Home U.S. Coin Forum

1799 Draped Bust Dollar

HalfpenceHalfpence Posts: 403 ✭✭✭✭

I’m looking for your thoughts on the value of this coin (low end). Also, is there a way to authenticate? Thx in advance.

Comments

• thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 7, 2021 4:39PM

You could either submit it to a top grading service like PCGS for authentication/grading or if you don't want to spend the money for that, show it to a few well known Bust coin dealers at the next coin show for their opinions.
    In my non-expert opinion the surfaces look unnatural from your photos like it was made in a mold or something and then roughed up to look circulated. JMHO though.

I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

Something looks off to me. The rims are nice and crisp like a mint state coin but the obverse and reverse surfaces look all pitted and wrong.

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 7, 2021 4:43PM

@Halfpence said:
    Also, is there a way to authenticate?

you just did it.

the images you have provided are MORE than good enough to determine instantly this coin isn't authentic as it is not a really good copy.

alternatively, if you'd like another method. pull up professional-level images up for coins of similar grade and closely compare yours to them. i'd use more than 1 set of images for comparison.

any money you spend on this coin, will be the equivalent of taking $150 outside (for first-time submission is what it will run you) and burning the money.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• HalfpenceHalfpence Posts: 403 ✭✭✭✭

I’m grateful for all your comments. Thank you!

• vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭✭

Definitely has that cast look, as stated by TomB.

Vplite99
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭✭

A fake, as others have said.

All glory is fleeting.
  • truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

Also remember there is a proper way to hold a coin, and that is by its third side or its edges. For the future when you find the real deal, hopefully.
    GL

edited March 7, 2021 9:07PM

@trueblood said:
    Also remember there is a proper way to hold a coin, and that is by its third side or its edges. For the future when you find the real deal, hopefully.
    GL

Makes a lot of sense. This is not my coin, nor am I holding it. But I'm very glad to know.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 3rd side of the coin screams fake to me more than the obv. + rev.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Clearly a fake, as others have said. Looks like a casting which has been rub aged....Cheers, RickO

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 8,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

When a surface looks like dull porous concrete, it is very suspicious and stay away is a good policy.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

The other dead giveaway that there were problems with the coin was when the seller said, "I don't know anything about this coin..." it takes all of 30 seconds to Google the coin to get a rough understanding of what it is. The seller's disclaimer is an effort to remove liability.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file