Home Precious Metals

I've seen a lot of dumb stuff on youtube, but...

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 7, 2021 10:22AM in Precious Metals

This has to be one of the dumbest.

This is from a couple of years ago. Guy seems to have way more money than brains. He eventually gets a double-engine shredder that allows him to grind gold bars easier. Because cutting them with a saw would be too easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwVz1p2C3iE&ab_channel=PressTube

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol what’s the point!! I agree, so dumb

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

His video has received 14 million views, so hes made between $10,000-$20,000 from the video. And possibly more.

Who said stupidity doesnt pay?

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:
    His video has received 14 million views, so hes made between $10,000-$20,000 from the video. And possibly more.

YouTube changed its algorithms a few years back so revenue is a fraction of what it used to be. My kid has a video with 4 million views and hasn't received a penny. Not saying he hasn't gotten paid, just suspect it's likely far less than that much money.

Also, I just did a quick search on shredders like this. Best I can figure is they run $10k to $15k at least. He's got two of them. Again, he uses them in his fabrication of gold object--good on him. But sometimes a dumb bomb ($500 band saw) is better than a smart bomb.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stupid is as stupid does I gather

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss said:

@cohodk said:

YouTube changed its algorithms a few years back so revenue is a fraction of what it used to be. My kid has a video with 4 million views and hasn't received a penny. Not saying he hasn't gotten paid, just suspect it's likely far less than that much money.

Also, I just did a quick search on shredders like this. Best I can figure is they run $10k to $15k at least. He's got two of them. Again, he uses them in his fabrication of gold object--good on him. But sometimes a dumb bomb ($500 band saw) is better than a smart bomb.

Does your kid have ads on his video? The OP video starts with 2 ads. I didnt watcb the whole to see if there are other imbedded ads.

This dude has other videos that have garnered over 500 million views. The shredding of the gold bar attracts viewers to his orher videos, and he sells merchandise. He has probably a million $$ doing "stupid" stuff.

Im not condoning his activities, but this video is the same as offering a free box of cereal to shoppers. It gets them in the door and they buy other stuff. Give away a $1 to make $10. Genius.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

Big money in being dumb

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow..... Maybe I should get into this YouTube thing.... I have been known to do some weird/dumb things in the past. Imagine what I could achieve if I thought about it?? :D;) Cheers, RickO

• Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Haven't watched the video, to me it seems like a neater cleaner way of piecing out a bar. Cutting with a band saw requires a cooled blade. Messy and hard to reclaim your shavings. For me the best was to reduce bars is melting with a torch and pour as shot in a large steel pale full of water. I also have a large hydraulic sheer that I piece bars out with as well.

@Jinx86 said:
    Haven't watched the video, to me it seems like a neater cleaner way of piecing out a bar. Cutting with a band saw requires a cooled blade. Messy and hard to reclaim your shavings. For me the best was to reduce bars is melting with a torch and pour as shot in a large steel pale full of water. I also have a large hydraulic sheer that I piece bars out with as well.

I mean. He could have just beat on it with a $10 5-lb drilling hammer. Watch the video. Gold is way too malleable, so it just stretches and tears and gets caught in his machine. He has to run it over and over again just to have bites taken out.

--Severian the Lame
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:

@Weiss said:

@cohodk said:

Does your kid have ads on his video? The OP video starts with 2 ads. I didnt watcb the whole to see if there are other imbedded ads.

This dude has other videos that have garnered over 500 million views. The shredding of the gold bar attracts viewers to his orher videos, and he sells merchandise. He has probably a million $$ doing "stupid" stuff.

Im not condoning his activities, but this video is the same as offering a free box of cereal to shoppers. It gets them in the door and they buy other stuff. Give away a $1 to make $10. Genius.

Exactly! If someone only looks at the surface and makes the judgment from that, maybe the one they are judging isn't really the stupid one.

I hate the youtube ads (I hate all ads) but I know that when I watch some videos, I often find myself branching to other ones by the same person (for example: there is a person who does a lot of Craps videos.....probably a dozen or more. I have watched each one...some multiple times....started with finding just one of them).

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss said "Guy seems to have way more money than brains."

I assume this is just a manner of speaking -- a commentary on the silliness of shredding a gold bar and the silliness of the 14 million people (now including me!) who watched it.

Just from watching the video, the guy is obvious extremely bright. Also, if look into "Press Tube" you'll see that the guy as a one man shop has created a YouTube channel with millions of subscribers, dozens of videos with 10k plus views, many above 100k and quite a few above a million. He clearly has money because he has brains.

Higashiyama
  • YoloBagelsYoloBagels Posts: 151 ✭✭✭

The guy most likely doubled his money with the ad revenue. Also it's literally just a generic gold bar with no real premium. At worst he will lose a few grams from the melting process, assuming he doesn't just sell the scrap for melt.

There's really nothing dumb about it.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I rather like the poured kilo gold bar myself... I wouldn't have the heart to destroy it.
    But I'm a bar nerd anyway. :D

• ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

OMG that is so far beyond stupid that it's awesome!! :D

--Severian the Lame
  • RMLTM79RMLTM79 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

@Weiss said:

@cohodk said:

I believe a 1,000 subscribers is required and your account monetized to be paid.

• CoinCoinsCoinCoins Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

it makes sense completely if you ask me

14m views is roughly $20k+, i think

and as he says, it's just changing it's shape. which gets melted down for a project. which'll be another huge video probably. net positive. for sure. it's actually the opposite of stupid.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

The hoi polloi have divided into defenders and those attacking this guy .
    why do either ?

I merely observe and pass no judgement .

The ways of the universe are many grasshopper

• dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

The ways of the universe are many grasshopper

Spock, explain.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wrong network :#

• First ever reverse alchemy!