Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Brown Penny's 1909 - Date

Being New I see nothing that talks about brown penny's at all you tube for example. Wheats very very common in brown.
1959 - 1982 copper i cant find anything on grading them for a collector and I don't see a market to collect them other than you may not be able to collect Nickels, Dimes, Quarters and above. When I was young everyone wanted the best coin you could find in every year and mint. Is that a Market that has Died or is it just well hidden? Coin shops both physically and on the internet mostly only deal in silver and gold coins or bars etc.. Not for coin collectors like in my younger days. I have alot of what I had for over 40 years, Alot of that I see has problems coming from the 2x2 cards you stapled back then and I see still are being used but being in storage while I was over seats as military or as a government engineer supporting Military.
Errors are and is talked about all day long in most forums are very hard to find from what I have heard on Utube, and forums.
Can I get some feedback?
Been almost 2 months alot of internet searching. searching some forums and gone to 4 different coin shops and beginning to get depressed. Not alot of talk or chat about general collecting that I was raised on. I am thinking having the best of each coin is boring now. Bank rolls are nice to do. waiting until I win some money or my kids get rich and sponsor me a grand to pull larger bank rolls. like 25 cent and above. I cant even get 50c or Dollar rolls without getting 500 or 1k of cash at least here in my area. but I will keep checking with other banks on min I can get at a time.
Sorry Alot in this discussion in fact I could have started 30 of them just feeling frustrated. 😞

Comments

• Options

Again Sorry if to many Questions any guidance?

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I focus on Lincoln Cents mostly.
    Are you asking about brown uncirculated Memorial Cents, or brown circulated cents?
    There is a niche market for BN Lincolns (59-82) but it's a thinly traded market and most collectors are looking for coins mellowed down to brown that also have some nice toning.
    These coins would be mint state or uncirculated.
    There is no market for circulated Lincoln Memorial Cents.
    Sure, they're fun to pull from circulation and fill books, but I am unaware of anyone who makes a market selling them.
    The profit needed would not justify the time involved.

• Options

Ty wasn't trying to really sell them but not much out there on prices and grading i guess trying to figure it out
    alot of toning being now a variety. Didnt see or hear about much toning guess internet changed that. Thanks to know some one else collects pennys still.
    Ty

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a simple and easy to study system to help grade your brown cents.
    WS

https://pcgs.com/photograde#/Lincoln/Grades

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good link above.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kdchrist.... Actually, Lincoln cents are widely collected. They do not get as much press as some other coins (i.e. Morgans, Walkers), but there is a strong collector base...Check the registry sets here too. I am sure this thread will get some collectors to chime in and you will make some connections. Good luck, Cheers, RickO

• Options

register sets? you mean proof or uncirculated?
    Ty all for reply making me feel better. Need that in my life Thank you.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kdchrist said:
    register sets? you mean proof or uncirculated?
    Ty all for reply making me feel better. Need that in my life Thank you.

Registry sets are sets that collectors put together with coins that have been graded and put in the plastic TPG holders, if you click the link in my registry set it will take you to my Lincoln set registry. I have been a long time Lincoln collector and there are others here that collect Lincolns as well. Most collectors still want the very best quality coin that they can afford; there are some collectors that love coins that are so worn that they look more like slicks than coins and refer to themselves as low ball collectors.

If you can attend a small local coin show in your area you may be able to find dealers the still sell circulated coins, however its not worth the time or space for dealers to list low value $1-$2 dollar coins on a website.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

Nice link you grade alot .
    Great sized collection. I just have alot of coins. Going to take a while to take pictures and create my own list I hope.
    But I cant register them cost to high.
    But nice to look through yours as a guide. Cheers

• Options

I am setting a goal to collect the best 50 pennys from 1909 to date. big goal but I have the time . lots of time and a son that goes get me rolls 2 times a week. lol. just have to read more and stay away from eBay. to confusing at the moment.
    Cheers good luck finding the coins you want.

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

WaterSport has posted the best link to figure out the grading aspect.
    Most of the Lincoln pennies in my collection came from pocket change that had been collected over the past few decades. The key dates however had to be sourced from the internet and LCS. Ditto for the Lincoln Bicentennial coins (P&D) of 2009 because the couple of coins that I had from pocket change were in "meh" condition. The 1909 S VDB in good condition at cheaper price tag was the toughest one so far in this series. :wink:

• Options

Ty for input

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still pull the new cents as they are released for my books. If I forget then I have to buy them and that is a chore, I agree. I have dozens and dozens in 2x2's and many books of them as well. So, I have to pull more than one for circulation. I enjoy watching for them but do not expect to see any profit......unless I live another 75 years and that's doubtful, 'eh?

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

I collect for fun and take care of stress. Always love coins and Paper.
    Doctors are happy not just becoming Veg, I do feel better since I started collecting again.
    Cheers and Good luck

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been buying later whitman albums, breaking them down, and looking at the coins.

A hundred raw AU/BU coins can flatten the learning curve pretty quickly.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options

I am searching bank rolls looking for Wheats and possible errors, Just got a simple microscope yesterday to try and look closer at the coins.
    Hope it will help. lol
    tired old eyes I have.
    good luck filling the books I will try and fill a 2nd book also maybe 3rd for Kids
    need 1909 s vdb lol.
    Cheers

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file