Home Sports Talk
Options

Finally...March Madness is here

coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

Due to covid, it got cancelled last year. The draw just came out yesterday. The four #1 seeds are Gonzaga, Baylor, Michigan, and Illinois. Discuss, predictions?

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

Comments

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

I-L-L

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

I-N-I

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gonzaga seems to be the heavy favorite. After them any of a half dozen or so teams can win it all.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since UGA aint in it - go Ga Tech, Go Big Blue

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember when the NCAA hoops tournament included individual players whose names were "household names" known nationwide (and even globally). For example Kareem, Bill Walton, Magic, Bird, Jordan, David Robinson, Clyde Drexler, Hakeem The Dream, Patrick Ewing, Allen Iverson, Tim Duncan, etc. They were know to basketball fans and were known to the general public.

Not so today (and for the past 15-20 years).

I cannot tell you the name of any college basketball player that will be playing in the NCAA tournament. The best of the best USA born players today either spend one year in college (not even one year because as soon as hoops season is over they leave school to prepare for the NBA draft); or they skip college all together, train for a year (or play in a minor league or play overseas) and then go to the NBA.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Iowa, Kansas and Virginia are the 2, 3 & 4 seeds, respectively, in the bracket with Gonzaga. Gonzaga beat all of them earlier this year.

As a Gonzaga fan, I am hopeful that they'll win the whole shebang. They certainly are good enough but we all know that doesn't mean much. They could have won in 2017 but for bad officiating and a wet floor. It doesn't take much to change a team's fortunes.

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭

@DrBuster said:
    Since UGA aint in it - go Ga Tech, Go Big Blue

No Go Big Blue this year I'm afraid, because as my generation would say, we SUCKED. WE BITE. So yeah, just like in 2013 I've got no reason to care about the NCAA's this year.

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Illinois looks tough for the above poster, but the smart money is going on Gonzaga. Whether Gonzaga survives this grind/tournament is another question. Anyone can get beat on any given night.

• Options

The NCAA tournament is a grind but it is spread out over three weekends.

The NAIA national tournament in the past (and maybe today) had/has a format that is even a tougher grind. 32 teams would square off and play loser go home, winners advance in a tournament that from opening round to the title game took place in 5 days.

Hoops heaven.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

Clark Kellogg, Seth Davis, and Tim Brando all picked Gonzaga to win it all. I saw them do it.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't watched a single second of college hoops this year, so here are my picks ...

Pretty sure I'm going to be rich in a couple weeks.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

i see what you did there! i appreciate the love. if your pick comes to fruition i send you golf card B)

• Options

Wondered if you'd catch that. Gotta guess a few upsets to keep it interesting, couple each of 14 & 12 seeds should do it.

• Options

Not sure where I saw an interesting pool, but someone mentioned you get to pick 5 teams in the tournament.

You get a point for each win (not counting play in games) x the seed. So if you pick a 10 seed and they win 2 games, you would get 20 points. Picking a 1 seed and they win it all (win 6 games), you would only get 6 points. Kind of keeps people from picking the favorites.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:

Wondered if you'd catch that. Gotta guess a few upsets to keep it interesting, couple each of 14 & 12 seeds should do it.

it has been interesting reading some Longhorns boards this week. i expected people to say "who is this team" and "we might win by 50," but it has been more along the lines of, "if we execute we won't have a problem," but "if we don't we very well could"

i know a lot of UT grads. a lot. they will have to collectively block my number if the unthinkable happens

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

it's hard to pick through the first two rounds, too much crazy that can happen.

• Options

Nobody else has the cahones to post their picks? Sad.

• Options

I think Illinois will not go far, only because they've been on such a good run already, and are bound to lose a game.

I don't think they're that much head and shoulders above even a Michigan team. I think they're beatable in the second round, or possibly third.

• Options

@Goldenage said:
    I think Illinois will not go far, only because they've been on such a good run already, and are bound to lose a game.

I don't think they're that much head and shoulders above even a Michigan team. I think they're beatable in the second round, or possibly third.

I think they trounced Michigan.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2021 4:11PM

Since the tourney is in Indiana and the Big Ten just played their conference tourney in Indy they should have an advantage. No excuses. I'd feel better for Michigan if Livers wasn't out. No doubt Illinois is the hottest Big Ten team going. I'm just thankful there is a tourney.

Illinois has an excellent shot. I’ll go with them

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:
    Illinois has an excellent shot. I’ll go with them

m

Post your bracket, sissy!!! ;)

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

I've never in my life filled out a bracket. Never will. Don't really watch or follow the tournament until the last 16 or 8.
    My pick is Gonzaga.

• Options

@Goldenage said:

@LarkinCollector said:

I've never in my life filled out a bracket. Never will. Don't really watch or follow the tournament until the last 16 or 8.
    My pick is Gonzaga.

They would be the first team since 1976(Indiana) to go undefeated if they win the tourny.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have Baylor winning it all.

Baylor-91
    Gonzaga-88

That's right, I don't know jack squat about basketball... B)

• Options

@coolstanley said:

@Goldenage said:

@LarkinCollector said:

My pick is Gonzaga.

They would be the first team since 1976(Indiana) to go undefeated if they win the tourny.

In 76 two teams entered the final four undefeated. That is very unusual.

• Options

My dark horse this tournament is Houston. Now watch them lose the first round.
    They're on a nice little win streak and have played close games all season, beating some pretty good teams.

There are so many good teams in this tournament. Then there is one good team with so much depth.
    That is Gonzaga.

I really can't see Gonzaga losing a game. I watched them once this year where a team with two 7 footers gave them fits in the first 10 minutes of the game. They adjusted, and went on to win. They just keep rolling out 10 guys who could start on Baylor, Illinois, or Michigan.

They could lose, but I don't see it coming.

• Options

I have 3 entry's. I have Houston, Illinois and Gonzaga on top in them.I'm pulling for Houston as no one else has them in this 200+ pool

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    i see what you did there! i appreciate the love. if your pick comes to fruition i send you golf card B)

https://youtu.be/gu4XsZo005I

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oral Roberts just messed me up..... :#

• Options

@Bullsitter said:
    Oral Roberts just messed me up..... :#

Never a doubt you would be first in

m

• Options

Day 1. This has also been one of my favorite days in sports. Especially with hardly any non conference games played this year. Wonderful

m

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    Since the tourney is in Indiana and the Big Ten just played their conference tourney in Indy they should have an advantage.

So, yeah, about that...

• Options

@Tabe said:

@Justacommeman said:
    Since the tourney is in Indiana and the Big Ten just played their conference tourney in Indy they should have an advantage.

So, yeah, about that...

Air ball

m

• Options
    edited March 21, 2021 12:08AM

Congrats@galaxy27!

Go ACU!

m

• Options

And Illinois poops the bed. Loyola played great and were by far the better team today. Excellent team. Come to play or go home

m

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats to Loyola of Chicago... seems history has a way of repeating itself... Illinois lost to Loyola of Chicago in the NCAA Tourney in 1963

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bracket buster day with Loyola, wonder how much coin vegas just ate up minus the cinderella bets.

• Options

@Goldenage said:

Goodbye Illinois.

• Options
    edited March 21, 2021 4:27PM

Number 3 West Virginia bites the dust

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

March, my favorite time of the year. If it rains around here. College basketball.....not so much.

• Options

The talent level in D1 hoops is spread out across all D1 teams. The number of legit D1 level talented players increases (drawn from a global talent pool) while the # of D1 teams does not.

The historically top programs still draw the best talent, but turns it over every year when one and done players go pro. Thus the top programs lack continuity.

All of the above, when mixed together in the national tournament results in numerous shocking upsets (that in reality are not that shocking).

Maybe multiple Cinderellas will make it to the final four this year.

• Options

What a week for Oral Roberts.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    Number 3 West Virginia bites the dust

Instead of playing like a boss, they bit the dust like a queen.

• Options
    edited March 22, 2021 4:53AM

I'll make a prediction that Gonzaga will beat Oklahoma by at least 20 today and the non-believers will realize that it's
    going to take a valiant effort to beat this squad.

• Options

My other prediction is that Michigan will save face for their conference today and get past LSU.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

rock on Oral Roberts!!! :p

• Options

@Goldenage said:
    My other prediction is that Michigan will save face for their conference today and get past LSU.

2. Iowa falls to #7 Oregon.

It’s up to the Wolverines to step up.

• Options

PAC 12 has 4 teams advancing to the Sweet 16.

• Options

@Goldenage said:
    I'll make a prediction that Gonzaga will beat Oklahoma by at least 20 today and the non-believers will realize that it's

Ended up being 16 in what, really, was an off day for them.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@Goldenage said:

Ended up being 16 in what, really, was an off day for them.

Which even gives more notice to the non-believers. It was an off day. That kid from Oklahoma was fantastic, and yet they still had total control of the game.