Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The "Van Gogh" Error type

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 9, 2021 7:26PM in U.S. Coin Forum

When trying to think of a name for this type of error, the "Van Gogh Error" immediately comes to mind!

This is a Ron Landis and Joe Rust Gallery Mint Museum Piece with photos and provenance from SF Numismatics.

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's an eary lookin piece of metal. :)

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hear you! Peace Roy Gotta love a major malfunction.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

:D What a great - and immediately obvious - name for an error coin. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2021 2:21AM

This was picked up by error dealer Jim Cauley and sold to Stef!

Here are Jim's photos and description:

This is a bonded die cap error, as there are two planchets involved, not one. A portion of the bottom planchet appears to have broken off, as a part of the error. The reverse is blank, as it was likely struck against another planchet.

38mm at its widest, pewter.

Here's a link to Stef's thread:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1054210/so-which-one-of-you-attended-the-ana-summer-seminar-and-did-this#latest

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file