Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1976 Eisenhower No S Type 1?

I got six Eisenhower dollars from a customer the other day, and one of them seems like it could either be in really good condition, or possibly a proof, but it's difficult for me to tell with the incredibly limited knowledge I have.
It has no mint Mark, and it has the classic, bold lettering on the back.
Just curious if anyone can tell me any info on this, thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Raybob15239Raybob15239 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

Does not look like a proof.

Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019
  • Options

@Raybob15239 said:
    Does not look like a proof.

Thanks, Do you know if it has any silver content?

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

probably not, weigh it -> the silver clad weigh 24.6 grams while nickel clad weigh 22.7 grams

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks polished.

P Mint coins do not have silver content.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

a spender

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,797 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree that it looks polished. Why would someone polish it? I don't know, but folks do strange things to coins.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    IntueorIntueor Posts: 310 ✭✭✭✭

Right, only "S" mintmark is silver.
    It is hard to judge from the images but it does appear to be a Type 1.
    Again, it is hard to tell from the images but the surfaces of this coin appear exceptionally clean.
    If the piece was never polished and a sharper photograph shows minimal contact marks and/or hairlines, this would be a good submission candidate.
    A high-grade slabbed MS66 Type 1 commands a respectable premium @$1,500.00 and a "+" grade is moon money.
    Good Luck!

unus multorum
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

To see if an Ike is 40% silver, look at the edge. It will show three layers, the center layer being silver or grey (darker than the outer layers), (Regular cupro-nickel will show a copper middle).

But the color in the pics shows Clad to me. Also, as noted, there are no P mint silver Ikes.

• Options
    Raybob15239Raybob15239 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

Fields look exceptionally clean and it may be a good candidate for slabbing if not polished. Better pictures with better lighting would be helpful. It does look like there's a rim ding on the obverse by Y. Picture is not clear enough to see whether its a ding or a very tiny clip. Marks on the rim from 9:00 to 11:00 might knock it down as well.

Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rim Nicks will hurt the grade. The spot at the bottom of the obverse is distracting also. Does appear to be Type 1.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a proof... Pictures are very out of focus... so not sure about details. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file