Home Sports Talk
Options

Carson Wentz answers the tough questions

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry, but if no one else is going to start a Carson Wentz thread about his Colts press conference yesterday then I must take the responsibility. It is my duty to report these things, and I must perform my duty! Anyway, Carson Wentz held a press conference and he was asked the tough questions about what went wrong in Philly. Heck, Philadelphia reporters Howard Eskin and Les Bowen even dropped in and asked Wentz a few tough questions. At times, Wentz didn't look thrilled to be answering these questions, but he did answer them. So, let's get started:

1. WENTZ ON HIS TERRIBLE PLAY IN 2020

"Last year came and went. It was a tough year for everybody... "

"Last year didn't go the way I envisioned it."

1. WENTZ ON WATCHING NICK FOLES WIN THE SUPER BOWL

"It wasn't fun. It's not fun when things are going so good for years, obviously the Super Bowl and all the things that happened, not being on the field due to injuries. As a man you have look yourself in the mirror and learn from it, become a better man, a better player. I am not going to lie — it wasn't fun, it was difficult."

1. WENTZ ON WHEN HE KNEW HE WANTED OUT OF PHILLY

"Green Bay [after being benched] was probably the moment when I realized 'this may not be it'... I had no idea if I was going to start, be on the bench, all of those things go through your mind."

1. WENTZ ON WHETHER HE DEMANDED A TRADE

"After the season, a lot of conversations with my agent back and forth and those type of things — it wasn't the season everyone envisioned, it wasn't how I envisioned it. I am not going to delve too much into those conversations."

"For starters, there were a lot of conversations at the end of the year with my agent and everybody, where I’m not going to dive into the specifics of that. As far as being a competitor, I’ve never once questioned my competitiveness, but at the end of the day this was outside of my control. I’m appreciative of everything that happened in Philly, with all of the opportunities. I know where I’m at today, and for five years I gave everything I had, on and off the field."

1. WENTZ ON REPORTS ABOUT HIS BEING A BAD TEAMMATE

"I am a competitor. I want nothing but to win... I hope guys know, whenever our paths go separate ways, that I cared about them and that I am going to be there for them.

"I am not a perfect human being. I have made mistakes in the past... I have flaws, I am going to do everything I can to be the best I can be.

"You wanna play the detective, find out who said it, who did what, and all of those things. But it’s like, does it matter? Whether someone feels that way or not, that’s what’s out there. So how can I learn from it at the end of the day? I think I’ve learned in this business and in life that you’re not going to make everybody happy. As much as you want to, you can’t. It’s unfortunate people have those opinions, but I’m going to learn from it and try to be the best teammate I can be. If any of my teammates think I wasn’t the best teammate, I apologize, and wish I could be better. Last year was tough for everybody, just building those relationships, but it’s something where given the environment this world is in, it takes being very intentional. So I look forward to doing that, and like I said, you want to play detective but at the end of the day people have their opinion and you do everything to be the best you can be.”

1. WENTZ ON JALEN HURTS

"Jalen and I had a good relationship and I wish the kid nothing but the best. He has a lot of ability and I was impressed with how quickly he grasped the offense and how well he did. I would have loved to have been the guy playing the year out, but that's not how it unfolded. I have a lot of respect for him."

"I trusted Howie and the ownership there to make the best decisions for the team and they showed me nothing but confidence and trust... I don't think that had influence on me one way or another."

1. WENTZ ON MEDIA LEAKS ABOUT HIM THIS WINTER

"I'll be honest, I didn't know I have been called washed up yet, that's a new one to me. I don't read what's out there or look at social media. Once the offseason hit I just wanted to get away, spend time with family, hunting and stuff, at the end of the day you can't please everyone... obviously you want everyone to view you in a perfect light but that isn't going to happen."

"For five years I gave everything I had," Wentz said, "and when I lie my head on that pillow at the end of the night, I know I gave it everything I ever had. "

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish Carson Wentz well, except when he plays the Eagles.

However his answer to question #2 is a bit puzzling, but since he is no longer an Eagle, i no longer really care. But i think if i was the starting QB having an MVP season, and got injured late in the season, sure I'd be depressed about getting injured but that's part of the game. I'd be extremely happy about my team and teammates winning the Super Bowl.

So that answer to me seemed quite a bit selfish, especially since he still got paid the exact same amount of money for the season, and even more money for the championship. My team winning the Super Bowl and me making the money, sure would be "fun" in my view.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea he gave it all he had but he sucked plain and simple 🤷‍♂️ And as far as any player saying they are not aware of what the media is saying or said about them then they are lying.

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2021 8:35AM

@stevek - I don't know nearly as much about the situation as you do, but I can understand his answer. His whole life he dreams of being a Super Bowl quarterback. You get to be the starting QB of a great team, but then get injured and see your replacement lead the team to a Super Bowl victory. Sure, you get the money and the ring, but you don't contribute much to the success. Knowing how tough it is to even get to that game and how many great players never play in a Super Bowl to begin with, I can see how that situation would be really tough. Of course you want the best for your team and your teammates, but being so close and yet still so far away would be hard.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options

I'm not going to lie, if I was Carson Wentz I would have been filled with bitterness, jealousy, and envy seeing Nick Foles steal my Super Bowl and get all the credit. I would have kicked his butt after the game.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2021 8:51AM

@doubledragon said:
    I'm not going to lie, if I was Carson Wentz I would have been filled with bitterness, jealousy, and envy seeing Nick Foles steal my Super Bowl and get all the credit. I would have kicked his butt after the game.

Yea but it was only because Wentz was hurt, if he was benched in favor of Foles over performance then I’d be pissed. That wasn’t the case though

• Options

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

Yea but it was only because Wentz was hurt, if he was benched in favor of Foles over performance then I’d be pissed. That wasn’t the case though

I'm just joking, I wouldn't be upset about it, Foles was just doing his job. I'm going to have a little fun with Wentz though. >:)

• Options

If I were Wentz, I would have been upset with having to see that statue of my replacement out front of the stadium everyday. If I was Wentz, I would have vandalized the Nick Foles portion of that statue.

• Options

@AFLfan said:
    @stevek - I don't know nearly as much about the situation as you do, but I can understand his answer. His whole life he dreams of being a Super Bowl quarterback. You get to be the starting QB of a great team, but then get injured and see your replacement lead the team to a Super Bowl victory. Sure, you get the money and the ring, but you don't contribute much to the success. Knowing how tough it is to even get to that game and how many great players never play in a Super Bowl to begin with, I can see how that situation would be really tough. Of course you want the best for your team and your teammates, but being so close and yet still so far away would be hard.

Frankly, i think this press conference is a good illustration of why the Eagles got rid of him.

I don't disagree with your basic premise. But to further add to my point. All that Super Bowl stuff happened in Wentz's second season in the league. So here's a QB, young guy, 2nd pick in the draft, his team wins the Super Bowl in which i've stated this before, would not have been possible without Wentz's regular season effort. Wentz was applauded for that effort. The team had a lot of talent going into the following season. And the team had so much confidence in Wentz that they got rid of Foles in the off season because of money. So Wentz while getting a tough break with the injury, had the whole world and bright future ahead of him. I just don't see how all that combined should be seen by Wentz as not having fun?

There had been rumors for years about Wentz's bad attitude towards a lot of things including his teammates. If Wentz would have displayed a positive attitude behind the scenes, i think he would still be with the Eagles. The Eagles would have kept him and hope for a bounce back season. I believe the combination of poor play and poor attitude was too much for the Eagles to take.

There are past examples of this, players getting traded or released because of having bad attitudes, and sometimes they are coming off decent seasons. Terrell Owens is a good example of that.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

Wentz tried to do that. He threw a punch at Foles, but missed and hit the wall instead. Wentz injured himself in the effort. Later on that day he injured himself again while chewing gum, broke a tooth or something. Then later he injured himself again while combing his hair.

• Options

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

Wentz tried to do that. He threw a punch at Foles, but missed and hit the wall instead. Wentz injured himself in the effort. Later on that day he injured himself again while chewing gum, broke a tooth or something. Then later he injured himself again while combing his hair.

Foles better be lucky, because if I were Wentz, I would have used every trick in the book to exact my revenge. What's Nick Foles gonna do when he comes to the facility and he walks right into my fan 'n' feather trap!

• Options

When you steal my Super Bowl, you pay!

• Options

@doubledragon said:

>

Just for the record, if the Eagles hadn't traded Carson Wentz, you would not have received any "LOL" from me.

i would not have found these dog head posts to be funny.

• Options

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

>

Just for the record, if the Eagles hadn't traded Carson Wentz, you would not have received any "LOL" from me.

i would not have found these dog head posts to be funny.

Understood. I've been waiting for this trade my whole life, and now it's finally happened. When I was young, my father sat me on his knee and said, "son, someday the Eagles are going to trade Carson Wentz and you'll need to be ready for that moment." That moment has arrived. Thank you for your LOL's Steve and your understanding of my destiny.

• Options

I do enjoy these tasty treat stories!

• Options

What's Foles gonna do when I get him with my toilet paper gun! >:)

• Options

What's Foles gonna do when he opens his locker and finds this!

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think anyone who plays at a professional level realizes that you either perform or you don't, that's the bottom line. Certainly circumstances come into play that are unavoidable, but those things contribute either positively, or negatively. A case in point is the very lucky last minute pass Eli made in the SB against the Patriots...turned out to be the winning play. Pass could have been dropped, but it wasn't.

Wentz just didn't get it done...better he had just sucked it up and been a bit more positive. Change of uniform and venue does not assure his performance will improve. Time will tell.

• Options

You wanna steal my Super Bowl Foles, I'll just steal your mailbox. Explain that to your mailman when he pulls up to your home every day!

• Options

You wanna steal my Super Bowl Foles, I'll send in my special trained tactical monkey's to steal your hubcaps!

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been on the record as saying that the statue, and whatever else goes along with that, psychologically ruined him for Philadelphia. He needed to get out.