Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The largest Civil War Token I've seen!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 11, 2021 4:43AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I'm guessing this is Photoshop given the Fuld number, but I really can't tell! :D

Comments

• Options
    QE GuyQE Guy Posts: 306 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's not a pick of the coin in the holder. It's a pic of the coin and a pic of the label put together into one image.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

eBay?

• Options
    edited March 7, 2021 4:46PM

@Smudge said:
    eBay?

Where else? :)

Sellers have to get creative!

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is an “official” Civil War token that is bigger than a half dollar, but this isn’t it.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    There is an “official” Civil War token that is bigger than a half dollar, but this isn’t it.

Heck, there's one Civil War "token" in the new and (unfortunately) definition expanded storecard catalog bigger than a Morgan $.

• Options
    edited March 8, 2021 8:21AM

@tokenpro said:

@BillJones said:

Heck, there's one Civil War "token" in the new and (unfortunately) definition expanded storecard catalog bigger than a Morgan $.

To me “Civil War Tokens” should be ones where the creation of the type and use was tied to the Civil War. For example, tokens used to replace the 1 cent coins. There’s a lot of historical context there with the War.

A type of token issued previous to the Civil War shouldn't necessarily be considered a "Civil War Token" because a merchant was just active during the Civil War years.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@tokenpro said:

@BillJones said:

To me “Civil War Tokens” should be ones where the creation of the type and use was tied to the Civil War. For example, tokens used to replace the 1 cent coins. There’s a lot of historical context there with the War.

A type of token issued previous to the Civil War shouldn't necessarily be considered a "Civil War Token" because a merchant was just active during the Civil War years.

There are many Civil War tokens that have a stated value higher than a cent. This is especially true among the sutler tokens that were used by merchants and soldiers. They should be included in the series.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2021 8:59AM

@BillJones said:

@Zoins said:

@tokenpro said:

@BillJones said:

There are many Civil War tokens that have a stated value higher than a cent. This is especially true among the sutler tokens that were used by merchants and soldiers. They should be included in the series.

Agreed. The 1 cent token was an example. Sutler tokens certainly fit what I wrote for "ones where the creation of the type and use was tied to the Civil War."

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 847 ✭✭✭✭✭

The slippery slope basic precept that has been headed downhill for 40+ years is the erosion of Civil War token (wartime money substitute) to a "token" struck/molded/strung during the Civil War. Even the publication name has been revised to reflect the expansion.

• Options
    edited March 8, 2021 9:51AM

@tokenpro said:
    The slippery slope basic precept that has been headed downhill for 40+ years is the erosion of Civil War token (wartime money substitute) to a "token" struck/molded/strung during the Civil War. Even the publication name has been revised to reflect the expansion.

It's unfortunate in my opinion.

Perhaps we shouldn't be surprised as pattern coins are used to describe collector-ordered fantasy coins and restrikes are used to describe privately-issued copy coins.

I wonder if my 70mm Major Anderson medal will be considered a Civil War "Token" one day ;)

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the largest Civil War token ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file