go to jail.

I went to the YMCA camp in town one year and there was a bluff at the edge of the camp that overlooked the tracks. We would run up the bluff and jump off to land on the train or catch the side handles and ride for a bit. The trains moved slowly, but I'm not certain I would want to do that again!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file