Home Sports Talk
Options

Is Bigfoot putting on an absolute clinic during free agency?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 21, 2021 9:25AM in Sports Talk

ESPN analyst Louis Riddick says Bill Belichick is putting on an absolute clinic during free agency. What do you guys think?

Comments

• Options

Here is the video of Riddick.

• Options

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

DD
    Is MC2 your gang affiliation?

I have to ask since that is at least your second mention of sasquatch (now on your avatar)

R U a believer?

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

@jay0791 said:
    DD
    Is MC2 your gang affiliation?

I have to ask since that is at least your second mention of sasquatch (now on your avatar)

R U a believer?

I'll just say this about sasquatch, you never know what's lurking around out there in the forest. I've spent a lot of time in the wilderness on camping trips, and I haven't seen them, but I've heard noises. I'll just leave it at that. 🤔

• Options
    edited March 21, 2021 5:38AM

The E =MC2 is a reference to Bill Belichick's comparison to other geniuses throughout history. He is a very complicated and scary man, most geniuses are.

• Options

For the record I am a believer.
    Not the slightest doubt in my mind.
    Most encounters are not visual.

My family and friends bust on me all the time. Including my best friend who lives in Whitehall NY where it is a "hot spot."
    He lives where the sightings were in the 1970's. His wife saw one but will not speak of it to anyone. His next door neighbor Paul Bartholomew is the local expert (written several books on the subject) the finding bigfoot show used when the did an episode there.

On another thread you mentioned camping/noises. The guy from Maine describes a situation that was most likely a non visual encounter.

For giggles I bought the Canadian $5 silver Bigfoot coin to keep this in the collectibles theme

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well if you got the money and cap space it’s easy to put on said clinic, He still needs a QB. 🤷‍♂️

• Options

@jay0791, Awesome coin! I have spent a lot of time camping, and have heard things, in particular at night, that were certainly very scary. That kind of stuff has always fascinated me, unexplained phenomenon. I haven't seen the show Finding Bigfoot yet, I'm going to have to check it out, my local library has it on DVD.

• Options

Unexplained Phenomenon is a great subject, Bigfoot, Loch Ness, Aliens, and stuff like that is awesome stuff to read ect.. the only subject I do not mess around with is supernatural, that stuff I stay far away from.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even most Belichick haters will admit that he's a genius.

The key question at his advanced age for a NFL head coach, is whether or not he still maintains his genius capability, or is it diminished or possibly even lost?

We shall see by around ten games or so into the upcoming season. The Patriots won-loss record will answer that question.

• Options
    edited March 21, 2021 8:59AM

• Options

BTW - all the "encounters" mentioned are not visual, they are all mental, and none of them are fact.

However in some folk's minds, the encounters are real to them, which is why they can pass a polygraph test when asked say about being abducted by aliens. They really believe it, but that doesn't mean it actually happened except in their own mind.

I've been out in the deep woods a number of times, hunting, fishing, and sometimes just camping. Even though i'm well read and fairly experienced on the matter, and also well armed including when i go fishing or camping, the woods can still play "funny tricks" on your mind when you hear a strange noise or see an odd shaped object.

• Options

@stevek, I'm not so sure a weapon would work against a bigfoot, they have really thick fur. If I encountered one, I would probably try to be friendly with it, maybe offer it some food.

• Options

@stevek said:
    BTW - all the "encounters" mentioned are not visual, they are all mental, and none of them are fact.

However in some folk's minds, the encounters are real to them, which is why they can pass a polygraph test when asked say about being abducted by aliens. They really believe it, but that doesn't mean it actually happened except in their own mind.

I've been out in the deep woods a number of times, hunting, fishing, and sometimes just camping. Even though i'm well read and fairly experienced on the matter, and also well armed including when i go fishing or camping, the woods can still play "funny tricks" on your mind when you hear a strange noise or see an odd shaped object.

Agreed, I’m always armed when I go off into the woods, fact is humans are always the biggest potential for a threat.

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    @jay0791, Awesome coin! I have spent a lot of time camping, and have heard things, in particular at night, that were certainly very scary. That kind of stuff has always fascinated me, unexplained phenomenon. I haven't seen the show Finding Bigfoot yet, I'm going to have to check it out, my local library has it on DVD.

@doubledragon said:

In my opinion, Finding Bigfoot is not very good. They really never find anything and it is boring.

I've read many books on this topic. If you really want a compelling read, check out Sasquatch: Legend Meets Science. written by noted researcher and professor, Jeff Meldrum. It's also available as a DVD which is also very good.

• Options

@bobbybakeriv, Thank you, I will definitely check that out, I love that kind of stuff!

• Options

Since this has morphed into a Bigfoot thread, I have changed the title of the thread.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2021 9:31AM

bobbybakeriv- agree with you on 'finding bigfoot'. I used to watch simply for entertainment.
    That video in your avatar is now 54 years old and still can't be proven to be a hoax.

BTW- I believe Jeff Meldrum is the footprint expert correct? If so I've seen him many times
    on TV and he is extremely credible. No nonsense, just the facts kind of guy.

• Options

Back in 2019, MLB player Jordy Mercer caught something mysterious on his deer hunting camera on his ranch in Oklahoma. He posted it on Twitter, and people started speculating that it was a bigfoot.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.coasttocoastam.com/alternate/amp/article/bigfoot-photographed-by-baseball-player-s-game-camera/

• Options
    edited March 21, 2021 9:37AM

jay0791 thanks for posting that coin, I may have to buy one however I know the premium
    on silver is pretty high right now. Cool looking coin. B)

Just remembered I have some ebay bucks coming up at the end of the month.
    I know what I'm using them on thanks to jay. LOL.

• Options
    edited March 21, 2021 10:04AM

Check out this Bigfoot video shot by a hunter in 2013. He spotted it while hunting and thought it was a skunk or hog, but wasn't sure, so he started filming it.

https://youtu.be/xb9YcIlkl_c

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    @stevek, I'm not so sure a weapon would work against a bigfoot, they have really thick fur. If I encountered one, I would probably try to be friendly with it, maybe offer it some food.

A .357 jacketed hollow point round would stop a t-rex if ya hit him in the right spot. Otherwise, you'd just make it mad. LOL

However the same round striking bigfoot, simply a large primate, would be the end of any potential problem for the shooter.

But offering it food isn't a bad idea. Make sure ya offer a cold beer along with it. 😉

• Options

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

A .357 jacketed hollow point round would stop a t-rex if ya hit him in the right spot. Otherwise, you'd just make it mad. LOL

However the same round striking bigfoot, simply a large primate, would be the end of any potential problem for the shooter.

But offering it food isn't a bad idea. Make sure ya offer a cold beer along with it. 😉

I'm not going to lie, I would be terrified if I came into contact with one. I would probably offer it the food and say, "well, I got to be going now, I have a dentist appointment." I would just want to get the heck out of there, they're savages. I've heard they eat live squirrels!

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    Check out this Bigfoot video shot by a hunter in 2013. He spotted it while hunting and thought it was a skunk or hog, but wasn't sure, so he started filming it.

So the guy saw bigfoot and was so frightened that he ran, but made sure that he recorded his feet running. 🙄

So it's either the usual gag with some guy in a gorilla suit, or possibly with the illegal importation of exotic animals, it's possible somebody bought a baby gorilla, but let it loose in the wild after it grew too large and uncontrollable beyond their capability to keep it as a pet.

A gorilla seemingly feeding at that tree is believable because their diet does consist of termites and ants, so it is an interesting video to ponder in that regard.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

I'm not going to lie, I would be terrified if I came into contact with one. I would probably offer it the food and say, "well, I got to be going now, I have a dentist appointment." I would just want to get the heck out of there, they're savages. I've heard they eat live squirrels!

It might only ask you if you've seen Fay Wray?

• Options

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

It might only ask you if you've seen Fay Wray?

Yes, the King Kong lady. That is the reaction I would probably have. She could have avoided that situation if she had some beef jerky. I suspect King Kong would love Jack Link's!

• Options
    edited March 21, 2021 11:25AM

Among my research into the unexplained, I was fascinated to learn that the United States actually has it's own Loch Ness Monster. In 1977, at Lake Champlain on the border of Vermont-New York, Sandra Mansi snapped this famous photo of the lake monster that lives in Lake Champlain. The lake monster has been spotted many times since, and they have named it "Champ". This is the most famous photo ever taken of it. You can see it's head and neck sticking up in the water as it surfaces for a brief moment.

• Options

Here is another view of the photo.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

i love this topic. I have been fortunate enough to have been out on both Lake Champlain and Loch Ness on boats. Loch ness is more intimidating to me because of both the depth and the lack of visibility. it gets as deep as 800 ft i believe.

and no, I didn't see either champ or nessy. it was fun though.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

as far as our friend bigfoot, we have one of the foremost experts right up here in Maine, Loren Coleman. he runs a Bigfoot museum up here. i have never seen one out in the woods in Maine, but I have spoken to a couple of people who have.

i would personally love to see one. I have heard some crazy noises out in the northern woods at night. I have found most of them to be made by Fisher Cats. they are a smallish wild cat, fairly nasty and sound like an adult woman screaming at night. talk about the hair on the back of your neck standing up. when I am camping out up north, I have either a .44mag or .500 mag revolver on me at all times. when you hear that screaming sound, both revolvers feel a bit light for the job even though I know what animal is making the noise.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    i love this topic. I have been fortunate enough to have been out on both Lake Champlain and Loch Ness on boats. Loch ness is more intimidating to me because of both the depth and the lack of visibility. it gets as deep as 800 ft i believe.

Man, you are lucky. I would absolutely love to visit Loch Ness and go out on the water. I have dreamed of it and imagined what it would be like! It's a very magical place, the monster, the atmosphere, the ruins of the little castles on the shore. Magical!

• Options

The Jody Mercer pics seem really fake. Looks like he staged those as a hoax.

• Options

I had to shoot an unknown creature with my 20 gauge shotgun yesterday afternoon.
    Wait, it was a known creature it was a skunk and it was wandering too close to the house.
    BTW- if you see a skunk in the daytime there's a good chance it has rabies or some other sickness,
    they are nocturnal. Luckily it had wandered into a wheat field when I shot it, it definitely wasn't
    acting right as it didn't even notice me about twenty yards away.

• Options

@Darin said:
    I had to shoot an unknown creature with my 20 gauge shotgun yesterday afternoon.
    Wait, it was a known creature it was a skunk and it was wandering too close to the house.
    BTW- if you see a skunk in the daytime there's a good chance it has rabies or some other sickness,
    they are nocturnal. Luckily it had wandered into a wheat field when I shot it, it definitely wasn't
    acting right as it didn't even notice me about twenty yards away.

you are right about that skunk probably being rabid. when you see skunks, coons porcupines and the like during the AM you are better off putting that animal down.

I have had to do that with a Porcupine and a Coyote in the past. both were either rabid or mangy.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@craig44 said:

Man, you are lucky. I would absolutely love to visit Loch Ness and go out on the water. I have dreamed of it and imagined what it would be like! It's a very magical place, the monster, the atmosphere, the ruins of the little castles on the shore. Magical!

It truly is a magical place. we spent the day and wandered around the ruins of Urkuhart Castle on the shore and spent the afternoon on the Loch. very cold and dark water. you are correct, the atmosphere is unique. there may or may not be a monster, but it is fun to consider the possibilities when you are there.

• Options

Read the story about the Coelacanth fish which was thought to have gone extinct around the time of the dinosaurs because of the fossil evidence. Then it was "rediscovered" back in the past century.

So a "living fossil" could technically still be found. But that was a fish living in deep waters in the remote ocean somewhere. To discover a large primate in the Pacific Northwest or discover a thought to be extinct large dinosaur in Scotland at this point in time, really seems quite implausible.

All those "famous" pics have been proven to be a hoax. Especially with the Brits, as hoaxes such as this are a humorous pastime with them - they love doing it and have a good laugh about it.

• Options

Darin
    I believe the coin was about $50. Usually it goes down after a while.
    Craig Whitehall NY is at bottom edge of Lake Champlain where "Champ" is said to be living. 'sightings' have been recorded for a very long time. For scientific reasons I do not believe there is a monster.
    Most films of bigfoot are hoaxes. The more you know the easier it is to pick them out.

The finding Bf show is truely like a bunch of idiots.

DD check out the paul freeman film.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2021 3:12PM

There is also another lake monster in Scotland, it lives in the Loch Morar, and in 1974, 75,and 76 scientists went crazy and became obsessed with trying to find it. They named the monster "Morag" and Adrian Shine, one of the scientists, actually built a capsule he could climb into and go underwater in. Adrian Shine has been looking for both the Loch Ness and Loch Morar monster for decades, and has made it his life's work just about.

• Options

@Darin said:
    bobbybakeriv- agree with you on 'finding bigfoot'. I used to watch simply for entertainment.
    That video in your avatar is now 54 years old and still can't be proven to be a hoax.

BTW- I believe Jeff Meldrum is the footprint expert correct? If so I've seen him many times

You are correct, sir. Meldrum is a PhD level anthropologist and very thorough in his analyses. I love the Patterson Gimlin film from '67 and it has NOT been proven do be fake though many claim it has been. Why on earth would some guy put breasts on a fake sasquatch costume? Plus upon close analysis you can see actual muscle movement as she strides away. I do not know for certain that such a creature exists but I believe there is legitimate evidence (e.g., statistically analyzing the casts made of their tracks approximates a normal distribution in both length and width which is what typically occurs in nature for all species). I am open to the possibility for sure.

• Options

@jay0791 said:
    Darin
    I believe the coin was about $50. Usually it goes down after a while.
    Craig Whitehall NY is at bottom edge of Lake Champlain where "Champ" is said to be living. 'sightings' have been recorded for a very long time. For scientific reasons I do not believe there is a monster.
    Most films of bigfoot are hoaxes. The more you know the easier it is to pick them out.

The finding Bf show is truely like a bunch of idiots.

DD check out the paul freeman film.

Yeah the '67 Patterson Gimlin film and the '93? Freeman film are both highly intriguing to me. Most of the films aren't very good. Some are outright laughable :p

• Options

The story of the Loch Morar expeditions in the 70s is very fascinating. Sightings of the underwater beast were becoming more frequent and teams of scientists swarmed on Loch Morar and began to investigate. It was the place to be in the 70s and Adrian Shine built an underwater capsule he could climb into and go underwater and look for the beast. A book was written about it.

• Options

@bobbybakeriv said:

@Darin said:

You are correct, sir. Meldrum is a PhD level anthropologist and very thorough in his analyses. I love the Patterson Gimlin film from '67 and it has NOT been proven do be fake though many claim it has been. Why on earth would some guy put breasts on a fake sasquatch costume? Plus upon close analysis you can see actual muscle movement as she strides away. I do not know for certain that such a creature exists but I believe there is legitimate evidence (e.g., statistically analyzing the casts made of their tracks approximates a normal distribution in both length and width which is what typically occurs in nature for all species). I am open to the possibility for sure.

The breasts thing always puzzled me also. I've heard that a hollywood monster costume designer said for that
    to be a costume the hair would have had to practically be glued on to a man of enormous size because of
    the muscles rippling. The thighs and legs are enormous and other than maybe Andre the Giant I don't know who
    could have filled that out if it was a costume. Another thing is the creature quickly and easily steps over
    branches and limbs and if it was a man in a costume there surely would have been some stumbling and tripping. IMO.

• Options

If you haven't rrsearched the "Honey Island Swamp Monster", then you should. It lives in the 200+ miles of swamp in Louisiana and was originally first spotted in 1963 by Harlan Ford. In 1974, Harlan Ford was searching for the beast, and shot footage of it walking through the swamp. It is believed to be kind of like Bigfoot. It's a fascinating story. Here's a little taste. You can see Harlan Ford's footage in this clip.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=88Laoa06ADE

• Options

I forgot about that one. That is creepy. I can't tell what it is but it looks pretty big.

• Options

For what I have heard Hollywood costume designers have said at the time of the 67 PG film nobody had that kind of talent or materials to make a monkey suit like. As 'patty' walks her bottom of her feet go perpendicular to the ground. This trait of BF walking was not noticed until decades later. This style of walking and feet in a straight line (6Ft Stride) can rule out 90% of the fakes alone.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

@bobbybakeriv said:
    I forgot about that one. That is creepy. I can't tell what it is but it looks pretty big.

Yes, it's a fascinating story, and they even give monster tours on the swamp in boats, very cool!

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

All well and good. The Patriots get heavy on defense and will go back to the double tight end offense. Still a glaring hole is Cam Newton. You can have the greatest receivers in the game but if the QB can’t push the ball down field you rely on 12 play drives.
    Just look at the Bills with Tyrod Taylor. They had Sammy Watkins and Robert Wood. Taylor threw for a grand total of 19 TD passes that year. The Bills scored 3 points in a playoff game.
    In today’s game you win or lose at the QB position.
    The Ravens have found it out 3 years running.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bobbybakeriv said:

@doubledragon said:

@doubledragon said:

In my opinion, Finding Bigfoot is not very good. They really never find anything and it is boring.

I've read many books on this topic. If you really want a compelling read, check out Sasquatch: Legend Meets Science. written by noted researcher and professor, Jeff Meldrum. It's also available as a DVD which is also very good.

Ok, I just swiped one of my wife's audible.com credits and downloaded this book. I'll let you know if harassment I receive for sullying her account with a bigfoot book is worth it when I'm finished listening.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options

Anyone who buys the hard copy book and it's got Bigfoot's autograph in there, i'd be suspicious of its authenticity.

Be careful, there are a lot of Bigfoot autograph fakes out there.

• Options

Ok, I just swiped one of my wife's audible.com credits and downloaded this book. I'll let you know if harassment I receive for sullying her account with a bigfoot book is worth it when I'm finished listening.

It contains some compelling evidence in terms of the statistical distribution of the creature and a thorough breakdown of the Patterson-Gimlin film including size comparison to a large human. I am not sure if it within this book, but I read where you can actually see two more of the creatures in the tree line if you look closely. I never noticed that but when the narrator highlighted it, I saw what he meant. However, this is not nearly as compelling as the primary subject of the film itself. Who knows but it is possible they they exist IMO. If this was a hoax it was the best ever constructed. The BBC couldn't even recreate it with any success a few years ago.