ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

~0.75 g platinum crystal
konder massif
khabarovsk krai, russia

don't sneeze - I may never find it 🤏• 😂

Comments

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is very cool. Does it come with authentication?

• Options

@Meltdown said:

thanks - I thought it was a unique piece - it does not have anything like a certificate from a licensed institution - just a couple different cards [most recent typed, older one hand-written] from its history in commerce

understand it would be better if it had a more official provenance - does the lack of something like that hurt it from future commercial transactions?

I'm not a big flipper of things I collect; a long term collector, but always good to know

• Options
    davidkdavidk Posts: 275 ✭✭✭

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

@Meltdown said:

thanks - I thought it was a unique piece - it does not have anything like a certificate from a licensed institution - just a couple different cards [most recent typed, older one hand-written] from its history in commerce

understand it would be better if it had a more official provenance - does the lack of something like that hurt it from future commercial transactions?

I'm not a big flipper of things I collect; a long term collector, but always good to know

A friend of mine bought some raw 'platinum' like that. The took it to his LCS and they scanned it with an XRF machine and it turned out to be fake.

• Options

@davidk said:

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

@Meltdown said:

A friend of mine bought some raw 'platinum' like that. The took it to his LCS and they scanned it with an XRF machine and it turned out to be fake.

oof ... telling me the ghost stories and it isn't even noon yet 😅

good lookin out; buyer beware

will have to have this reviewed at some point, but for now, I'll live in this dream ☁️

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 12, 2021 10:31AM

Assuming you bought it from a trusted place, I wouldn't worry too much about it until you decide it's time to sell, then have it verified.
    Having said that... I bought this ingot nearly 10 years ago and recently got around to verifying it's silver content only to find out it's mostly lead covered tin.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

way cool :)

• Options
    element159element159 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭

I like the native Pt, assuming it is real naturally.

• Options

@Meltdown said:
    Assuming you bought it from a trusted place, I wouldn't worry too much about it until you decide it's time to sell, then have it verified.
    Having said that... I bought this ingot nearly 10 years ago and recently got around to verifying it's silver content only to find out it's mostly lead covered tin.

oh no ... sorry to hear that

my B&M guy has shown my a sawed gold brick that was lead filled, and a tear def went down my cheek 😥

• Options

@johnny9434 said:
    way cool :)

thanks yall!

• Options
    edited March 12, 2021 11:21AM

@element159 said:
    I like the native Pt, assuming it is real naturally.

me too - and yes, now something to be concerned abt - was excited as the largest crystals I saw on eBay for instance were <0.5g or thereabouts, so liked the relative largeness of this one

• Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

9 of 10 "rare nuggets" sold on the internet are not what they purport to be.

• Options

@drei3ree said:
    9 of 10 "rare nuggets" sold on the internet are not what they purport to be.

good thing I didn't buy it on the internet 🤓

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is cool... I have never seen a platinum nugget/crystal.... For some reason, I never even considered it. Spent all my 'hunting' efforts on gold nuggets. :D Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    That is cool... I have never seen a platinum nugget/crystal.... For some reason, I never even considered it. Spent all my 'hunting' efforts on gold nuggets. :D Cheers, RickO

I'd never even considered it either - discovered the opportunity and jumped on it [we'll see if that ends up being a good call or not 😂] - even as novel as a platinum crystal is, I'd be more of a gold nugget collector too - if only I had gold nugget collecting money 😅

• Options
    element159element159 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭

I think there are few places besides Russia where there are native platinum nuggets. That is partially why Russia is basically the only nation to have tried circulating platinum coins. Gold nuggets are found in many more places.
    I'd like to work on a collection of native mineral elements, so someday I want something like this!

• Options

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ.... Yeah....I did not buy my nuggets... way too expensive. I got them the hard way, panning etc.. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Meltdown said:

Those are easy to create.

thefinn
  • Options

@element159 said:
    I think there are few places besides Russia where there are native platinum nuggets. That is partially why Russia is basically the only nation to have tried circulating platinum coins. Gold nuggets are found in many more places.
    I'd like to work on a collection of native mineral elements, so someday I want something like this!

just picked up some native silver tonight - really like, after years of buying the refined stuff, to get some natural pieces to appreciate

• Options
    edited March 13, 2021 11:51PM

@ricko said:
    @ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ.... Yeah....I did not buy my nuggets... way too expensive. I got them the hard way, panning etc.. Cheers, RickO

that's awesome - dream of mine to travel and pan

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:

ricko, Is there a forum/message board you like that could assist a noob like me with getting started? In my area of VA we have an place called Gold Vein VA that my buddy has land on.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

@Cakes... I am not on any forum/message board for gold panning ... I did all my panning etc. years ago in California, Arizona, Washington State and New Zealand. There was no internet for much of that time. Now I live in a non-gold area so really have not done any prospecting in years. Try doing a search for 'gold panning', 'gold prospecting'....I am sure there will be some available. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Ricko! Sounds like fun. Good luck collecting!

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow ... That's nice.

• Options

thanks, @Jimnight - valid points and caution brought up in thread - getting me aware of and researching local XRF assessment / testing facility

I purchased from who I consider to be a reputable dealer, but aware that somewhere along supply chain, there may have been a potential for unscrupulous actors