Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The 100 Greatest U.S. Error Coins

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 9, 2021 5:13AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Post photos of the 100 Greatest U.S. Error Coins here :)

1862 Indian Head Cent - #3 of 100 Greatest Errors - PCGS MS67 - Ex. Harrison Phillips, Bob Simpson

Here's Number 3. Just ran into this again and noticed it's sporting a new TrueView!

I saw the old cert number on Heritage for the Simpson sale and now it's sporting the new cert number on the same lot. I think Heritage had the coins resubmitted for the sale and the cert numbers got changed.

This sold for $40,800.00 back in September!

Comments

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

That split IHC die cap formally NGC MS67 came out of Million Dollar Error Collection that David Lawrence handled about 15 years ago.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great book... For anyone interested in coins, or specifically in errors... It contains super pictures and information. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey Fred....the new Sagagawea/Presidential dollar mule belongs in there.

What about the 2013(?) fractional gold eagle with the narrow reeding intended for the Buffalo coin of that size?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The new Sac./Pres. Mule would qualify, but I don't think
    the Reeding Varieties would, imo.

And, we (Dave C. and I) haven't talked about another edition at this point.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

And who here thinks that wasn't brought out of the mint by a mint employee?

@Zoins said:

1862 Indian Head Cent - #3 of 100 Greatest Errors - PCGS MS67 - Ex. Harrison Phillips, Bob Simpson

Here's Number 3. Just ran into this again and noticed it's sporting a new TrueView!

I saw the old cert number on Heritage for the Simpson sale and now it's sporting the new cert number on the same lot. I think Heritage had the coins resubmitted for the sale and the cert numbers got changed.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    The title of that book is very misleading. It makes promises it doesn't deliver. The Greatest Error of All Time isn't even listed.

Luckily I have a photo of it. ;):D

2016P NICKEL OVERSTRUCK ON 2015P NICKEL - Greatest Error of All Time - MS66 - Ex. US Mint, Loomis

Better get cracking on your own book. :)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not to play one-upsmanship, but if that Jefferson Nickel belongs in the book, so does this Liberty Head Nickel:

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    edited March 9, 2021 7:19PM

@amwldcoin said:
    And who here thinks that wasn't brought out of the mint by a mint employee?

@Zoins said:

In that day and age, it could have been legitimately sold out of the Mint ;)

• Options

@2ndCharter said:
    Not to play one-upsmanship, but if that Jefferson Nickel belongs in the book, so does this Liberty Head Nickel:

That is an awesome coin and very difficult to improve upon! The only way it could be better is if it was a 1913!

• Options
    edited March 9, 2021 7:27PM

I have to say what is really striking about the Phillips-Simpson 1862 IHC Die Cap in the OP is that I've never seen any other error like it, even from shops that purposely put out intentional "errors". Are there any like this?

Many other errors like wrong planchets, off centers, double strikes, double denominations, die caps, clusters, etc. are somewhat common. Well, clusters aren't that common but there are a handful.

• Options
    edited September 12, 2021 12:30PM

1943 Lincoln Cent--Overstruck on a 1943 Mercury Dime - #39 of 100 Greatest errors - MS62 (NGC)
    Ex. Bill Fivaz, John Whitney Walter
    Realized (Aug 15, 2018): $33,600

Here's Number 39. This is a pretty insane double denomination error. I especially like the cent reverse on the Mercury dime obverse!

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-BINUG/1943-lincoln-cent-overstruck-on-a-1943-mercury-dime-ms-62-ngc

Provenance: From the John Whitney Walter Collection. Earlier ex Bill Fivaz, imaged on the cover of the Midwest Error Coin Collectors Association (MECCA) journal, April 1973; our (Bowers and Merena's) sale of the Bill Fivaz Collection, July-August 2003, lot 3217; Heritage's Denver, CO Signature & Platinum Night Auction of August 2006, lot 4013. Pictured on page 50 of the 2010 reference 100 Greatest U.S. Error Coins by Nicholas P. Brown, David J. Camire and Fred Weinberg, where it is ranked as No. 39.

• Options

1961-D Franklin Half Dollar Struck on a Cent Planchet - 87 of 100 Greatest U.S. Errors Variation - NGC MS67 RB

The book lists a 1963-D Half Dollar on a Cent Planchet as number 87. This one is the same error type but 2 years earlier!

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-J4SBL/1961-d-franklin-half-dollar-struck-on-a-cent-planchet-ms-67-rb-ngc

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@2ndCharter said:

That is an awesome coin and very difficult to improve upon! The only way it could be better is if it was a 1913!

I like that better than any of the 1913's <3

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey Fred- Didn't you guys forget one? :)

• Options
    nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭✭

@Broadstruck said:
    That split IHC die cap formally NGC MS67 came out of Million Dollar Error Collection that David Lawrence handled about 15 years ago.

We owned that piece (very briefly) back in 2003 when it was in the NGC MS67 holder;

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That particular Nail wasn't out in 2010, and yes, there
    are numerous other great Error coins that have come
    up that would replace some of the #'s in the book.

Also, we specifically had to limit our voting choices back
    in 2009 to those coins we could take new photos of -
    and had access to - so many pieces were not available
    for voting. (think: 1915 Lincoln Cent on a $2.5 Gold planchet
    that has not surfaced or been seen at all in around 100 years)

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@USSID17 said:
    Hey Fred- Didn't you guys forget one? :)

Is that really an error? ;)

Some extreme errors are questionable, but that one leaves no doubt. :*

• Options
    USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FredWeinberg said:
    That particular Nail wasn't out in 2010,

I guess I was mostly being facetious with my statement and challenging/insinuating if in fact that is a real/legitimate mint error.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file