Home Metal Detecting
Options

corn cob media

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know @Namvet69 & @ricko can advise.
I found this last year and tumbled it with sand and water...........too much.
I want to polish it a little more with corn cob media................... do I add water withe the media into the tumbler?
thanks

Note: these pics look ok but after them I ran the tumbler a little too long.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston Tblspn of Dish detergent in the water works better. I have a double rock tumbler. Don't use sand, you don't want to lose detail. Corn cobs are softer. For other heavy duty polishing jobs, Harbour Freight sells jars of plastic polishing points that self destruct while polishing. Good luck, check the item after an hour to see the progress and then every hour. It might not take that long. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

Thank you Sir @Namvet69
    Yes, the sand was too abrasive :'(

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options

@Namvet69
    dish detergent + H2O + corn cob ?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would use corn cob media in a Dillon vibratory case cleaner.... at first I would not use water or dish detergent.... Not that @Namvet69 is wrong... Just my preference... If you are going to use a tumbler than follow his instructions. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Thanks @ricko
    thanks @Namvet69

You would laugh if you knew what type of 'tumbler' I've been using for my detecting finds :#

• Options

@1630Boston .... OK... We could use a good laugh.... What type of tumbler have you been using?? :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston Yes, I agree with @ricko that dry corn cobs can definitely do the job. What was I thinking? So inquiring minds want to know, what's your gizmo? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

It is a $29 plastic rock tumbler that I bought my child 10 or 12 years ago.
    Worked well cleaning my finds last year but I saw a nice vibratory tumbler at Cabelas last week.... :)

• Options

@1630Boston .... A good vibratory tumbler... for cleaning brass cartridge shells... will work great. Do some experimentation though, since leaving coins in for too long will smooth them right off.... Cheers, RickO