Home Metal Detecting
Options

Large cents

Anyone gettin rid of dug up large cents..?

Successful transactions with: Jinx86, Flcardtrader, Robkool, JWP.

Comments

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

PM sent.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would be saving any I found... Old copper coins are really interesting. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    HiBuckyHiBucky Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

I have dug up over 300 since 1989. I found 5 in one hole and my best day was 12 at one site. Most are in the 1820's and 1830 range. I have dug a few in the 1790's and a few in the 1800's- 1810. The topper was a Fugio Cent in pretty good condition. I have done well on State Coppers, NJ, Conn. NY. We have this guy who comes out to NYS to detect from Texas. He just can't get over how we find them here. He said , they don't find them in Texas

• Options

@HiBucky ... Wow... that is amazing... Where - in general terms - are you located? Must be the Northeast. Cheers, RickO

• Options

I am in NY. I really like finding them but like most LC they are in poor condition.

• Options

@HiBucky ... I am in NYS also... Catskill Mountains....A very historical area here, but have not heard of people finding many large cents.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

No ... Not me!

• Options

Most of my hunting is in WNY and Mt Morris .. Just one Gold Coin from a field and a George Washington Button broken but nice.

• Options

@HiBucky ... I am in NYS also... Catskill Mountains....A very historical area here, but have not heard of people finding many large cents.... Cheers, RickO

Ricko, Most of my best fines are not from maps, book, written history but from dumb luck, walking and looking. The best sites have no written history but exist. Walking in a field seeing a little hump in the farmers field turned out to be a camp from the Erie Canal. As I got close I started to see broken glass. The site produces reales, and 12 large cents. Cents were dated in 1820's and before. A trapper I saw waking around the Genesee River I asked him have you ever seen an area with a lot of surface glass during your journey. HE told me of a farmer field, I get permission and another day with many large cents and a Hard Times Token. (No written History) . Walking along fields near creeks are the best. 1820, 1822, 1821 Bust dimes found just roaming around. Yes, I have wasted a lot of time but when you are lucky enough to find a spot, it makes for a great day. And last, I see a farmer about 80 years old. I asked him if I could detect his land along the river, he tells me when he was a kid the old farm was over there, He then tells me the old fair grounds was over there. I SAY WHAT !!!!! I found 8 seated on day one.... Need I say more but that was a dream come true.

• Options

@HiBucky.... Wow... Amazing... Sure, I have no doubt you did a lot of non-productive walking and looking. However, when you find those sites... What a thrill. Thanks for sharing your story, and I will watch for such areas when I get out - in the spring/summer. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing @HiBucky

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a bunch, but I have to find them

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    SandWSandW Posts: 23 ✭✭

Been MD'ing 1800s rural home sites for 25 years, and these are the few large cents I've yet found. The holed cent came from Cass County Illinois, the rest were dug up at the same farm site in Christian county.
    The top one is 1829. The oldest coin I've recovered.

• Options

Nice finds.... I have always liked the old large cents.... Never found one MD'ing though.... Cheers, RickO