Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Guatemalan Pillar Set - Work in progress with some new additions

The gallery below is my WIP Guatemalan Pillars. All but a few coming from @MrEureka and most with an important provenance identified. Five minors just added.

For those not familiar with the type, the minors are exceptionally difficult. Nearly all are rare, many are basically unknown problem free. Richard Stuart built an amazing collection and many of these coins are sourced from his set.

Likely the finest known Guatemalan 1/2R, ex. Stuart

No known provenance

Ex. Huntington

No known provenance

Ex. Stuart

Ex. Patterson

No Known provenance

Ex. Stuart

Ex. Patterson

Ex. Haberthauer

Ex. Calberto, finest known

Ex. Stuart (and likely Canaparo & Irigoyen) A wonder coin of the rarest date and clearly finest by a mile.

Ex. Stuart, Patterson

Ex. Huntington

Comments

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's quite a start. As I wrote in a prior post, one of a low proportion (especially of any length) that is scarcer and harder to buy than mine (Bolivia and Peru pillars).

Most series can be completed in one day to a few months in "high quality".

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking forward to seeing how far you'll be able to take this set. Incredible undertaking.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice!

• Options
    ELuisELuis Posts: 838 ✭✭✭✭✭

View T Full Coins indeed!

I found this from Richard Stuart Collection in MS63, the price accessible, not too bad:

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Looking forward to seeing how far you'll be able to take this set. Incredible undertaking.

I d believe that I will be able to complete the 8R's in time but the challenge is in the quality I want. The others will be a life long challenge.

Same here for my set though I am not trying to buy all the 8R. There are a few coins though that I'm not sure I will ever be able to buy.

• Options
    Crazy8sCrazy8s Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

Guatemala Pillar 8 reales are a real challenge, good luck with the hunt. I have been looking for nice undamaged ones for years and so far only have a small hand full. Are you only going for the round milled coins or are you going to include the cobs struck from Pillar dies?

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some beauties for sure congrats!!!

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crazy8s said:
    Guatemala Pillar 8 reales are a real challenge, good luck with the hunt. I have been looking for nice undamaged ones for years and so far only have a small hand full. Are you only going for the round milled coins or are you going to include the cobs struck from Pillar dies?

Sticking with the milled series. No need to make this harder!

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Killer set!

• Options
    ELuisELuis Posts: 838 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck on this!, I have seen the collection from your signature, amazing stuff for sure - and envy in a good way.